Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitters

Options
  • 18-06-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved to a new area and was asked to babysit by a neighbour. This got me thinking that I should hand out leaflets to the neighbours. I made up about 20 and put them through the door. Would it have been better to ring on the door and introduce myself? What do you look for when deciding on a babysitter and what would be a reasonable hourly rate? Thank you! I've attached a copy of the leaflet I handed out with my personal details removed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Age, proximity, any childcare qualification, past local (and verifiable) experience [recommendation/word of mouth, actually] and price last.

But I guess I'm just showing my strong paternal side and Sicilian roots insisting on nearly-CIA-vetted credentials :D

Oh, BTW - Currently being extorted €10/h for a Montessori-trained, professional Childcare-studying 23-year old. Dublin South location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I was bullied by a childminder I had when I was younger, so I definitley agree with ambrose in that you really need to reassure the parents and inspire confidence in them that you are a trustworthy and compassionate carer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since its a new area, get the first few jobs by word of mouth. Also, ask one or two parents whom you've worked for (for a length of time, not just one night, or something) to use them as refrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Definitely introduce yourself, be sure to visit at a suitable time though.

From my experience parents trust you more if they know your parents, I've got so many babysitting jobs just because they know my mum. So since you've just moved to this new area your parents are probably making new friends with the neighbours too, so maybe introduce yourself to these people first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wildcat05

LadyLotts wrote:
    I've recently moved to a new area and was asked to babysit by a neighbour. This got me thinking that I should hand out leaflets to the neighbours. I made up about 20 and put them through the door. Would it have been better to ring on the door and introduce myself? What do you look for when deciding on a babysitter and what would be a reasonable hourly rate? Thank you! I've attached a copy of the leaflet I handed out with my personal details removed.

I am Looking for a babysitter in the Waterford area if anyone can help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wildcat05

I am looking for a babysitter in the Waterford area if anyone can help me must be a non smoker and have previous childcare experience to look after a 6 month old baby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DeiseLass

I would be interested, i charge 7.65euro per hr (Minimum Wage) Non smoker with loads of experience. My rates go up to 9euro an hr after 6, cant say fairer then that!!
    PM me if interested :D

Advertisement