Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on setting up wireless in apartment....

• 19-06-2005 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey,

In our apartment we have broadband access in each bedroom. I simple connect my laptop with a crossover cable (meant to be a Cat5 cable, the same?). It just plugs in and it works. The whole block seems to be connected as one network or something as I can share files with others in different apartments and all.

Anyway, here's my problem....

Two of us have wireless enabled laptops (which we use around college). How do we setup wireless access in the apartment??

This is what I'm thinking (probable wrong though as it sounds too easy :D ). We're thinking it's just a matter of buying a wireless router off Ebay or something and plugging that into the connection in one room, presume it needs a power connection too in there. Then we can access that modem through both laptops from the living area. It isn't that easy is it? The college setup the wireless setting we have so we're not sure what's involved. What else would we need to do???????????

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! what we need to buy etc.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭mtracey

I'd imagine all you need to buy is an wireless access point, which will plug into the ethernet connection in the wall. get that and you'll have wireless access in the room at least, maybe further. not sure of their range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

you need a large aerial which you can buy from komplett.ie and on the net. Get a huge one lol tht will cover the whole of the area u need it for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Erm, any decent access point should cover a sensibly-sized apartment quite nicely...

(which we use around college) got decieved by that whoops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Crossover cable is indeed Cat5 - it's all in the crimp.

As for your wireless, a WRT54G should work ok for you, just hook the cable you normally use into that, fiddle around with the settings on it and connect up using the wireless cards on your laptop. Seeing as everyone in your apartment block can already get this internet access you probably wont have to fiddle around too much with security, either.

• Advertisement

Fobia wrote:
    Crossover cable is indeed Cat5 - it's all in the crimp.

As for your wireless, a WRT54G should work ok for you, just hook the cable you normally use into that, fiddle around with the settings on it and connect up using the wireless cards on your laptop. Seeing as everyone in your apartment block can already get this internet access you probably wont have to fiddle around too much with security, either.
    Crossover is Cat5e I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

You can make crossover out of both Cat5 and Cat5e cables afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Thanks guys,
    a WRT54G should work ok
    .....looks good but a bit expensive, we're students!! Would this work as well?! Is it possible to connect one of these devices to a printer too? (Or does the printer need to be directly connected to a computer that's computer?)

ye it would work fine. To be honest I think that Linksys are far too expensive for what they are. But remember that b is only 11MB while G is 54MB but there are far cheaper G routers to be found apart from Linksys
    To connect the printer to a wireless router you need a print server which are at about €70 from komplett.ie which changes your parallel printer to Ethernet and can be configged from a HTML interface

Well I bought this this evening;

Motorola WA840G 54 Mbps 802.11g Wireless G Access Point

I think this should do it! It cost me €34 including shipping and all. It's from a seller in Kerry. It looks good to me anyway, is it?!!

Anyway thanks a million guys for your help with this! :D

• Advertisement

Just to let you guys know....I've been using this for nearly two months now and it's working a treat!! Just plugged it in and my laptop just logged into the network, sweet!! :D

Advertisement