Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night snacking the healthy way?

• 18-06-2005 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Every 2nd week or so I find myself working the late shift and getting home at 3, 4 and sometimes 5 in the morning. The temptation for a quick and easy toasted sambo with cheese is always there but Im trying to cut out bread altogether from my diet, i also know that cheese and dairy at this hour is very bad for you.

What healthy late night options do I have? I find myself starving some nights and just needing a quick bite on others. Im trying peanut butter on Ryvita lately, it seems to hit the spot and is nowhere near as bad for me as bread. Anyone else in the same position with their eating cycle? I dont intend on turning into a blob, my waistline is pretty good at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to always roll in drunk and eat a feast of crap junk food. Now I eat full tins of peas or beans. Iceberg lettuce dipped in hot salsa is ok too, some of those salsa have very little calories.
    Peanut butter is usually 50% fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Don't keep foods that you might end up eating when you come in late that you deem unhealthy. The thing is to only buy healthy stuff and then you don't have the option to snack on junk. Try making a fruit salad or any other salad before you go out and leaving it in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

toast a brown pitta bread and dip in humus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

Some good advice there. Going to try and hunt down some humus is M&S or Tescos. I dont think beans are such a good idea, high in energy carbs (not good if you want to sleep) and a good bit of sugar as well. Stuck with soup with no bread tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Noodles are good (not instant Koka/Pot noodle, but udon or soba), esp if G.I. is a worry for you. A few veg chopped and stir fried with noodles is a pretty decent meal. If it's just white bread you want to avoid, get some McCambridges and have some scrambled eggs with it. Actually, eggs are great as a filling healthy snack. Omelette, scrambled, boiled, poached... all so good.

(Again, if G.I. is a worry for you, I would avoid the Ryvita, I believe it has quite a high G.I. despite being a "health food")

• Advertisement
Advertisement