Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What now........

• 18-06-2005 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Ok I have suddenly passed eircoms online test after 2 years, partly because I am in spain and everything is unplugged back home. I return tomorrow and I want to get esat bt broadband, what i am worried about now is when i go back home plug in my digiboxes and such appliances will i fail again or will i have sufficient time to complete my broadband order.

Please help................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

My line suddenly showed as pass yesterday - it failed as recently as last week. I've made no changes to connections inside the house and, AFAIK, eircom haven't done any work on my line outside.

I think eircom cover themselves by saying that the online pass/fail line test is subject to confirmation. I've got a strange feeling that there's more to this sudden deluge of passing lines than meets the eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I thought so you know I thought it was weird cause i checked a friend line and his wasnt passing but its passing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I know very little about telecoms, but I think if all these lines were genuinely failing for years and are now genuinely passing within the last few days,then the only possible explanation is that a lot of upgrading has suddenly been done in the exchanges.

I hope that's the case but I wouldn't be too confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I know very little about telecoms, but I think if all these lines were genuinely failing for years and are now genuinely passing within the last few days,then the only possible explanation is that a lot of upgrading has suddenly been done in the exchanges.

that's the least likely scenario, it's probably a cock-up with their line testing procedure/database/witchcraft thingy

i was feeling good yesterday about passing before everyone else started passing
    bah

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Willem D wrote:
    Ok I have suddenly passed eircoms online test after 2 years, partly because I am in spain and everything is unplugged back home. I return tomorrow and I want to get esat bt broadband, what i am worried about now is when i go back home plug in my digiboxes and such appliances will i fail again or will i have sufficient time to complete my broadband order.

Please help................

If you are serious about getting bb then for the period while you are waiting dont plug all the extr stuff in it puts a drain in the line and may cause it to fail.
    Keep it simple and just plug in your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Lissavane wrote:
    My line suddenly showed as pass yesterday - it failed as recently as last week. I've made no changes to connections inside the house and, AFAIK, eircom haven't done any work on my line outside.

I think eircom cover themselves by saying that the online pass/fail line test is subject to confirmation. I've got a strange feeling that there's more to this sudden deluge of passing lines than meets the eye!
    The line tests are done once a month, it's not going to fail or pass week on week off; but the tests are a little dodgey... then again so are a lot of the lines around the country.

Strange about the rake of turnaround passes though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I seem to recall a thread on here last week where someone mentioned that Eircom have upgraded a lot of their line-testing software recently resulting in more accurate line tests, and more passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

dub45 wrote:
    If you are serious about getting bb then for the period while you are waiting dont plug all the extr stuff in it puts a drain in the line and may cause it to fail.
    Keep it simple and just plug in your phone.

yea thats the way to do it.. at least until you get the service activated....

Advertisement