Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router for NTL Boardband???

• 18-06-2005 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

I need advice!! Bear with me - I'll try get to the point asap!

I have NTL Broadband and I have a laptop that has a wireless card in it. I now want to get a wireless router so I can use the laptop away form the desk etc.

I went into PC World today and explained the above and was given the Belkin ADSL Moden with High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router. The installation asks for the telephone cord to be connected to the DSL Line port. The cable going from the 'wall' into the NTL provided modem doesn't have the attachment to go into the router.

I'm assuming the router I have isn't compatible with NTL - does anyone know what brand/make is or do I just need another attachment etc.

Thanks in advance

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

That one won't work, try and get something like this on Ebay or something similar. It's a 3Com wireless Cable/Dsl router 3Com

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What you need to get is one of the wireless router from this page:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=2&CatID=20&l=2&CnL1=NTL/Telewest&CnL2=Wireless%20Cable%20Routers

Of course you can also get them from other sites, but all the necessary info is conveniently on one page here, also they are a very good site, I've gotten gear from there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Bring it back the 'Where in the World' and smack yer man over the head. You're looking for a broadband router. I have NTL and I plumped for a Belkin 54g thing. Bane of my life. When it comes to port forwarding and stuff, it's useless. I've only had success when setting my machine to the DMZ host thereby nullifying any of the firewall features of said device. If/when the main internet connection goes down the Belkin just loses the plot and needs a reboot.

The only reason I went for the Belkin was because Elara had cocked up a Linksys order. So get one of these and you should be ok. At the same time, consider the VoIP options with Blueface for your telephony and ditch your phoneline. Although, NTL did have mega problems today for a few hours but it seems to be all sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm using the Netgear 614
    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

Never had any problems with it. I bought it in IT direct in Dublin. I got a white one, but I really wanted a silver one. So check before you buy. I use it with my Sony laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Thanks everybody - I can now go back and tell the bloke his recommendation was crap!!

I will go looking for the options suggested here.

Thanks again

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement