Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths - How hard is it?

Options
  • 19-06-2005 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I was thinking about doing it this week, because I'm only doing 6 subjects and there's a possiblity I could fail Irish. How hard is it to cram in 3 days :)? I do honours maths and physics, so would it be fairly easy to get a pass in it with if I already know mechanics & differentiation well? Is there anywhere online with notes about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I would say it's not possible to cram in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

You have already signed up for what subjects you're doing, so it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

I kinda signed up 4 the subject a few weeks ago. Might not be possible to cram it in 3 days but I'd say u cud definitely scrape a C or a D with a little effort, if u find Higher Maths and Physics easy. It seems theres a lot of Physics stuff on the paper like linear motion, circular motion, pressure in liquids and so on. A lot of the paper involves applying logic to these questions, which aren't too bad if you can get your head around them.

I hope I won't offend anyone who's been doing applied maths for the past 2 years. It is still an extremely difficult subject.

It is still an extremely difficult subject.

No, but it does seem a little unrealistic to cram the course in 3 days. Taking into account that you are learning the material for the first time.

Firstly the only part of physics that is relevant is mechanics (Q1 in app maths) and pressure in liquids, which is the hydrostatics question on the app maths paper, this question is generally seen as a hard question and the stuff covered in physics is NOT enough to cover the question it merely provides an intro to the topic. Circular motion and SHM is another thing covered in both physics and app maths but it's a lot harder in app maths.

The differential equations question on the app maths paper is (I'd say) the easiest question on the exam, however some people still have issues grasping the topic.

I'm saying it would be stupid to sit the higher paper, you could perhaps sit the ordinary and get quite a higher grade (very easy stuff), you've got to realise that all the other topics are new.

Doctor D-Man seen as you've been doing it for a few weeks you'd know the course by now, so if you think you're able for it that's that, but Richard_Fonzie I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

I was implying doing pass, not honours in it ;). And yes I haven't signed up for it, but I thought there were exceptions (that signing up gives them an estimate for the amount of papers required, and that they always send out 2-3 extra), unless that's just Junior Cert exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

theres always extra copies since you are allowed swap on the day to do lower level higher, ive never seen the pass papers but a C/D in honours in 3 days and you would amazing good result but imo not achieveable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

No way. You defo need the whole two years to do well in it. And to cover the minimum 6 topics needed in three days is crazy. I'd say you could maybe do two, possibly three in the three days, but even then, you're only answering at most half of it. No way you'd get all of it right either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

If your good at physics and maths then id say you would pass the ordinary level at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Applied Maths is around the same standard as Honours Maths only longer questions and a far shorter course, but no chance you'dd gt the course done in 3 days.

Eh, you're missing the point :). I said pass (I meant at ordinary level), that's 40% from 6 questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

not a hope, allthough the concepts are the same(for 2 or 3 ques) the technique is completley different. be realistic.
    If you must insist have a look at the papers on examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

Very, very foolish thing to do. The applied maths grades seem to be very high but that is because of the nature of the subject, most people do it outside school and if they are bad at it they drop it. It is self-filtering unlike other subjects where people are stuck doing them for 2 years. Also those who do it tend to be very strong in math and physics and thus probably very capable students. It is the most challenging subject on the leaving cert (or so I think, maybe that’s because I had only one class a week). Three months wouldn't be enough let alone three days. So I couldn't advise you to do it unless you want a fail on your results slip. Even if you did pass a pass paper in it, what good is 5 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I'd say go for it. If you've no other subjects left to do then just have a go! Whats the worst that can happen? Oh you don't pass it, then your no better or worse off than if you didn't do it in the first place.
    That is as long as you don't mind putting in the work right now to even pass it. And lets say you end up passing it, you'll feel great for it!!

^^^Exactly.
    Very, very foolish thing to do
    My last exam is on Tuesday, so I dont have anything to lose. Unless there's some kind of penalty for failing extra subjects... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

ya i suppose why not, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do it,
    learn how to do question
    1 + 3 + 10
    They are the easiest
    If you learn them properly, which will take a day a subject if you can do maths, you can pass and get 60%.
    I know a person who has actually done this, you've got nothing to lose.
    gl

I'd say throw in Q 4 aswell.

You've got 4 days really if you include monday evening and friday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

True story from my Applied Maths teacher...

A lad rang him a couple of years ago on the morning of the applied maths test saying he had looked at some past papers (OL) and wanted to sit the exam as he thought he had failed French and needed about 30 points from it. Mr. Mulligan went into the school and sat down with your man for 4 hours - did Q1,2,3,4,7,8 with him, he was a fairly good maths student mind you, and he went and sat the test. Come August he got an A1 in OL Applied Maths and got his course... so it's entirely possible man.

Also, last Tuesday night I was bored and looked over some OL Business papers - I haven't had a Business class since the JC - but they looked incredibly easy so I said, fsck it... I'll do the exam. I went in Wednesday morning and spoke to my exam superintendent who said I just needed a letter from the school saying I had studied the subject there but hadn't registered for whatever reason and then I could sit the exam. So I got the letter (helps to have your mam working in the school I guess ;)) and sat the exam... almost certain I did better in OL Business than OL Physics.

Life's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

See www.skoool.ie they have good notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

PHB wrote:
    Do it,
    learn how to do question
    1 + 3 + 10
    They are the easiest
    If you learn them properly, which will take a day a subject if you can do maths, you can pass and get 60%.
    I know a person who has actually done this, you've got nothing to lose.
    gl

He'd have to get them all right perfectly, and even then he can only get 50%. You gotta do 6 questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

bob is that the mr mulligan from st.pauls in raheny?

Most certainly is... best maths / applied maths teacher ever! You went there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You might as well go for it but don't be surprised if it doesn't work out for you. We took all of 5th year to cover the pass course - you COULD do it a lot quicker than that, especially if you have physics but three days is cutting it a bit tight to say the least.

But like someone already said, scraping a pass in ordinary level will get you 5 points. It could be worth it I suppose but personally I'd enjoy my holidays and not worry about results till August. But it's up 2 you. At Ordinary Level I'd go for Q1, 4, 3 and 10 they're pretty easy.

Without meaning to sound like a prick, there is no fsckin' question 10 in Ordinary Level! There are 9 questions, differential equations does not exist at OL! The easiest 6 questions on the Ordinary Level paper are usually 1 to 4, 6 and 7.

Zukustious wrote:
    No way. You defo need the whole two years to do well in it. And to cover the minimum 6 topics needed in three days is crazy. I'd say you could maybe do two, possibly three in the three days, but even then, you're only answering at most half of it. No way you'd get all of it right either.

We were taught 6 questions in School (Q 1,2,3,4,5 & 10) one hour a lunchtime, once a week for 6th year. I ended up getting a B1, others who did the same as me got B2's and a B3.

It is possible to do the course in 3 or even 2 days, however if I were you I'd grab someone who has lots of free time who did the course before. You would spend hours trying to understand a certain part of one question...it is very easy to get confused in it. Be advised that they threw on some simple harmonic motion crap into Q4 when I did it, and we hadn't it covered in AM.

Best of luck with it though. Just try and concentrate on the papers, use the book as a reference only (you don't have the time!)

/edit I was referring to honours above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Bob wrote:
    Without meaning to sound like a prick, there is no fsckin' question 10 in Ordinary Level! There are 9 questions, differential equations does not exist at OL! The easiest 6 questions on the Ordinary Level paper are usually 1 to 4, 6 and 7.

Good point! - I meant question 9 or whatever the motion in a circle question is, sorry

Actually it seems that I'm not eligible to take the exam (no applied maths papers being delivered to my school, and I don't think I can get a letter). On a brighter note though, even if I fail Irish, I realised that I can still get into my first choice course.

If ya really wanna do it ring SEC tomorrow and kick their arses and get into another exam centre. I know 3968 is doing Applied Maths 'cos I'm doing it there! :p

Advertisement