Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell check?

Options
  • 18-06-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

would it be possible to get spell check on boards?

it might cut down on all the dodgy spelling which people are constantly giving out about!......
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Use your word processor spell checker tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

read the dictionary a few times, it should do wonders for your spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

dictionary.com might be a handy place to start.

Boards cant do verything for you. Sometimes you need to actually go find things out for yourselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I sure someone will post up a link for a FireFox extension that does spell checking. By contrast Microsoft charge for additional Dictionaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

its not just for mine, its for everyone that uses boards, i think that text talk annoys people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

snorlax wrote:
    its not just for mine, its for everyone that uses boards, i think that text talk annoys people.

Stop using it then! Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

snorlax wrote:

Yeah, but a spell checker won't get rid of that.

It's hassle to impliment, and tbh if you really cared you could use open office or ms office to spell check your entries.

If you cared. If you cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i don't think ill be doing that Simu, i just notice other members constantly pointing out each others spelling/ grammar. Also, i don't expect boards to do everything, but they might have a simple solution, and it could be a great for everyone on boards, but if it isnt that simple sure people can just stick with the alternatives!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It's actally built into Vbulletin 3.5.0 which is in beta at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I sure someone will post up a link for a FireFox extension that does spell checking.
    Oh look --> http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

Highlight test - right click and Check Spelling
    then choose option at the bottom to Download More

or just go to - http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html for languages from Afrikaans via Irish, Latin and Welsh to Zulu

[edit] after spell check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

i bet you can stlil undresnatd waht im satnig envn tuhugh all the wrods are meesd up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I understand that you're annoying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i comprehend that also ...er...learn to spell boards is not a shcoll....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

and learn the grammatical use of ","

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Spell Checker is a bad idea. If its done automatically. Because on another forum i frequent they decided to have words like der become there. Became very annoying when i wanted to talk about Mellissa Auf Der Maur. As it kept changin it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Google spell check ('Did you mean:').

Advertisement