Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Computer Science

Options
  • 19-06-2005 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hey,

I've just finished my degree in Information Systems Development and I'm faced with a choice - get a job or do a masters.

I'm 50/50 on what to do!

Is it better to work for a few years and then do a masters or am I better off doing it straight away??

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm just finishing up a 2-year MSc by research at the moment. The type of MSc you take on will have a big impact on this - is it taught, or by research? A taught MSc will be much more like your standard degree - classes, projects, exams, etc. By contrast, a research MSc is very dependant on your self-motivation and interest in doing research itself. Having done a research MSc myself, I can only really tell you what that was like.

Firstly, you have to consider the environment in which you're doing it - how much experience does the deepartment / research centre have? Does their research portfolio include topics that interest you? If not, you will eventually struggle to maintain interest in a subject that you don't really like.

Secondly, you have to have some degree of self-motivation. I wouldn't describe myself as the best person in the world in this regard, so I really had to condition myself to work every day, and quite often, I failed. However, it seems I managed to do enough to get by. :) Basically, you're left alone for weeks at a time (sometimes months in the summer holidays), and your only incentive to work is what you bring to it yourself.

The best advice I can give is to talk to whoever is in charge of the appropriate research centre and ask them what areas they research. If its something that really interests you, then go for it - its easier to do it now than come back to it in a few years time when you're used to working life and money, etc. You might also want to ask what kind of funding is available, and for what period of time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I did a taught MSc in a specific area, and this was luckly matched to the job I subsequently got and did help my career. But on balance with that, the job market is volatile, and while it seems to be pretty good (relatively) at present, the jobs may not be there next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I did a taught Masters in Software Development - must hand up the thesis in September. I did it straight after my Degree because:

1) Job Market for grads was poor where I live
    2) Didnt wanna spend a year farting about or roaming the nether regions of Australia
    3) Where a Degree may get my foot in the door, a Masters may get the whole leg in.

I did it full time, but I managed to get in 2 days a week part time work as a web developer/java coder/jack of all trades monkeyboy.

I considered the Masters by research. It holds far more weight, but is very focused on one area. As mr_angry rightly says, it requires motivation at the highest level.

If you think your in the same situation as I am, then you should do it. If you find a job in the meantime, approach your course coordinator about switching to part-time. You'll find they are very flexible (if they offer it part time that is).

There are good and bad for hopefully landing a job for a few years and then doing the Masters. You can take your experiences in real life and apply them to the course. I found that the Masters (althou taught) still relies on your own experience and willingness to explore outside the notes for best results. However, if you wait a few years, settle into a job, will you really have the will to go back to college? 8 hours at work and then another 2 in college, not getting home till all hours possibly. Self study on top of that. In a few years you could be married, kids, morgage, blah blah blah blah blah.

Personally I'd say do it now. Perhaps you should have a look at a Business Masters too? I sometimes think I should have done a more business orientated course this year. Best of luck with whatever you decide anyway.

Mr_Anger what was your thesis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

My thesis was on Learner Profiling and the Semantic Web. Its purpose was to evaluate the advantages of learner profiling using semantic web technologies over conventional keyword search systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I was thinking of going down the Semantic Web route myself, but couldnt refine the idea enough. I went with Software Watermarking eventually. Is your paper online someplace? I'd like to read it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Along with sharing an avatar with Mr. Angry, I also share his opinion on this matter.

You do need to weigh up why you want to do a Masters vs. getting out there and getting experience. Yes, the more qualifications you have, the better. But, and it's a big but these days, experience is possibly as important as a qualification.

I did a Masters in computing quite simply to give me that bit more when I went looking for a job (I have plenty of experience). It was a taught Masters and I did it part time in a private college. To be honest, I don't think it is worth the paper it is written on, but it looks good on a CV (first class honours:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Thanks for all the replys,

Its a taught Masters, full time for one year. I know that the benefit of a Masters is long-term and that initially I won't benefit from it, but I cant see myself going back to college in a few years time (too used to money etc....)

Its hard to go back to college now for a full year when the rest of your class are starting work. In saying that it's only one year. I've applied for a few jobs also so I'll see what I'm offered, if any!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

For anyone seeking advice on doing postgrad research you might find some interesting info in this thread even if the specific area isn't relevant.

@pbarry - just to point out that you can always do a taught MSc at night time - so you can keep your job (and money) and still progress your qualification.

tbh my advice is to get a job, get experience and get certified in the specific area to choose to work in (Sun Java, Cisco, Oracle, Microsoft, etc.) - all of these have well established certification systems. And (if you're a glutten for punishment) you can still do the MSc at night too.

As someone who has interviewed both graduates and experienced people, I think a guy with a BSc +1 year relevant experience + relevant certification is a better prospect than a guy with BSc + taught masters + 0 experience (& I'm not knocking a taught masters).

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

> I'm not knocking a taught masters
    no - its a fair point. I have a taught masters and while I have gotten a lot of long term skills from it*, it didn't help my job prospects or salary levels in the short term. I don't regret doing it though - I'd do it again in a second.

*depth of understanding computer issues, that kind of thing.

Advertisement