Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Transfer Rumours and Signings

• 19-06-2005 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I figured this would be the most talked about thread :)

Why hasn't Mourinho signed anybody yet?
    "I want to bring in a left back, bring in a midfielder, bring in an attacker and then we will improve in every department of the squad and our group will be even better next season.

And I'm fairly sure he said he wanted it done by the start of July or something right? Yet nothings been confirmed.

Del Horno and Kalazde seem to both think they are joining Chelsea, but both clubs insist no deal is done. Confusion.

Their attempts to land a midfiedler seem not to be progressing at all.
    Vicente and Joaoquin don't seem to be going anywhere.

Striker wise:
    Robinho looks set for Real, maybe even Arsenal
    Adriano doesn't look like he is moving.

Why hasn't Chelsea been doing the biz yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

I figured this would be the most talked about thread

i reckon it would be easier to just assume chelsea will be linked to any player valued at over 10 mill along with any other young player with potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Del Horno and Kalazde are pretty much done deals i reckon. Clubs might try to get a few more milion out of them since its chelsea, they will pay it if they need to.

There is another 11 or so days till july, plenty of time. Been strongly linked to ronaldo, i suppose they have to wait for madrid to know what there doing, i.e selling owen, buying RVN etc. Alot of players on holidays now so clubs have to wait for players to get back before sorting it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I think they should bring in Robbie Keane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Didnt think Chealsea needed their own thread, surely the Liverpool/Utd and Arsenal threads combine to cover Chelseas targets/linked players. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Del Horno (Bilbao) pulled out of an agreed transfer to Barcelona based on a contract offer from Chelsea which he accepted. Neither he nor the club have heard from Chelsea since - Kaladze (Milan) appears to be the first choice. Milan are in negotiations with Chelsea regarding Kaladze and Crespo.

Essien (Lyon) looked to be a certainty to leave for Chelsea this summer but Houllier had a chat with the player and his agent and they're now happy for the player to remain at the club until next year. Having said that if Chelsea make Lyon a ridiculous offer (€30-40M), Houllier would probably gift wrap him for Mourinho.

Joaquin (Betis) accepted a contract from Chelsea last October/November and the Betis president accepted a bid of €40M for the player. Since then Joaquin has got cold feet but the club have been assuring Chelsea that the deal will still happen. There are three other clubs with offers for the player: Real Madrid (€30M), Barcelona (€27M) and Liverpool (€20M).

Eto'o (Barcelona) has been the subject of a €55M offer from Chelsea, but he's due to sign a contract extension with Barca.

Gilardino (Parma) was subject of a €30M bid from Chelsea, but the player doesn't want to leave Italy and has already agreed terms with Milan. Milan's bid for the player was around €15M.

Ronaldo (Real Madrid) has a contract offer from Chelsea. The Real Madrid president is still waiting for Chelsea to make an offer for the player. Perez is confident that they will get Adriano from Inter as the replacement for Ronaldo.

Personally I think Chelsea have to sell before they buy this summer - they don't want to end up with a bloated squad of players who don't want to leave because the money is too good. Forsell and Parker are gone, I would expect Gallas to be sold and the future of the strikers to be resolved before they sign anyone.

Out: Gallas,Parker,Forsell,Crespo?
    In: Kaladze/Del Horno,Essien?,Joaquin?,Ronaldo?

• Advertisement

i hope your wrong about joaquin, he's one player i hope liverpool get. if kezman leaves chelsea i'd be more than happy to see him in a liverpool shirt nxt year aswell

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I get the feeling a lot of clubs are waiting for Chelsea/Real/Milan to finish their shopping before heading in for the bargain leftovers and the bigger clubs know this. The very best players, if sold now, will go for the astronomical fees their current clubs know the buyers can afford, but if Chelsea et al bide their time and appear disinterested their values will drop and as time goes on the smaller clubs will start bidding in lower amounts for these players. When it looks like a deal is done and dusted, Chelsea or Real can come in an gazump the prospective buyer with a few handy million over the newly-lowered odds, saving themselves a nice wedge and putting their poorer opponents in a tricky position of not having signed anyone, close to the transfer deadline. Cue panic buys, wasted cash and the big boys starting the season with the stars they wanted at half the price they could pay now and the smaller fish cobbling together a squad at an inflated price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That is a very risky tactic, especially if its after a player agrees to personal terms.
    Once that is done, its unlikely that they would be willing resest and start over.
    ---
    It seems that Chelsea despite their huge money and wages availible still don't have the ability that Barca Real and Milan have of attracting the big name players. Shouldn't they also be looking at signing an English player so they can compete in the CL next year without naming a youth teamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well they have made one signing

CHELSEA BEAT RIVALS TO SINCLAIR

Chelsea have swooped to sign Bristol Rovers' talented 16-year-old Scott Sinclair.

The promising striker played senior football - having made his debut last season in a 1-1 draw with Leyton Orient.

Sinclair will join the Premiership champions' academy, in a move the teenager admits was impossible to turn down.

Rovers have given the talented hit-man their blessing, with Sinclair aware that he has been handed an excellent opportunity with the west London giants.

"I am thrilled to be signing for Chelsea," Sinclair told the Stellargroup.co.uk.

"They are one of the biggest clubs in the world and to be able to learn from the players they have there will be fantastic."

"I had offers from several big clubs but the academy setup at the club and their new training ground is incredible and I didn't need much persuading to sign."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PHB wrote:
    That is a very risky tactic, especially if its after a player agrees to personal terms.
    Once that is done, its unlikely that they would be willing resest and start over.
    ---

This is Chelsea we're talking about. Chuck a couple of million at anyone and they'll not mind resigning a few papers.

personalterms = personalterms + 1 , signed, sealed and delivered.

It's just a theory though, they could just end up having another crap set of transfer dealings (I thought they did rather poorly last year).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

apparently chelsea have shown and interest in owen this morning according to a couple of the bigger soccer sites...this given their failure to lure eto away from barca

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bannor wrote:
    Del Horno (Bilbao) pulled out of an agreed transfer to Barcelona based on a contract offer from Chelsea which he accepted. Neither he nor the club have heard from Chelsea since - Kaladze (Milan) appears to be the first choice. Milan are in negotiations with Chelsea regarding Kaladze and Crespo

Chelsea will not be signing Kaladze. They were only willing to offer crespo and money in exchange for Kaladze but Milan have stated that they will pay money or lose a player in order to sign crespo they will only take him on a free transfer which chelsea are unwilling to do. Del Horno is only other option and looks like he may sign although it certainly is no done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

apparently eto'o turned down a move to Chelsea because his wife didn't want to move to London. Chelsea being linked now with Schevchenko , which would be cool but at 100 million euro seems a lot for a 30 year old, still rather him than Owen anyday, I just don't think Owen has it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Apparently Chelsea have now joined the race for Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Del Horno signing confirmed tonight for €12m.

“Asier is an outstanding international player who will add quality to the squad in a position we needed to strengthen,” said Mourinho on the club’s official website, www.chelseafc.com.

“I’m sure he will be a key player as Chelsea continue with the goal to achieve greater success both in England and in the Champions League.”

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon added: “Jose identified his target to fill the left-back position and we’re delighted Asier has chosen to come to Chelsea.

“The arrival of Asier signifies Chelsea’s desire to strengthen the squad in key positions following a hugely successful season and we all look forward to seeing Asier in the blue of Chelsea in July.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭madjack

what you reckon on the offer for shevo? €85m including Crespo. I reckon its insane, Milan should have bitten their hands off! No player is worth that money. I would have just kept Crespo and saved 73m euros in one fell swoop.
    Now there are markets in the bookies for Chelski to beat the 100 million mark this summer for one player... mad world, huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Fee agreed for SWP, expected to join next week, Essien also likely to join in the same week.

Maka in front of the back 4 with Lamps and Essien in the centre. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

although trying to dump the donkeys of glen johnson and robert huth on spurs as payment for arnesen was cheeky.
    like we needed another couple of 'ginger pele' type players!

be interested to see what this deal they have struck is. would have preffered scott parker myself. or makalele :)

smuckers wrote:
    Fee agreed for SWP, expected to join next week, Essien also likely to join in the same week.

Nice. Suprised they're buying 2 midfielders though as Mourinho said he still wants a striker. Thats 6 players from Makelele, Lampard, Essien, SWP, Duff, Robben, Tiago, Cole, Drogba, Gudjohnson, new striker. And thats not including Kezman, Geremi, Smertin and Jarosik. It'll be tough keeping them all happy. :)

People just like making stuff up :)
    He's said like 20 times he is buying three players and selling three players, why do people think he is lying?
    Also why the **** would he buy a winger?
    Lets see
    Duff + Robben
    SWP could not have a chance of getting in
    Then you have Joe Cole as backup, which SWP couldn't get past either.
    So he'd be 4th choice winger.

Essien is a possibility, but there has been no bid from Chelsea yet, at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    why do people think he is lying?
    Also why the **** would he buy a winger?
    Lets see
    Duff + Robben
    SWP could not have a chance of getting in
    Then you have Joe Cole as backup, which SWP couldn't get past either.
    So he'd be 4th choice winger.
    He was always looking for a winger. Joaquin was another target apparently.

SWP would be a great signing, hes naturally right sided. And he is a class act. Far better than Cole. You seem to have a problem with him because you think he is overrated because he is English. But its blatantly obvious that hes banging the goals in, not to mention getting tonnes of assists, in a mediocre side. And hes only 23 or so. A far safer bet than Joaquin or any other mega-superstar foreign winger.

Thats jsut plain old silly.

First off, he is overrated because he is English. He is an english player who is young and good, thus every single english media outlet praises him to gods end just so they can think they have a potential Ronaldinho in their team so that they might win the world cup again. Happens with every single english player there is.
    Secondly he plays for city so thats always a negative, but I can see why others wouldn't think that.
    Thirdly, Duffer is five times the player he is, playing on the wrong side.
    Fourthly, if SWP is so impressive, how come he can't get into the English squad unliek Joe Cole who can? He also can't push out Beckham who hasn't been having a great year by his standerds. Compare that to Joaquin's 8(could be higher) caps, and a world cup appearance already
    Fifthly, its easy to be the only good player in a ****e team, its harder to be a good player in a team where the other 11 are stars.

Sixthly, have you ever watched Joaquin play?
    Mourinho would give away Robben Cole and SWP for a chance to have Joaquin in his team! This guy is going to be one of the best players in the world once he moves to a top team, and every single top club knows it, hence why they all want to buy him. Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man United and Barca are all credited with bids for him that have been flatly refused. SWP hasn't even had a confirmed bid from one team, just hype about him.

joaquin is like having a robben on the right side of the pitch, only he's got more experience, he's developed more, he's better, and if a team was to spend 25 - 30 million on him they'd be getting value for every penny. he's also young, so he's got alot of years ahead of him. having him and alonso at pool would be nice :D

swp is a good player, and anyone thats watched him in a few matches can see that, but i dont see him getting any better in that man city team. he's go far under mourinho or any of the other top mangers. i'd like to see how he does with a better team around him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Manchester City have not received any bids for winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    Newspaper reports on Saturday claimed Chelsea were poised to sign the England youngster on a five-year contract for a transfer fee of £18m.

But BBC Sport understands that no formal offer for Wright-Phillips, 23, has been received by City.
    I really hope Arsenal don't let the chance of signing SWP slip by. He's definately overpriced, but he'd give the team such a mental boost if he signed and it'd be worth it just for the "Shaun Wright Wright Wright..." chants. It'd just be wrong if he ended up at Chelsea :(

PHB wrote:
    Thats jsut plain old silly.

First off, he is overrated because he is English. He is an english player who is young and good, thus every single english media outlet praises him to gods end just so they can think they have a potential Ronaldinho in their team so that they might win the world cup again. Happens with every single english player there is.
    Secondly he plays for city so thats always a negative, but I can see why others wouldn't think that.
    Fourthly, if SWP is so impressive, how come he can't get into the English squad unliek Joe Cole who can? He also can't push out Beckham who hasn't been having a great year by his standerds. Compare that to Joaquin's 8(could be higher) caps, and a world cup appearance already
    Fifthly, its easy to be the only good player in a ****e team, its harder to be a good player in a team where the other 11 are stars.

how many times have you seen him joaquin play?

Also, since SWP cant get on the england team he isnt good enough? if jesus was rised from the dead(again) and was eligible for England Sven would still pick beckham. Beckham will only lose his place when sven loses his job.

Why is duff 5 times the player? sure your only saying that cos hes irish and you want to hype him up.. ;)

YOu do know betis arent excactly world class aswell? I think Man city might of even finished higher then them. hmmmm, strange how it counts against SWP but not joaquin.

I watch Joaquin play every time Betis or Spain are on TV cause he is a great player to watch.

The reason I talked about England and SWP is because SWP hasn't proved himself in a team full of stars.
    Joaquin has, and his preformances for Spain have been world class.

Duff isn't a quality player beacuse he is Irish, he is a quality player. He is regarded by most as a quality player, and he isn't hyped up by the Irish media, he doesn't need to be.

PHB wrote:
    And Joaquin of course couldnt possibly be over-hyped?
    PHB wrote:
    As has been pointed out, see your above point.
    PHB wrote:
    Joe Cole has been playing on the left side. SWP is a right sided player. The problem with Beckham being immoveable has been pointed out. Joe Cole also plays for Chelsea, he is going to get more games for England if he plays with a bigger team, thats a fact.

Joaquin only has 19 caps. Hardly a huge number for a 24 year old. Yet I cant remember a world class right sided Spanish player that could have been keeping him out. I watched him in EC2004 as I had him in my FF team, he looked very good, but its not as if he set the world alight.
    PHB wrote:
    Just like Joaquin looks good for Betis. Hes cant remember him ever really shining on the international stage.
    PHB wrote:
    Mourinho would give away Robben Cole and SWP for a chance to have Joaquin in his team! This guy is going to be one of the best players in the world once he moves to a top team, and every single top club knows it, hence why they all want to buy him.
    He "is going" to be one of the best players in the world? At 24 he would want to be almost there to be honest. He will play in the CL for the first time next year, the lad still has TONNES to prove.
    PHB wrote:
    Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man United and Barca are all credited with bids for him that have been flatly refused. SWP hasn't even had a confirmed bid from one team, just hype about him.
    All "credited", just like Chelsea have been "credited". Nothing "confirmed" for either player.
    PHB wrote:
    I watch Joaquin play every time Betis or Spain are on TV cause he is a great player to watch.
    But you failed to answer his question. How many times have you seen him play? I dont remember Spain or Betis being on the box much. I actually think it was kdjac in a previous thread that pointed out that Betis have only been on TV with Joaquin in the team three times or so this year?
    PHB wrote:
    The reason I talked about England and SWP is because SWP hasn't proved himself in a team full of stars.
    Joaquin has, and his preformances for Spain have been world class.
    When? He only started a single game at Euro 2004, and two out of five at the WC in 2002.

I havnt seen much of Spain's current qualifying campaign but the way they are playing I find it hard to believe he is tearing defences apart. Aside from San Marino they have only scored five goals in six games, four of which were against the mighty Bosnia and Lithuania. He also been on the bench for a couple of games.

I think its clearly you doing the hyping here. In four seasons at Betis Joaquin has NEVER reached double figures in terms of goals. SWP has, for the second season in a row. SWP is an incredible crosser and dribbler, demonstrated by the number of assists and penalties he gets. He is pure class, and safely in Joaquin's league.

YOu do know betis arent excactly world class aswell? I think Man city might of even finished higher then them. hmmmm, strange how it counts against SWP but not joaquin.
    Betis finished 4th. :)

I'd have SWP before Joaquin anyway.

SWP certainly impressed me when I saw him against Chelsea, although I did think he wasn't quite strong enough to stand up to the big centre backs and score. However if you give him a bit of freedom then he's dangerous.

SWP v Joaquin, roman should do it the Chelsea way, just buy both of them and then see who to play :-)

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Betis finished 4th. :)

I'd have SWP before Joaquin anyway.

:o

thought they just missed out.

And Joaquin of course couldnt possibly be over-hyped?
    Course he could, but Spanish media doesn't do that. There is no desperate need for super kids.
    The problem with Beckham being immoveable has been pointed out.

Thats just bull****.
    The simple fact of the matter is that Beckham is a better player than SWP. Lots of people have a chip on their shoulder about him, but he is always there when England need someone to produce the goods.
    Joe Cole also plays for Chelsea, he is going to get more games for England if he plays with a bigger team, thats a fact.

Why do you think that is?
    Do you think its because people say, look at Cole, he is doing well in a CHelsea shirt thus he should get a shot?
    Or is it because he is doing well in a team full of great players, and still shining through, thus he should get a shot?

Joaquin only has 19 caps. Hardly a huge number for a 24 year old. Yet I cant remember a world class right sided Spanish player that could have been keeping him out.

24 years old a not a lot of caps?
    Joe Cole's 23 and has like 5.
    Just like Joaquin looks good for Betis. Hes cant remember him ever really shining on the international stage.

Betis aren't a ****e team, Man City are.
    And I remember him shining on the international stage.

He "is going" to be one of the best players in the world? At 24 he would want to be almost there to be honest. He will play in the CL for the first time next year, the lad still has TONNES to prove.

He is almost there, once he gets into a decent team.
    The lad has to prove himself at the highest highest level, cause he has already proven himself for Spain and for a 4th place team in La Liga.

All "credited", just like Chelsea have been "credited". Nothing "confirmed" for either player.

Sorry, I didn't mean credited in the made up sense.
    I meant
    "We have very important offers for the sale of Joaquin,"
    One of them will be Barcelona.
    "All the great clubs are always open for negotiations when you speak about a star and Joaquin is a very good player."
    "Chelsea, Madrid, Manchester and other teams want Joaquin, but now we can close the door."

There have been multipe bids for him, says the president of Betis.
    Compare that to Man City and SWP:
    "Shaun has not been sold, we have received no bids for him nor will we encourage any,"
    But you failed to answer his question. How many times have you seen him play? I dont remember Spain or Betis being on the box much. I actually think it was kdjac in a previous thread that pointed out that Betis have only been on TV with Joaquin in the team three times or so this year?

I've seen him play about 10 times this season afaik.
    I saw him in two cup matches, I think four La Liga matches and I think four internationals. I can't remember exactly though.
    When? He only started a single game at Euro 2004, and two out of five at the WC in 2002.

He cames on as subs for a lot of those games.
    Also the qualifying campaign he has been impressive.
    By your logic, I can't imagine SWP is doing well considering how well Man City are doing in the premiership, but thats not really logical is it?

Hey, SWP's a good player, and will probably be a great player, but he hasn't proved he can hack it at the top, because he hasn't been given a chance to.
    He is like Joe Cole or whoever, and will probably prove himself to me around 23/24 when most players really get into their best game, but until then Joaquin is a way way way better player and I know the managers of the top clubs agree with me, hence why he is so sought after

PHB wrote:
    Course he could, but Spanish media doesn't do that. There is no desperate need for super kids.
    And you can tell this from your gross exposure to the Spanish media?

The likes of Torres, Alonso, Joaquin are all hugely hyped. Now Im not saying that they are not good players, they all are, but their media is the same as the English ones as regards their good young players.
    PHB wrote:
    Thats just bull****.
    The simple fact of the matter is that Beckham is a better player than SWP. Lots of people have a chip on their shoulder about him, but he is always there when England need someone to produce the goods.
    Beckham is a cracking player, I dont deny it, Ive always thought it. But at times this year he has not been playing well, but he never got dropped because he was Erickson's appointed captain, not because SWP wasnt good enough.

Beckham has shown over his career that he is world class, but at times this year it is arguable that he was playing better that SWP, thats the simple fact of the matter.
    PHB wrote:
    Why do you think that is?
    Do you think its because people say, look at Cole, he is doing well in a CHelsea shirt thus he should get a shot?
    Or is it because he is doing well in a team full of great players, and still shining through, thus he should get a shot?
    No its purely because of him getting the exposure by playing for a big team.

Two examples:

Emile Heskey, named in almost every England squad at Liverpool, collecting 43 caps including playing in last Summers EC. Moves to Birmingham, hasnt played since, despite probably having the best season on the pitch that he has had in recent years.

Alan Smith, has collected almost half of his England caps (7/15) to date in one year with United despite spending most of it on the bench. He made his debut over 4 years ago and only collected 8 caps in that time before joining United.

If you dont think that players get more of a chance at international level by playing with the "top" clubs you are kidding yourself.
    PHB wrote:
    24 years old a not a lot of caps?
    Joe Cole's 23 and has like 5.
    Cole has 23 actually, indicating that 19 caps at 24 from Joaquin is hardly a huge number.
    PHB wrote:
    Betis aren't a ****e team, Man City are.
    And I remember him shining on the international stage.
    Betis are hardly world beaters. They were in the second division four years ago. They are a top half Spanish league team, who finished extremely high this year due to poor league campaign from traditionally strong sides Valencia and Deportivo.

They are hardly streets ahead of City in terms of league position over the last few years.

You might remember him shining on the international stage, but he didnt at either the WC or EC, so where has he done this?

PHB wrote:
    I've seen him play about 10 times this season afaik.
    I saw him in two cup matches, I think four La Liga matches and I think four internationals. I can't remember exactly though.
    Well if you say so.

I dont remember so many Spanish national team games being on the box.
    PHB wrote:
    Also the qualifying campaign he has been impressive.
    By your logic, I can't imagine SWP is doing well considering how well Man City are doing in the premiership, but thats not really logical is it?
    No its very different.

Spain have won two of six games (one of which was against a 9 man Belgian team), and gotten very poor results against weak teams, scoring few goals. Man City did very well over the season and won a lot of games and scored a good amount of goals.

I dont pretend to have seen all of Spains games, but I find it hard to believe that Joaquin is playing out of his skin seeing as Spain are finding it hard to score against Bosnia and Lithuania. He hasnt scored himself, and I dont think he has set up any goals.
    PHB wrote:
    Hey, SWP's a good player, and will probably be a great player, but he hasn't proved he can hack it at the top, because he hasn't been given a chance to.
    He is like Joe Cole or whoever, and will probably prove himself to me around 23/24 when most players really get into their best game, but until then Joaquin is a way way way better player and I know the managers of the top clubs agree with me, hence why he is so sought after
    I dont deny that Joaquin is a good player. But you seem to think he is some god, and its just not true.

You also seem to think that SWP is over-rated, yet all the managers of the top clubs in England would jump at the chance to snap him up if he became available. He has proven again this season that he is a goal machine, and has gotten much more assists this year.

He would be a stunning buy for any of the top clubs as he is probably better than anything that they could currently offer on the right hand side of midfield, with the only possible exception being Chelsea.

this lack of signing a striker is getting a bit annoying, turned down by eto'o, Schevchenko, Adriano , Trezeguet and now Torres.

I can understand their clubs not wanting to sell any of the above to a team likely to be their main rivals in Europe but I am a bit surprised that Roman hasn't offered them (the players) enough cash to make them come to the Bridge.

Now it looks like we're getting Crespo back, at least Kezman will be gone. Drogba and Crespo should be capable of doing the business but I would love to see another big name up front (that doesn;t include Owen).

Thought money could buy you anything!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

growler wrote:
    I can understand their clubs not wanting to sell any of the above to a team likely to be their main rivals in Europe but I am a bit surprised that Roman hasn't offered them (the players) enough cash to make them come to the Bridge.

Maybe he should try threatening players families to make them come ;)

Honestly, if a player doesn't want to play for your team then you shouldn't be bothered with them - that goes for any team not just Chelsea. Just move on and look elsewhere. When you've got that amount of money you'll pick someone up eventually.

As a United fan I'd honestly think the same about any of our top guys, if they don't want to be there then fu*k 'em.

smuckers wrote:

positively mouthwatering :) add duff and robben and jaysus thats sinful

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    Maybe he should try threatening players families to make them come ;)

Honestly, if a player doesn't want to play for your team then you shouldn't be bothered with them - that goes for any team not just Chelsea. Just move on and look elsewhere. When you've got that amount of money you'll pick someone up eventually.

As a United fan I'd honestly think the same about any of our top guys, if they don't want to be there then fu*k 'em.
    if they cant get hold of any of the top strikers its only a matter of time before the blues come knocking on old horseface's door ... better watch out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

madjack wrote:
    if they cant get hold of any of the top strikers its only a matter of time before the blues come knocking on old horseface's door ... better watch out ;)

There's been talk in the papers alright. Like I say, if he wants to follow the money/glory then let him. He's done well for us but then we showed a lot of faith in him when he recovered from his major surgery just before we signed him.

Van Nist would never ever ever join a club in the same division of United.
    If he was to leave, to which i've seen absolutly nothing whatsoever to suggest that he himself does except for the Sun making up more anti-United stories, it would be to Spain or Italy.
    But he won't :)

Does anyone else think that CHelsea might just get fed up, and Amrocimich will say to Milan,
    A: Look how much do you want for Shev?
    Milan: 150 million euro?
    A: Deal!
    And screw up the transfer market for years to come

Kezman confirmed to Atletico.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=288078&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=KEZMAN+COMPLETES+MADRID+MOVE&channel=football_home

Does that mean they will be going for two strikers? Only Drogba and Gudjohnsen (who played in midfield towards the end of last year) left as senior strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'm sure he will keep Crespo this season now. Kezman is a great striker, but he just never really got a good run in the team. also he is probably better suited to a 4-4-2.
    Crespo left last season because he didn;t get enough games under "the tinkerer" the full season he was with Chelsea he scored 10 goals in 800 minutes of league football!! thats over an average of one goal a game.

Crespo is world class, Moruniho wanted him to stay for this season but Crespo felt unsetteled.

Mutu was also a great striker but suffered with injuries and then got the sack for the drugs.

The only thing that chelsea can do now is buy youth and develop their own talent.

None of the big clubs want to sell their big players to one of their closest rivals!

• Advertisement

torres and kezman up front for AM now?

not to shabby.....

torres and kezman up front for AM now?

not to shabby.....

yeah wait till you see, Kezman does a Forlan :)

wait till we see, I reckon Jose will get a top striker, its just a matter of time... midfield is looking really tops though, if the rumoured players arrive, we should withstand any injury spate next season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

torres and kezman is a good strikeforce in anyones book. i really hope chelsea dont get any quality strikers in as i am a united fan, but the news that vieri was released today may alert slaphead kenyon and all the other rentboys at stamford bridge into action. i believe that chelsea with vieri spearheading their attack would be a much tougher propostition than with drogba/gudjonsen

PHB wrote:
    Does anyone else think that CHelsea might just get fed up, and Amrocimich will say to Milan,
    A: Look how much do you want for Shev?
    Milan: 150 million euro?
    A: Deal!
    And screw up the transfer market for years to come

yes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I would like to see Asier Del Horno do well at Chelsea but where will this leave Wayne Bridge?

Chelsea were in for Owen, but those rumours started to die down since it was announced that Owen was in Wanderley Luxumbergo's plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Read somewhere (think it was goal.com) that Chelsea are planning on offering €51mil for Gilardino. Seem to be getting very desperate at this moment, thats a bit much isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Hasn't he been top scorer in serie A for the past to seasons. If so, he's probably worth it. Milan also want to sign him and that is his preferred destination.

According to the BBC Man City have rejected a £20m bid by Chelsea for SWP. Unless they're holding out for more money they are fools to reject that.

and now it seems City have agreed a price and are willing to let SWP talk to Chelsea. I'm still not certain that Chelsea even need him , but he haass impressed me everry time I've seen him play. Essien deal looks close to being done too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4621425.stm

• Advertisement
Advertisement