Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on used cars!

Options
  • 19-06-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

I'm about to buy a car in the 5-7k bracket.

I seen a few today I think are ok. I have yet to drive them, but is there anything I need to ask with regards to these cars or does anyone have any opinions on them? There was also a site posted here before about when cars need things replaced etc! Can someone post that again please?

Anyways the cars. Austrian cars seems to be a little more expensive than used cars in Ireland and high km's usually means a lot of motorway driving. Roads (and drivers) are also generally better so that might affect certain things.

Mondeo 1.8TD, 2000, 90hp, 121,000km, 12month Guarantee, Metallic Blue ;), aircon etc., €6,900

Citroen Xsara (I think it was 1.6 but not sure, petrol) May98, 90hp, 100,000km, aircon etc., €5,980

Skoda Octavia, 1999, 110hp, 205,000km, €6,400

Audi A4, 1.6l, Nov95, 101hp, 87,400km, €5,990

I think the mileage (km?) on the Octavia is very high but as I said it may be motorway km's. The Audi has very low mileage and the hp, like the ocatavia's, may be a little too high for my liking (insurance linked to hp).

I like the look of the ford but the Citroen doesn't look too bad either! What do others think? I'll be doing somewhere in the region of 20-30,000 km a year so petrol/diesel won't make a huge difference, I think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm currently looking at various cars in the €7-8.5k bracket.

My advice is to buy the best (maintained, newest, etc) car that you can afford - plus have it checked out by an expert if you are not too mechanically inclined (and maybe even if you are - cars are a lot more complicated nowadays!).

And don't forget to do a pre-purchase finance check - you don't want your new motor to br repossesed by a finance company! ;)

Advertisement