Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speeding... but got no ticket

Options
  • 19-06-2005 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

was coming home from the airport this morning via m50, and when driving up through terenure was pulled over. (8.15 am ffs)

anyway the guard asks me if i know the speed limit and so on, turns out i was doing 70 odd kph in a 50 kph zone. :( he gave me some speil about trying to be fair but he'd have to 'take my details'. have no rpob with this, i was speeding and accept the consequences.

anyway, after a few minutes looking at my license and the car, and scribbling details in his little black book, not the speeding ticket book, he gave me back my license and said to watch the speed in future. then that was it.

i got no ticket, no explaination about the points, court, the fine, nothing.

does this mean there is no fine and points, or is this the new procedure?? its early on a sunday and im all confused!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It depends on what he said. If he said something like "I have to warn you under section blah of the blah act 19blahblah", he's given you notice that he can ticket you if he so chooses and could ticket you at a later date if the mood takes him. If he didn't, he can't.

Could be he was just in a good mood and took pity on you, it happens some times, just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fattax

literally all he said was watch the speed in future.

nothing about section whatever.... no warning.... nothing.

weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's happened to me a few times, particularly when I was younger, and more particularly when I was apologetic and fessed up to the offence. I think it's pretty unlikely you'll get a ticket, but IANAG and I haven't kept up with the rules, which could have changed dramatically with the introduction of on-the-spots and then penalty points. Just like there are approachable, easygoing guards out there, there are also psychotic assholes who like playing with your head. Such is life in any trade.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the Garda did'nt inform you of your fiscal and points fate then chances are you're okay.

I guess it does'nt mater much in a way as if you get a fine in the post and points notuification then thats what you get for doing 70 in a 50...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah,donot worry its fine. i got pulled over for doing an illegal right turn and the cop said i will be getting a ticket to go to court. and to this day i have got nothing and its been 2 years now. the cops here are dumb. and theres way around everything even if u get a ticket.

but good luck and hope u donot get a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Probably had no tickets with him at the time or has cautioned you but left you in some doubt so that you will be more speed conscious in future :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

They use a new handheld device like the traffic wardens so thats why he took your details in his notebook. To enter details into the handheld device at a later stage..

You will definitely get a letter in the post. Hes not out stopping cars for no reason.

I would doubt you will get a ticket - don't worry yourself about it :) Anyway there is a special caution you must get on the road before you can be summonsed for speeding - if you did not get it - you can't be prosecuted ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

You dont need to receive a caution, that was the case in the past.. not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

as with any traffic offence, of course you will receive a caution.

happens with car accidents(all parties involved get cautioned under the respective act), speeding, running a red light etc

The guard has used his discretion and left you thinking (to prolong you deciding to speed again, or make you think twice about doing it again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

ciarsd wrote:
    as with any traffic offence, of course you will receive a caution.

happens with car accidents(all parties involved get cautioned under the respective act),

I was involved in a car accident (wasnt a major one by all means) but wasnt cautioned...same thing applies to people I know...out of curiosity if its only a minor crash with no injuries why would all parties be cautioned :confused:

People are only cautioned if there is an intention or possibility that they may be prosecuted - obviously in minor non-injury accidents this does not apply hence no caution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Ah ok, was just curious as didnt think it was the case for ALL accidents - good to know I wasnt caustioned and didnt realise it or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Last time I got a speedign ticket I was doing 53 in a 30 zone (Tallaght By-Pass at the special needs school). I sat there seriously pissed off (1. for getting done at a spot where I am well aware of the limit, and 2. the gates on the school were closed; not surprisingly really, it was 11:50 pm) I sat there and took it on the chin. He read me a very polite riot act but did mention section ** of the road traffic act as he took my details.
    Luckily for me it was 2 weeks before points came in and I swore I wasn't going to get caught speeding again ... so I bought a radar detector :D
    (That's a joke)

Stay off the loud pedal and watch the speed. 8 am or midnight makes no difference, limits apply. But it sounds to me like you should be in the clear. They're not all bad you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

samo wrote:
    Ah ok, was just curious as didnt think it was the case for ALL accidents - good to know I wasnt caustioned and didnt realise it or something!!

i dont think being cautioned goes against you or down on a record or anything, its served on you in case the offence/accident etc that you've been involved in goes any further i.e court hearing

Advertisement