Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid F***ing mistake in Art History paper

Options
  • 19-06-2005 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

In section II i misread renaissance architecture as romanesque architecture. I wrote about 3/4 pages on it. I only realised my mistake when I got home. I really wanted like an a1/a2 in art but now the best i can hope for is a B. I really need the points and that was my best subject. What really pisses me off is that the rest of my art project was a1 quality and now its like my hard work has just gone down the drain.

My question for u ppl is do u think I will get zero marks on section II of my paper or will the be compassionate if they realise my mistake. Maybe I could put a note in with my paper to explain what happened. Has any1 made a similar mistake or have any suggestions for me? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm really sorry man but you'll only get marks if there was anything in your answer relevant to the question being asked. It's a sh|tbuzz but just don't think about it. One upside is the corrector might see how good you were at the question, realise what happened and maybe mark everything else a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'm really sorry man but you'll only get marks if there was anything in your answer relevant to the question being asked. It's a sh|tbuzz but just don't think about it. One upside is the corrector might see how good you were at the question, realise what happened and maybe mark everything else a bit easier.

I'm also really sorry to hear this... and sorry for what I'm about to say but:

The examiner may think that the topic you wrote was the ONLY topic you learned and, consequently, decided to try and cram it in - even when the topic didn't come up. Obviously this isn't the case - but how is (s)he to know?

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

ah shizer... only hope now is getting an a1 in physics and an a1 in chem.. like thats gonna happen :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Sadly, not answering the question asked, followed by not answering enough questions are the biggest reasons people fail to get the marks they should.

That said, the quality of the rest of your paper, and the project work may indicate to the examiner that you are an able candidate who made a bit of a mess of that one question, and they may be well-disposed towards you in the rest of the paper, particularly where discretionary marks are involved, but as regards the question you answered incorrectly, they can't do anything, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

I heard that a few years ago some students missed the art history exam by no fault of their own. Their practical artwork was excellent apperently. As far as I know 2 of em still got A's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I doubt they got an overall A in art. Maybe they got an A in the practical side cos the art history paper is worth 37.5%,so if they didnt show up the max they could get would be 100-37.5 = 62.5 which is a C2 or C3. Its pretty **** weighting of the marks i think-especialy considering the amount you have to learn for art history.

If you are missing one section of the exam it has to be marked on your results, and you cannot get an A if a segment is missing. If the people who missed the exam did get an A, it is more likely that alternative arrangements were made for them to sit the exam - this happens occasionally.

I'm just hoping the examiner will be lenient and throw in a few marks for what I wrote. It was an honest mistake. Surely they would be so stingy as to give me zero marks for it. Well it did ask for what influenced Renaissance architecture. It could just be that I interpreted the question differently: as in Romanesque architecture influenced Renaissance architecture and hence I felt it necessary to descibe Romanesque architecture. :)

Ah well I'll see how it goes. Still have 4 exams to go anyway...

If you mentioned anything to do with the question, they can give you marks for that, but not for anything that was not asked.

Sounds like you may pick up quite a few marks, depending on how you have phrased your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

"Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
    effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
    bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
    never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
    on some idle Tuesday."

Relax, Enjoy your summer. It is done now, It is gone.
    Have a good one pal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Bright Smile

Mear wrote:
    "Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
    effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
    bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
    never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
    on some idle Tuesday."

Relax, Enjoy your summer. It is done now, It is gone.
    Have a good one pal.

Thats so true- I dont do art history but we have to learn to let things go- there's nothing we can do about it now. We did our best, fe(k it after that pet, you dont need to be killing yourself about it for the entire summer
    ;)
    "worry is like a rocking chair, keeps you going, gets you no where"

Not too worried really, just kinda p!ssed me off that's all. I think I did well in the rest of my subjects which is a consolation. Geography, english and physics were fine. Sure I might even end up with a B in art if all goes well.

Chem, Engin and A. Maths to go yet though

Advertisement