Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband €25.79

• 18-06-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

BT seems to be the current offer about at present - €49 inclusive of line rental & vat.

Eircom line rental = 24.20 inclusive of VAT which means the additional charge including VAT from BT is just €25.79 and no sign up fee.

They also give a 2.50 / month discount if you accept online billing.

I've given up on UTV - they have a bunch of morons in the cust serv centre.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mcaul wrote:
    I've given up on UTV - they have a bunch of morons in the cust serv centre.

While it is still a good idea, BT's billing department is as bad or worse then UTV.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Also, if you read the terms, there's a minimum spend on phone calls you sign up to with the broadband.
    I was just about to sign up when I decided to peruse the terms and found that gem. I don't make phone calls from my landline, therefore a minimum charge of €25/month is effectively the same as paying €75 a month for me.
    Depends on the user obviously, but I think there's a lot of people in the same shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 divinebright

hey cult...was just going to sign up to feckin BT before i read this...is this an issue if you dont signup for line rental, just the broadband ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cult,
    I've had a quick look through my T&C's and can't see any mention of any minimum call spend. I rang BT today, to confirm it but they were closed. Will try again on Monday.

If there is.... :mad:

ambrose :cool:

EDIT: I had a quick look on their website, and sure enough its there. But it says "THIS APPLIES TO CALLS ONLY CUSTOMERS AND DOES APPLY TO BT SINGLE BILL CUSTOMERS"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I just went live with BT yesterday and this is the first I've heard of the minimum spend of €25 on calls.
    There is no mention of it in the T&C's I received in their e-mail and I went by their "Talk" phone package product description page on their website when I was ordering.
    https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2Fadvantage

But there seems to be a contradiction in their "Help & Support" section where it mentions the minimum spend.
    http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=378&p_created=1085489956&p_sid=qmREgjIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTIyNCwyMjksMjQ5JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9My4yNDkmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
    You won't be the only one on the phone on Monday.

EDIT: Just saw your edit Kingambrose :D . Have you a link?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It'd be great if it's just ambiguity on the website, but if so they should really clear it up rather sharpish, this is the single factor in my decision not to purchase their product.

This is page I was looking at in the "Help & Support" section.
    I clicked on "Billing & Pricing" in the "Internet" section, and typed "is there a minimum spend?".
    I originally came across it by fluke looking for minimum something else.

Here ya go.

clicky

Just under the "Submit Rating", there should be a link for "What is the Talk Minimum Monthly Spend commitment?"

Although "Is there a minimum spend?", says its €50 for 2 months.

Hmmm :confused::confused:

One of the reasons (of many) I moved from Eircom was because I had a minimum call spend, which I never knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

kaizersoze wrote:
    I just went live with BT yesterday and this is the first I've heard of the minimum spend of €25 on calls.
    There is no mention of it in the T&C's I received in their e-mail and I went by their "Talk" phone package product description page on their website when I was ordering.
    https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2Fadvantage

But there seems to be a contradiction in their "Help & Support" section where it mentions the minimum spend.
    http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=378&p_created=1085489956&p_sid=qmREgjIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTIyNCwyMjksMjQ5JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9My4yNDkmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
    You won't be the only one on the phone on Monday.

EDIT: Just saw your edit Kingambrose :D . Have you a link?

NTL - 1 Meg €25 per month....... :D

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

*sigh* We know.

Update

Rang BT this morning. Thankfully, there is NO minimum call commitment (for single billing customers anyway, I didn’t ask about CPS).

Apparently in 2003 there was a minimum of €25 per month call spend commitment, and then it was reduced to €15. In September 2004 this was removed completely.

*phew* Happy Days!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Ambrose :D
    I'm just after ringing and am waiting for the call back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Well i'd get that in writing or at least a physical copy of the T&C's.

Good thinking Tech_Pete. Copy requested! Just have to email customer care. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

So when you get BT broadband line rental do you have to switch over to their telephony service as well? Balls to that! I'm destined to be stuck with UTV forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have signed up to bt today for the broadband with line rental, I had already line rental with them. Can anyone tell me how long it will take before i'll get my router and be able to use broadband.

My broadband transfer hasn't gone as smoothly as I expected. They had my transfer order in on their system from the 10th June. Still not active. No modem yet. I haven’t received any call from them. I can see it when I track my order online. Its down as "status: none"

Hopefully, it'll be worth the savings in the long run… or at least till another ISP offers something better. Gotta love that “no minimum contract.” :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

anyone know the most hassle free way of migrating from iol anytime (:rolleyes:) to iolbb (sans line rental & calls)

Willem D wrote:
    I have signed up to bt today for the broadband with line rental, I had already line rental with them. Can anyone tell me how long it will take before i'll get my router and be able to use broadband.
    I had BB & calls with UTV and line rental with Eircom. BT received my transfer form on the 1st of June. I went live with them on Wednesday the 15th and received my router on friday 17th. I was still live with UTV until I logged onto BT so there was no downtime at all.

Ambrose,
    Thats only 5 working days. Ring their sales number and chase it up. Ask for the name of the guy you're talking to and ask for him or mention his name if you ring again. I found them pretty good. BTW. I got a similiar answer to you this morning about the minimum call charges :D

kaizersoze,
    You're right it was only 5 working days. Didn't even think. Just took it as 10days! :D Ah well. Did you happen to get a new user/pass sent to you aswell?

Hopefully the transfer will happen soon enough.

I was asked to choose a username and password as part of the online application process but when they rang to say I was live I asked them for it to make sure.
    I could have logged on with them on the wednesday but I was just typing in my username and forgot to put "@iolbb" at the end of it :rolleyes: :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Have had BT for nearly a year, no worries. Did some phone deal as well and its way cheaper than Eircom>Think its so funny;asked Eircom for deals and they promised me 3 times "its in the post". Got sick of waiting so went to BT and now constantly getting phone calls from Eircom saying "would you like to change back" fook off!!!!!
    Hate Eircom,terrible service and IMO have been fleecing the country for years and have been finally found out.Thats just me though,everyone has their own opinios and stories.

nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I just signed over to line rental on top of the BB with BT. Got a confirmation letter from them that the request has gone to eircom for transfer. There were two call options where one gave you unlimited national calls and the other was billed per call. For the unlimited national there is some extra charge or minimum spend involved but I didn't go for that as I don't really use the phone.

Advertisement