Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy an Alarm, just the system/unit.

Options
  • 18-06-2005 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Google not working really well for buying just an Alarm System as cheap and as good as possible.

Alarm fitters charge 500 for a 4 hour nixer, i would imagine they getting at least 450 of that so obviously buying the alarm for 50, where ? :D

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

500 euro! your getting a bargain, And do you really think the equipment for an alarm only cost fifty euro?
    If somebody said they will install an alarm for you for 500, I'd get them in quick before they change they're mind.

Why dont you ring up some security wholesalers, They're in the Goldenpages and get prices for equipment and you see its alot more than fifty euro. The bellbox alone is more than fifty euro.

You can get the cheap Argos sh*te but its usless, I'd stay well away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

And do you really think the equipment for an alarm only cost fifty euro?

Found a 16 sensor top of the range WIRELESS one (wifi not the other ****e) for $115 so imagine the A tech one i have didnt not cost more than that.

http://www.basshome.com

Dont ship to Europe tho :(

Some nice alarms there.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Recently bought an Aritech CS350 6 zone alarm & kepypad, indoor & outdoor bell, about 10 contact sensors & 4 or 5 shock sensors for about €250.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Recently bought an Aritech CS350 6 zone alarm & kepypad, indoor & outdoor bell, about 10 contact sensors & 4 or 5 shock sensors for about €250.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi KdjaC,

That Lex Dude is one very secretive character ;) what he didn't post is he probably has the skills to build his own board but decided a standard one would do for the moment :)

Above meant as a compliment Lex ;)

The skills needed to install the alarm properly is where Lex and others with his qualifications have an advantage, there is nothing worse than an alarm that does not work properly or worse is activated for no apparant reason.

The Red Face when neighbours tell you they have been calling the Gardai to inspect your house because the alarm has been going for 10 hours is best avoided, also the Ladies and Gents in Blue would not be pleased.

Some things are best left to the real Professionals, preferably the ones with Land Lines and Real Addresses, the WashnGo Cell Phones have been badly abused by all trade service providers ;)

• Advertisement

rooferPete wrote:
    Some things are best left to the real Professionals, preferably the ones with Land Lines and Real Addresses, the WashnGo Cell Phones have been badly abused by all trade service providers ;)

Tis a present for a qualified electrician, got an Aritech for €75 control panel, battery, 16 sensors and 6 shocks no cable tho :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi KdjaC,

That Lex Dude is one very secretive character ;) what he didn't post is he probably has the skills to build his own board but decided a standard one would do for the moment :)

Above meant as a compliment Lex ;)

The skills needed to install the alarm properly is where Lex and others with his qualifications have an advantage, there is nothing worse than an alarm that does not work properly or worse is activated for no apparant reason.
    Cheers Pete for the compliment.

The price I gave for the bits & bobs I bought was an estimate...I'll dig out the receipts later and give you an exact price and list of items I got, but I do remember it not costing more than €300. Maybe I'm wrong. There was also the battery included in that lot.

I wouldn't say I'm a compitent alarm fitter. I know how they work and the principles of wiring them. I have an Aritech CS350 at home and about 2 years back had to wire in 2 new windows into the existing system after we got an extension. It was only then I read the manual that came with it after 7 years. Recently, I bought a 2 bed terraced house as an investment and every penny counted getting it ready. It came pre-wired, so it was only a matter of finding out which wire went to which window/door and going through the pain staking process of wiring up all the sensors at the windows, etc. That took me nearly 2 days :( ...as the other said, a professional would have everything done in 4hrs.
    After that, after getting some advice from someone in work who wired alarms before, I connected in each zone one-by-one after powering up. This way, if I had any problems it was only with the zone that just got powered up.
    I think most false alarms are caused by contact sensors not set up properly or setting the shock attributes on the panel too sensitive for the shock/inertia sensors. The main panel shouldn't cause you much grief.
    So far so good, house is rented out 3 months and no calls from the tenant about the alarm. :D

p.s. Bought the stuff in TO'Reillys Electrical in Newbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

€500 euro is a bloody great price. I've heard of some outlandish prices for house alarms over the years but that my friend is a bargin :cool:

Equipment for standard 3 bed house these days can vary from 250 to 400 euro depending on the equipment used and prefrences.

I've just bought another Astec 63D for my new 4 bed house. It cost me €440 for the gear. (that's with a 10% discount from the supplier). That's including sensor's M/c's, a PIR. Going all out on my own house :D

Getting back to your quote, don't forget even though your house is pre-wired doesn't mean you or your alarm installer won't come across a wiring problem. I've seen it countless times before, broken cables, cables missing. These problems can take a little extra time to sort out. I had to even re wire the uptairs in a mates brand new house only 3 weeks ago. The wiring was faulty throughout the attic. It was tacked above the window frame and it seemed the tacks went straight throught the wires :eek:

Advertisement