Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water softener

Options
  • 18-06-2005 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

i'm looking to get rid of limescale in the water supply in to my house. can anyone recommend any tried and tested devices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

heffo9 wrote:
    i'm looking to get rid of limescale in the water supply in to my house. can anyone recommend any tried and tested devices.

QVC the shopping channel sell some things that might suit you,one of which is
    a magnet that clips on to you mains inlet pipe, another is a powered device
    that raps around the pipe and sets up a magnetic field breaking up the limescale
    particles or something like that,.. :confused:

the scalaway yoke looks good here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have a similar magnet thing. While it reduces the lime it doesn't get rid of it entirely. There are chemical ones you get which are very expensive but them seem to much more effective.

I gona have to fit some kind of gadgit my self,.. :( I'm in Dublin 7 area, navan Rd,....the drinking water is total shti ;) ,....a total disgrace. :mad Dublin City Council now have adds on the radio saying that the time has come for us to be
    more responcible and not waste so much water, the joke is that I heard that almost 70% of the water in Dublin is leaking away through old & decayed pipes that the council won't or can't replace, I think they are gearing up to introduce charges ,..what a neck :(
    sorry about the ranting,.....I feel better now,.. :D

I'm in D.15 and the waters pretty bad. We have a drinking water filter off the main supply with a extra tap at the sink. The water out of that is pretty decent. The lime remains a problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

These guys are supposed to be pretty good magnet suppliers and they have a guide on building your own magnetic water treatment device which is far more powerful then the commericial ones and at a fraction of the price, check it out here.

They also have links at the bottom to Pro, Neutral and Anti magnetic treatment sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

All the magnet does is stop the limescale building up on the inside of the pipes. It can't take the lime out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

a powered device
    that raps around the pipe and sets up a magnetic field breaking up the limescale
    quote LENSMAN

Google WATER IMP it is a device that does as Lensman suggests.
    It breaks up the lime meaning that your kettle and other appliances will have little bits of lime gathering in the bottom of them, but the lime will not "cake up" the element.

This stops your appliances being ruined, I was talking to someone one day who swore by the water IMP

Google WATER IMP it is a device that does as Lensman suggests.
    It breaks up the lime meaning that your kettle and other appliances will have little bits of lime gathering in the bottom of them, but the lime will not "cake up" the element.

This stops your appliances being ruined, I was talking to someone one day who swore by the water IMP, i.e. they said it was F****'in deadly :D

Seen the Water Imp, it works on the same princible as the Aqua Scaleaway
    that QVC sell but the water imp is twice the price,.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I had to get a big water softener put into my house. The water the council were supplying was so full of lime all my appliances were getting clogged up. The shower heads, kettles, etc ruined.

Cost me close on €900. It's a tank thing that I have to put lumps of salt into.

All the neighbours have them too. I guess it will pay for itself in the long run as I wont have to replace my appliances as quick

mick_irl wrote:
    I had to get a big water softener put into my house. The water the council were supplying was so full of lime all my appliances were getting clogged up. The shower heads, kettles, etc ruined.

All the neighbours have them too. I guess it will pay for itself in the long run as I wont have to replace my appliances as quick

Where did you get it from?

• Advertisement

I am down in Cork so it may not be of much use to you. Got it from Acorn Water http://www.acornwater.ie/

They tested my water before hand.

Depending on what council area you live in, I think you can get a grant towards it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

mick_irl wrote:

Thinking of getting one of these jobbies myself - it's cheaper than having to replace all the applicances

Did you notice much difference in the water afterwards - e.g. can you drink it straight from the tap now??

I only have a filter on the main feed to a tap in the kitchen sink. The difference is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Have a water softner as well. Have to fill it up with salt every 6-7 weeks. Salt is about 8 euro a bag. Can buy in bulk for half that. Do not drink that softened water. Have the third (flxi) tap in the Kitchen sink with non softened wayer for drinking. Cost about 600 euro ex vat but that was a few years ago now. A bigger one can be bought that can be installed in a garage. No need to fill it as often.

Be useful to post links to info on what you have.

It took about a week for the water to settle after I got mine installed, but the difference after that was amazing.

I used to have to change my kettle every three months or so. Used to also have a pin by the shower to i could unclog the lime from the water holes in the shower head. After leaving the dishes to drain there used to be a film of lime on the draining board.

Now all that has cleared up.

I have the ACT14 as seen on this site: http://www.aquacure.co.uk/domesticwater.htm
    Although I bought it from Acorn Water in Bandon, Co. Cork.

I have to fill the resevoir about once every two months with the salt. A bag costs me €9 and I usually get two fills out of one bag.

Advertisement