Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies (H)

Options
  • 18-06-2005 7:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone got any predictions for Construction Studies then? :)

I read somewhere here, UValue, Planning, Stairs, WheelChair Accessible Door (Q1) and Heating Systems are a possibility this year. Any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

Drainage,Moisture Penetration,Condensation,Site considerations,Dry rot

I've an analysis of the papers for the last 7 years but it won't let me upload it cos its an excel doc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mail it to me please: sully@thenet2k.com -- Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

ok any other predictions? and when you guys study, how do you study? draw pictures? and can we make a list of important dimensions to add when doing drawings, i never lerned the dimensions so i'll ave to learn them if i wana do my pictures to scale, ..

U must provide measurements to you drawings and they must be to scale.As for freehand sketches they should be well proportioned and ledgible.Often sketches are worth more marks than the writing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Jaysus, I'm completely screwed if people are predicting stuff to come up. I'm planning on getting most of the whole course studied. I'm doing all of the drawings we were taught for question 1 which includes Stairs, Chimneys, Doors, Window frames, Lean to roof, Eaves pitched roof, Raised timber floor and the foundations. Then for the four other questions I'll be studying the U value question, heat, drainage, water systems, sound, timber frame construction and planning permission. Do you think I'll have covered enough? This exam is pretty much like the ordinary level english exam. Once you read over your stuff and learn the measurements (quotes for english) you can do well. There's not a lot of learning in the exam compared to most other subjects.

Yeah u should be fine make sure u know planning permission and site considerations and definitions along with the other stuff and you'll be cruising

http://ericglover.com/img/fried_rice_zoom.jpg
    There are some good notes on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

^^^^^^^^^ :eek:
    Well they arent the best of notes now in all honesty
    I do like rice though

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

site considerations????????????????

• Advertisement

Yeah as in what is taken into account when choosing a sitw
    Here are a few examples
    Cost
    Planning Permission
    Services
    I think the q came up in 2000

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks for all that mickomack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Mickomack - can you please please email me that list of predictions, and anything else you may have lying around as regards Construction? Our teachers have thoroughly screwed us for this exam - we have had two theory classes this year, and I do not exaggerate. No-one knows anything apart from the two guys who are repeating. Plus, I'll be stuck in the exam hall until 8:30 pm cause the bloody Exam Commission can't get it in their heads that someone somewhere might want to do both Latin and Construction studies. Please help!

gabriel_beecham@yahoo.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the cheese

Are there any other drawings than the ones Binomate listed? I heard there could be a drawin on wheelchair access for a door or something? Our teacher wasnt the best either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 .B.R.

Could one of you send it on to me plz - Pulse20@hotmail.com
    Nice1

Oh god where can I find the wheelchair accesable door? my teacher never even told us that doors could come up in Q1.

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~abbeynet/Drawings/door.htm

thats the only drawing of a door i could get :(

What did everyone get for their practical? Our teacher told us what grade we got.

Mine didnt tell us. Would have been helpfull to know.

stevoxbx - if you go to http://www.examinations.ie and go to the marking schemes you can get solutions up to the papers. http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2003/LC029ALP1EV.PDF there the solutions to the 2003 paper and a door came up in question 1, it has the worked drawing of it!

Thanks!!! The fact that it came up means that its hardly gona come up this year?

• Advertisement

stevoxbx wrote:
    Thanks!!! The fact that it came up means that its hardly gona come up this year?

NOTE:the wheelchair accessible door has NOT come up before they gave it in the solutions as an example of the new regulations that were introduced in 2001. They asked for a standard door that year.

If the wheelchair ramp comes up this year I'll be extremely p'd off. Our construction teacher was crap. He hasn't gone through half of the stuff that's on the course and the stuff that he did go through with was only the easiest stuff to teach.

It better fookin come up in some shape or form.You think your teacher is bad we haven't done theory since the start of 5th year

Where can I find the drawing for the wheelchair accesable door?

mickomack- you sayin that a wheelchair accessable door could come up?

It's on that examinations.ie website if not try entering wheelchair accessible door into google

.B.R. wrote:
    mickomack- you sayin that a wheelchair accessable door could come up?

Thats what i've heard i mean they are only a certain no of wheel accessibility possibilties of q left maybe not as q1 but possible as q2

Cant find it on the examinations website. Link would be helpfull!!

Edit: Found it on the 2003 paper in the amended building regulations.

Binomate wat mark did u get for your proj?

• Advertisement

Never seen anything to do with wheelchairs in question 1 so wasn't sure, nor did my teacher say anything bout one coming up... But i'll look over it anyway thanks

Advertisement