Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Irish DJ's

• 18-06-2005 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Who do you reckon?

Declan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

In what genre ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Originally posted this in the Dance/Electronic board.

Ummm...

Seriously...

Doof Doof!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I reckon Joe Duffy is probably the best Irish Dj, he exiles in attracting a wider variety of audience as, lets say, Pat Kenny would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 [SaB]

lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Are you talking Technically or for their choice of tunes?

Technically I would vote for Calvin James (4decks and no earphones).

S.

• Advertisement

I reckon Joe Duffy is probably the best Irish Dj, he exiles in attracting a wider variety of audience as, lets say, Pat Kenny would.
    :D

What about Johnny Moy or Warren K - are they still kicking about or have they been taken over by other DJ's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

On of the best Irish djs in my opinion is Simon F although I saw Calvin James play at Bodytonic and 12ten and he was superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

Calvin and Simon are great choices,
    Also Simon Conway & of course Jon Averill
    & Philth from Backlash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i like sunil sharpe, all the EC crew (eddie, simon, giles etc.) but Barry Donavan has stood out for me recently, dont know why!!

the collective-music lads are beginning to catch up really quickly on the rest though, the may and june fests were brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

nah, its still Joe Duffy for me, he has it all..a husky man voice, sex appeal, a way with the grannys and a beard which you could possibly live in if you where a small bird.

• Advertisement

Forgot to give an honourable mention to Rob Hawk who's a friend of mine and who used to part run the now defunct and sadly missed house night 12ten @ The Legal Eagle on Saturdays. Not only is he a great DJ /producer but he's also done an absolutely savage remix of an 80s tune called "One Night In Bangkok". Some of you guys might have heard him play it if you've been in attendance at the Metro on Saturdays or the POD on Sundays as I've been reliably informed that he's been playing it alot recently and that everyone loves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I've been listening to the Volume 2 mix from the 12ten lads over at 12ten.tk and I like what I hear.

Giles wrote:
    On of the best Irish djs in my opinion is Simon F although I saw Calvin James play at Bodytonic and 12ten and he was superb.
    Hey Giles is Bodytonic and 12ten in Sydney or Dublin?

You don't really get many Irish DJ's come down to Melbourne much apart from David Holmes who is probably the most well known DJ outside Ireland.

Declan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Id have to say Rob Hawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

beta2 & zero tolerance - well known and respected all across the water, gigging in london amsterdam vienna switzerland etc on a regular basis. zero tolerance in particular is an awesome dj, beta2 just became the first EVER producer to be exclusively signed to goldie's label Metalheadz

rohan - runs bassbin, pretty much single handedly responsible for the whole "sensible" drum and bass resurgence, dub reggae influenced tunes with atmospheric bits and properly crafted interesting percussion, guest slots on bbc, has played on the world's largest soundsystem [valve sound] and toured the us and canada... plays in londin and the erst of the uk and europe on a regular basis. has been interviewed in three out the last four issues of knowledge magazine, recent polls in same magazine to find the all time top ten dub reggae influenced tunes resulted in four bassbin tunes in the top ten.

naphta - fiercely individual, militant drum workouts. probably one of the three or four most technically proficient dj's in the country. takes risks, not afraid to play a tune that will leave half the dancefloor wondering what the fùcks going on. 13 years of playing out in dublin and abroad [london, antwerp, amsterdam, eindhoven, the hague etc]. also an awesome producer.

code - from limerick, runs subtle audio recordings. one man army. runs one the best new labels in drum and bass, hotly tipped. plays like a less anal naphta. gigs all over, years of experience, plays really deep varied sets.

hoek 35 and the rest of the amen alliance - murder every time.

Bri wrote:
    I've been listening to the Volume 2 mix from the 12ten lads over at 12ten.tk and I like what I hear.

Aye tis a savage mix... :)

dSTAR wrote:
    Hey Giles is Bodytonic and 12ten in Sydney or Dublin?

You don't really get many Irish DJ's come down to Melbourne much apart from David Holmes who is probably the most well known DJ outside Ireland.

Declan

Alas not unfortunately my friend but believe me there's no shortage of great nights on here in Sydney of the deep, funky, dirty housey variety!!!! Check out the forums on www.inthemix.com.au for more info on all the deadly underground club nights on here....

P.S. On a round the world trip so haven't seen Dublin since April but I remember how good 12ten used to be and when it was good it was farkin great! Hopefully the lads will bide there time and get the night up and running again when a suitable venue presents itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

110th Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Mungaman

I'm Backin up for 110th st I don't know how they aren't bigger than they are! Cyril and Cian if your reading this we need a few more gigs up in Dublin.
    Also Robs Sunday night sessions in POD are worth a look for a real big range of music f*kn well put togethr

Mungaman wrote:
    I'm Backin up for 110th st I don't know how they aren't bigger than they are! Cyril and Cian if your reading this we need a few more gigs up in Dublin.
    Also Robs Sunday night sessions in POD are worth a look for a real big range of music f*kn well put togethr

HEY THEY'RE GALWAYS,GET YOUR OWN !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

SiSi/110th St definately.

Come back to Cork soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

plazzTT wrote:
    SiSi/110th St definately.

Come back to Cork soon!
    meh. i'm getting sick of them at this stage :p
    they play the same tunes every damn time i see them.
    them dropping "spastic" on saturday was fairly cool, but kind of seemed like they're just copying erol alkin who played there a month or so ago... (it's not the kind of tune you'd expect them to drop tbh)
    but **** it. i'm glad Galway has one decent night...
    The guest they had the weekend before last was complete muck... must find out who it was so that i can avoid the tool in the future

tman wrote:
    meh. i'm getting sick of them at this stage :p
    they play the same tunes every damn time i see them.
    them dropping "spastic" on saturday was fairly cool, but kind of seemed like they're just copying erol alkin who played there a month or so ago... (it's not the kind of tune you'd expect them to drop tbh)
    but **** it. i'm glad Galway has one decent night...
    The guest they had the weekend before last was complete muck... must find out who it was so that i can avoid the tool in the future

You're talking about James de la Cruz and yes he was complete muck.The Glimmers are the next big guest sometime in July.

And no,110th Street aren't just copying Erol Alkan.I've been watching 110th Street do what they do for the last 4 or 5 years,long before there was any word of Erol Alkan.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deadbeat

Barry Donovan & Simon Conway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Most of Irelands best DJ's havent been discovered. This can go for all countries i suppose but I know a few bedroom DJ's that have talent flowing from all angles. Real pity, tbh. Ive seen and heard some djs who have 'made it' in some sense and they should never have been put in front of a set of 1210's in the first place. Shame that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

And no,110th Street aren't just copying Erol Alkan.I've been watching 110th Street do what they do for the last 4 or 5 years,long before there was any word of Erol Alkan.

Agreed, They brought Erol over here when he was totally unheard of about 4 years ago to the black box(he blew the speakers!), and now look at him....... although he does credit them with alot of his Success, Check out the Pic of Cian on the inside of his bugged out mix....

and SiSi change there set loads, they always have a few classic tunes but they get all the latest promos and White label Cd-r's and the top ten on the mailout is bang upto date......

S.

haha I didn't know about the photo of Cian ! Any chance anyone could scan the cd booklet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

whoever that mystery man was warming up for dave clarke!
    and simon conway
    james de la cruz is an element of the avalanches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it just seemed like an odd tune for Sisi to drop tbh, i'm not accusing them of out and out copying Erol. they have their own unique style, and playing a tune like "spastic" seemed to stick out like a sore thumb imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Razor

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lizzyitis

Best Irish DJ out there at the moment has to be Baz Redsetta. Saturdays in The Pod for pogo are brilliant!! :) Great to see people doing such a good job at promotion and pulling off good nights. They seem to get a buzz out of it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Razor

you're taking the piss right????

niptuck wrote:
    Best Irish DJ out there at the moment has to be Baz Redsetta. Saturdays in The Pod for pogo are brilliant!! :) Great to see people doing such a good job at promotion and pulling off good nights. They seem to get a buzz out of it aswell.

I've been saying this for a while that Bodytonic are slowly but surely taking over the whole world!!! Fair play to them though they're a sound bunch of guys n gals and they always do it with a smile onboard and a nice beer promotion or two. :D

Advertisement