Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinging accross the network ?

Options
  • 18-06-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to check my network card by doing the following , while ingame and on TS , run a ping -t from my other pc .

I would have thought ," open a cmd box , type ipconfig , get ip of this pc , 192.168.1.1 , start playing , go to other pc , open a cmd box , type ping -t 192.168.1.1" , but this is what I get ::

C:\Documents and Settings\Jon>ping -t 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 13, Received = 13, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    Control-C
    ^C

Now both pc's can see each other and I can transfer files over and back . Both are using xp pro . I am using the netopia caymen 3347nwg . I can even play lan games on them and see the ingame ping .

Anyone able to tell captain stupid here where I am going wrong ?

Thanks

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I cannot see anythign wrong with it, ping -t is pring until stopped. So what was the problem?

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

tcob1 wrote:
    I cannot see anythign wrong with it, ping -t is pring until stopped. So what was the problem?

Should this not have some figure in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

It never gives summary data when on your own internal network.

Try it with something like ping -t www.yahoo.com and it gives the summary

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It did give summary data, correctly rounded to the nearest millisecond.

oscarBravo wrote:
    It did give summary data, correctly rounded to the nearest millisecond.

aha , now we are getting somewhere , I tried it while playing a game between the two games and the ingame pings said it was around 10 , but when I quid the dos pings that were running in the back round said the same 0 ms , is this normal ?

Thanks for the help guys .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jonski wrote:

Should this not have some figure in it ?
    No from the OP the pings are <1ms .
    While other OS's give the number in fractions of a milisecond , windows doesn't usually.

why not do a tracert www.yahoo.com it will show longer ping times the further you go

No from the OP the pings are <1ms .
    While other OS's give the number in fractions of a milisecond , windows doesn't usually.

why not do a tracert www.yahoo.com it will show longer ping times the further you go

I am actually being requested to do a ping -t to this pc as a test of the network card/network . I have done all the tracerts to clarity.jolt and eircom.net . This is all because of an intermitent problem with high latency that I am having while trying to play games online .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could also do packet size tests - only relevant if other people on the same service can have larger packets reliably.

Ping -f - l 1472 (try 1492 too.)

Ping -l 15000 (try different numbers to see the max stable size)

You could also do packet size tests - only relevant if other people on the same service can have larger packets reliably.

Ping -f - l 1472 (try 1492 too.)

Ping -l 15000 (try different numbers to see the max stable size)

I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later , yup , you lost me . At this stage i don't think it makes that much of a difference as I even tried changing the lan card and I still have the same latency problem .

The main part that I couldn't understand was , how come when I set up a server between teh two pc's and play a game vrs my son , the 2nd pc says the ping is 5 to 15 , but in the back round I have the ping -t running and it says 0 ms ? thats the part I don't understand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

jonski wrote:
    2nd pc says the ping is 5 to 15 , but in the back round I have the ping -t running and it says 0 ms ? thats the part I don't understand .

simple.. the in-game ping is based on timing game-related packets as opposed to a small icmp ping packet.. more data being transferred the longer the round-trip time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

I cant understand why in gods name u even need to do this ping test.
    Ping is only an echo based test. It tells you the connection is alive and its rough speed.

Why is it that you were asked to run this test?
    jonski wrote:
    This is all because of an intermitent problem with high latency that I am having while trying to play games online .

This has very little to do with it.
    Who asked you to do these tests?
    And who is ur ISP?

Kali wrote:
    simple.. the in-game ping is based on timing game-related packets as opposed to a small icmp ping packet.. more data being transferred the longer the round-trip time.

aha , see if ye put the time in ye will be able to teach me , but it ain't gonna be easy .

what if the ping jumped up to 175 ms , would that signify a game related problem or a network or network card problem ?

John.

ps: I love the helpfulness of this place , I just wish someone would ask a question that I knew the answer to , like , my name or stuff , and , ah , stuff

Tech Pete wrote:
    I cant understand why in gods name u even need to do this ping test.
    Ping is only an echo based test. It tells you the connection is alive and its rough speed.

Why is it that you were asked to run this test?

This has very little to do with it.
    Who asked you to do these tests?
    And who is ur ISP?

Sorry you sneaked in there while I was replying to the other post .

It is a really long story that I will try to break down a bit here .

Playing a game called Tac-ops for years online , from 56k up to 1024/128 now and also use teamspeak . Iam with eircom and have always had a good connection , on 56k I used to get 5.2 download speeds , on 512 , 49.9/51.1 and now on 1024 , 106 or so . Back in march just before the upgrade , my ping started to go crazy , from an adverage of 60/70 in would steadily grow to 300,800, 1500 , and at some times even reached as high as 6000 , then it would drop off again , then up again . Some nights fine some nights unplayable , but nearly always at night .

So , I uninstalled and reinstalled the game , then teamspeak ,tried loads of different firewalls , then formatted , then got rid of my usb modem and bought a netopia caymen 3341 , then waited for all the upgrade work to be finished , all the time in light contact with eircom . Eircom support took it on and talked me through all they could think of , and eventually last week sent out an engineer to check my setup ( line wise ) and do a line check . Line tested fine , so he gave me a new modem , 3347 ethernet/wireless , still no difference . Now they are talking about moving my line in the exchange itself .

All along I have had a second pc networked up and started using this to ping and tracert ip's while playing online to try and catch this and have done with the likes of this ...
    Tracing route to www.ireland.com [195.7.33.37]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254

2 1690 ms 1587 ms 2033 ms b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3 2767 ms 3000 ms 2465 ms 83.71.114.97

4 1629 ms 2245 ms 2328 ms 159.134.125.45

5 1547 ms 1635 ms 1642 ms 159.134.203.179

6 1382 ms 1265 ms 1423 ms www.ireland.com [195.7.33.37]

So , in answer to your question , the eircom support guy asked me to do this , jsut while I was waiting for the line change , as at this stage I don't think he could think of anything else .

John .

hope your not sorry you asked ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder if you've got a virus of some kind raping your internet connection in the background? This looks very like the effect of a few of the sasser-style LSAS worms - they consume your upstream bandwidth whilst trying to spread themselves, which would cause brutal pings in the thousands like you've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Also possible that there's alot of customers on your DSLAM, if it's intermittent it could be the effect of other people doing small downloads, browsing etc. but deffinately do as Stephen says and check for viruses.

Netlimiter is another program you might want to try, it limits the bandwidth usage of just about any app running on your machine but it can also log and monitor the usage of those programs.

Another option is to run Ethereal in the background and log to a file, game for a few minutes with a clock beside you, wait for a few bursts of lag, exit out and check the time-stamped lines in the log correlating to the periods of lag, might give you some more insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Scan any other PC's on your LAN too, if there's a virus sucking up your bandwidth it might not even be on your own PC.

Stephen wrote:
    I wonder if you've got a virus of some kind raping your internet connection in the background? This looks very like the effect of a few of the sasser-style LSAS worms - they consume your upstream bandwidth whilst trying to spread themselves, which would cause brutal pings in the thousands like you've got.

I am open to this suggestion , but I have run system scans with norton avg and trends housecall , but I am going to investigate this again just in case .
    SyxPak wrote:
    Also possible that there's alot of customers on your DSLAM, if it's intermittent it could be the effect of other people doing small downloads

Suggested to the support guys that it kinda looked like contention , but they say they are no where near that and have oceans of bandwidth , and sound genuine about it .Also , today they have switched my port in the exchange ( if that is the right expression )

SyxPak wrote:
    Netlimiter is another program you might want to try.
    Another option is to run Ethereal in the background and log to a file

Gonna try both of these .
    Stephen wrote:
    Scan any other PC's on your LAN too, if there's a virus sucking up your bandwidth it might not even be on your own PC.

This happens with or without the other pc on the network .

Thanks for all the replies guys , will update after I have tried the above .

John

Advertisement