Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

File extensions

• 18-06-2005 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but was hoping someone could help me out on this. I'm looking to find the file extension for a Word document. I thought it was .doc, but have been having problems sending my CV into companies in this format. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

.doc is the correct file extension for a Word document - Exactly what kind of problems are you having with your CV? You could try saving it as an .rtf (Rich Text Format) instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sending documents out in a format that people with older versions of office can't read just puts pressure on them to join the upgrade cycle. There will be fun and games with the new formats until people get the patches, - be interesting to see how far back the patches will go.

As suggested .RFT is better, It's like word version 2 or word without macros and other such junk depending on your view point, can be opened in Write/Wordpad on Windows machines without Word.

The problem may be that you are using a newer version of word than the person you are sending to. Since 97, word has had the same basic format, provided you go into Tools - Options - Save and Disable features not supported by 97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

A lot of mail-servers block Word attachments, because Word is virus-tastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Thanks for the replies guys, was thinking that it might be that "older version of windows" thing - will try and disable the newer functions and see if that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Not an old version of windows, a different version of MS Office / Word.

Obvious qn: what program are you creating/saving your word documents in? And what version?

MS Word V2, V6, 95, 97, 2000, XP, 2003?
    Wordpad?
    OpenOffice, wordperfect

If you choose Save As, the box at the botton of the dalog should let you choose the destination file format.
    You'll notice that many share the extension .doc, some of which are incompatible.

As suggested above the option
    word 97 & 2000 & 6.0 /95 -RTF (*.doc)

should work with most versions of windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'm using Windows XP here. I have it set to save as .doc but for some reason whenever I attach it to an email or something like that the filename comes up as .DOC :confused: I think that could be causing the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Windows is case-insensitive, it regards 'DOC' as being exactly the same as 'doc' (or 'dOC', 'DoC', etc.). That's extremely unlikely to be the problem.

Advertisement