Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen Checklist

Options
  • 19-06-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Alright, I'm a festival virgin and have no idea what to bring. I need to make up a list of supplies, so if all you festival veterans could help, it'd be much appreciated. Here's my list so far:

1: Bog roll
    2: .....Bog roll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm always amazed at how cold it gets at night. When you're out in the country with no concrete to release heat at night, its ****ing freezing to be honest. I recommend bringing a couple of jumpers and a coat, even if its really scorching during the day.

Bog roll is an essential alright. The food is extortionately priced, so bring a wad of cash with you. You might also want to leave your taste-buds at home. Don't expect value for money! You also may want to lose your sense of smell, since the campsite starts to stink after about 3 hours. If you want to get any sleep over the course of the event, you'll either need earplugs, or enough drink to knock yourself out.

Don't take any valuables. I wouldn't even really bother with a phone - delays on messages usually run up to about 4 hours. Coverage is generally non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Socks!!! Bring lots of socks!!

Baby Wipes for your showering!

Food that can be squashed in a bag cos all food will be!

Never eat from anything that's Benson, you WILL get food poisoning!

Something warm! No matter if it's the hottest day out it'll be cold at night and could be unexpectaly cold the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh bring a few tshirts to get changed into as you get all sweated up from jumping around all day.
    Theres a shuttle bus that runs every 5 minutes into the town nearby so you can pick up all your beer etc
    Bring a bright flag or something to stick on your tent so you will notice it in among all the other tents as Ive got lost so many times stumbling back until we decided to put my mates orange tshirt on top of his tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I see your problem there Garth - you've gone for a distinctly average-sized tent like everyone else. What you need to do is get yourself a tent so big it can be seen from space. Its therefore almost unavoidable in the campsite. Thats what we did last year. Then some ****ers slashed it out of spite. Slight downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Slashed it?Nasty!
    Yeh most people go for the lidl tents just before the gig or some sort of small tent but when youve got a whole sea of them how the hell do you tell which is yours?Especially when drunk/stoned/wasted/inebriated/downright fúcked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

There was the idea of setting up a marquee, but I doubt it'll be put into action. I have a Jolly Roger in case of mistaken tent identities, but I'm afraid it'll be stolen or something. Will there be a Lidl or Aldi nearby by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Jelly, when you start to crash towards the end of thew day or wake up really really tired on sunday eat a stick of raw jelly, it will keep you going. you will needa fair few sticks though because when you come down you'll be even tirerder and need more jelly. but its really is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

dimerocks wrote:
    Jelly, when you start to crash towards the end of thew day or wake up really really tired on sunday eat a stick of raw jelly, it will keep you going. you will needa fair few sticks though because when you come down you'll be even tirerder and need more jelly. but its really is helpful.

sounds like a vicous circle. you might want to put a dentist's phone number on the checklist after that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

its almost as vicious as the debt boomerang but slightly less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

bring a pillow case and stuff it with ur clothes..saves on bringing a proper pillow.
    black bags,they are multi-purpose!
    rain gear and suncream,you will probably need both.
    and pack lightly,the walk to the campsite is a killer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

With the taste of festival fresh in my mouth I recommend:

Tent, sleeping bag and groundmat. If you forget the groundmat you'll freeze
    A coat
    A torch
    Bog roll, travel first aid kit, headache tablets and codoms (you never know!)
    Food - 16+ nutrigrain bars are a good move. Also, you can get decent meals-in-a-bag from camping shops
    Suncream and sunglasses
    Booze as appropriate
    Underwear and socks to change into - bring other clothes if you want, but expect them to be destroyed
    Money - stuff is expensive. Take at least €100, more if you plan to get some clothes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

Friend of mine brought a tin of jam sandwiches last year. they were yummy on the sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

i reckon the best thing to bring is other well-prepared people. then you can sleep in their massive tent, eat their food, wear their clothes (they'll probably bring too many), drink their drink and generally be a really popular head around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Duck Tape and Black Bin Liners - essential should tent surgery become necessary.
    Canned fruit - much better than the mangy breakfast rolls they sell from the vans and it'll help with the hangover.
    Penknife/can-opener - the fruit would be fairly useless without it.
    Beer cooler - Use bottles of frozen water instead of the blue thingies to keep your beer cold. That way you've a supply of chilled drinking water too.
    A Torch - It can be a nightmare trying to find your tent without one. Good tip is to camp underneath one of the security towers, it'll keep your stuff (slightly) safer and they don't give a **** about any funny smelling smoke coming from your tent ;)
    A Sense of Humour - Things will go wrong, the food is going to be crap, you're going to get wet/muddy and your beer will probably be warm by Sunday afternoon so you'll need to be able to laugh off things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There was a thing in either Sturday's Irish Times Magazine or the week before's on camping at concerts. Some handy tips and useful information there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Poncho - for the rain , not too esential as the phone companies usually give out free ones.

Booze - spirits and coke take up much less space than beer as a tip.(premix them in plastic bottles to avoid mess and loss). If you do bring beer overestimate, you can allways sell on at a high price if you bring too much and are a bastard.

Toothbrush and paste - your mouth will taste like crap after the fist night.

Toilet paper - Its a multy purpose tool

Food - hmmm the camp site food is the worst I have ever eaten. In the concert area there is an abrakababra which is nice. But you will also have to queue for food. Bring some ham sandwitches and crisps to tide you over.

Socks - as someone above said socks are vital they get wet and mucky so have lots of spares.

Spare shoes - bring a second pair of old runners

Condom - so you dont come home with more than memories.( Note: This is the one item I cannot guarantee you will need :) )

Disposable camera - If your one of them people who like photos.

Black bags - use as crap poncho or to sit on if the ground gets real muddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

If only Oxegen was still held in Fairyhouse!! Ten mins drive from my house :rolleyes:

Damn that hour-long drive behind what may as well be a herd of cattle all the way from north dublin to Punchestown... Thank god I don't have to do it again until next year!! (That's right! I'm NOT going this year!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

This list is classic, nice one lads...didnt even think of the tent finding....guess everyone has that lifl tent! we were thinking of bringign down lilos for inside tent ...any toughts? might be easier to use then camping mats? good for a laugh anyway....watch the hot rocks i guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

this list is gettin me in a real festival mood...its great....

bring face clothes, they are smaller than towels so they dont take up room in your bag and they do a good cleaning job on your face/armpits/genitals, also a bar of soap.

already said above but homemade sambos are great! I have a system, meaty sambos(ham,chicken,etc)for saturday, then jam/plain sambos for sunday/monday morning since these will stay relativly fresh.

vasaline/labello for people similar to me who get chapped lips after a session!

a travel pillow if you have one.

penny jellys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

its always a good idea to get your hair braided (if you have long hair), it desnt get as greasy or full of sh!t. oh yea and the whole deodrant wipes/ face cloth thing is always good!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andy42

yeh,theres a lidl a bit of a walk away after you get the bus,i live in Naas and if you bother goin all th way to lidl i would go to halfords,much bettr value and quality,just got a tent there for 30 euro,its class,easy to assemble too,if u get the shuttle in and want to walk to it,all you hav to do is walk towards eurospar,then turn right(if you headin from the post office) and keep walkin,its a fair trek tho,sorry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There's an oxegen thread. Use it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And congrats on reviving a 5 year old zombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement