Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies (H)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

How many variations of questions can they ask on the Planning Permission(eg. Outline the stages of planning permission) and Heating systems? Or can they only ask set questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

mickomack wrote:
    Binomate wat mark did u get for your proj?
    I got a C3 I think. Our teacher was yet again an asshole when it came to markings. I think he marked each of our pieces by comparing them to the best. I don't know how he did it but the reults were unbelievable. Anyone in the class would have expected a lot higher results for the pieces (like mine) to have been marked a little higher and for those who were marked realy well to be marked a lot lower! Hopefully the examiner who comes around to grade them a 2nd time will grade us up. I did a lot better in the day practical. By presuming the worst I'm presuming that I got at least the same gradr as my practical project, a C3. All I have to do tomaintain this is get a C3 in the exam tomorrow.

Im looking for a B2-B1. Id say i got 40% outa d first 50%. But know nothing for tommorow and still havnt studied :( ive just prepared for Q1. I know uvalue questions but av to study the rest now.

I'm the exact same in terms of studying. Usualy one of the drawins comes up in another question as well. I know the hot water systems diagrams. Our text book is crap as well and we all have barely any notes. We're so scrwed. I'm planning on waffling my way through it and leaving it early. Then I'll head down the pub and celebrate that it's over. Can't wait.

Nice for you im back on friday for ag science.
    Im gonna waffle too. Gona learn of the heating system diagrams and hope for the best. What book do you have?

• Advertisement

stevoxbx wrote:
    Nice for you im back on friday for ag science.
    Im gonna waffle too. Gona learn of the heating system diagrams and hope for the best. What book do you have?
    It's called Architectural Technology Core by Michael Hannon. It's a great book but I think it's a college book and it has a lot of material which is completely irrelivant to Leaving Cert standards. Our Construction Studies teacher told us we had to get it half way through the year and it cost us about €50. We opened it once in class. At the end of the year we asked him why we hadn't used it at all and he said "Oh, it eh................. It wasn't as good as I thought it was". Basicaly he hadn't even seen it before he told us to go out and spend €50 on it! I don't even know how he got employed. He has sawn his thumb of twice on the table saw and he stitched his tumb back on himself! He has photos to prove it as well! He's a nutcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

stevoxbx wrote:
    How many variations of questions can they ask on the Planning Permission(eg. Outline the stages of planning permission) and Heating systems? Or can they only ask set questions?

They can only ask you around the same as previous years
    eg. Planning Permission documents,procedure(This normally comes up on the ordinary level paper but you never know),for and against a statement

As for central heating you must know diagrams of each system advantages,disadvantages,Safety considerations,sizes etc

Binomate wrote:
    It's called Architectural Technology Core by Michael Hannon. It's a great book but I think it's a college book and it has a lot of material which is completely irrelivant to Leaving Cert standards. Our Construction Studies teacher told us we had to get it half way through the year and it cost us about €50. We opened it once in class. At the end of the year we asked him why we hadn't used it at all and he said "Oh, it eh................. It wasn't as good as I thought it was". Basicaly he hadn't even seen it before he told us to go out and spend €50 on it! I don't even know how he got employed. He has sawn his thumb of twice on the table saw and he stitched his tumb back on himself! He has photos to prove it as well! He's a nutcase.

That book is ****e there is a load of regulations and diagrams that are wrong in it.Fortunately for me my dads a construction teacher so i just use his notes.There is a new book due in 2006-2007 by the Dublin Branch

2006-2007 aint much gud for me now. Seen as ur dads a con.studies teacher wat tips has he given you??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Binomate wrote:

Ya good point. I use the same book and I agree with you on that one. :)

We used it a little bit in 5th year and not at all in sixth year!

• Advertisement

It's more suited to the new syllabus than anything

Here's what me reckons is gonna come up
    U Value
    Central Heating
    Planning Permission
    Wheelchair Accessibilty
    Sound/Thermal Insulation
    Drainage
    Dry Rot/Wet rot
    Roofs

what you predict for Q1?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hope your right Micko :P And I hope Q.1 is actually Wheelchair!

Anywho. U get my email back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 steffi-nof

Hey mickomack!!!:D could u please send me on that analysis??? im so screwed!! spent d last yr bulidin a house dat im gonna jump on come sept!!!:mad: haha!!

Reali need some tips!!!....night b4 d exam and all!!!...:(

sixsecsteph@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

steffi-nof wrote: »

Hey mickomack!!!:D could u please send me on that analysis??? im so screwed!! spent d last yr bulidin a house dat im gonna jump on come sept!!!:mad: haha!!

Reali need some tips!!!....night b4 d exam and all!!!...:(

sixsecsteph@hotmail.com

Steffi-nof, i just realised there after reading all those comments that these were posted 3 years ago !

Hahaha me 2!!! whoops!!!....found some new 1s!!! type construction studies 08 n u'l find um!!!:D

Hahaha me 2!!! whoops!!!....found some new 1s!!! type construction studies 08 n u'l find um!!!:D

ha 10 minutes of 'precious' studying time gone. The 08 is key !!

Ha yup!!...was a tough 1 to crack bu got der eventually!!!
    besta luck!!!

you too !

wait....any tips 4 Q1????:D

• Advertisement

wait....any tips 4 Q1????:D

That's a tough one to be honest.
    I'm just gonna look over the obvious ones, foundations, a wall, window, things like that.

I hear u-value and planning permission are almost certain to come up.

Others i'm studying are the stairs (being able to exaplin it and label it and the likes)
    The Septic Tank
    Roofs (Eaves Detail)
    Cill & head too and then just flooring, foundations, etc.

Ya pretty much d same as myself!!!....ok so!!! tanx a million!!!
    Good luck 2mro!!!!:D

Advertisement