Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrade eircom broadband 2mb to 1mb service?

• 19-06-2005 3:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys im considering downgrading from eircoms 2mb line to 1 mb line as i simply dont use anywhere near my 16GB dload limit.
    From what i see my ingame pings are exactly the same as my mates on 1mb line.
    Currently im paying 54 yooy a month where as the 1mb line is 39 yoyos or so.
    The thing is, my understanding is my 2mb setup at local exchange is physically different and seperate from the 1mb setups.
    Will this mean i have to wait a period of time to be downgraded by an engineer at the exchange or can it be done over the phone?
    Thakyou in advace guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You will only have to wait as long as it takes for the Eircom engineer to switch around the wires. You will have only a very hsort period of downtime (a few minutes at the most) and after that you'll be fine.

You may have a bit of trouble getting Eircom to downgrade you though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

costs 15 yoyos min , upgrades are free but downgrades incur an admin charge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    costs 15 yoyos min , upgrades are free but downgrades incur an admin charge.

That is the wholesale, ex VAT charge, I don't know how much the retail charge is, but I assume it is more.

BTW there wouldn't be any physical work involved, as long as you are plugged into the DSLAM it would just be changing a setting on a computer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:
    That is the wholesale, ex VAT charge, I don't know how much the retail charge is, but I assume it is more.

BTW there wouldn't be any physical work involved, as long as you are plugged into the DSLAM it would just be changing a setting on a computer.

And to think that UTV require a further 12 month contract for this!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

dub45 wrote:
    And to think that UTV require a further 12 month contract for this!!!!!

UTV are funny!
    But ya u get changed onto a different card in ur exchange to put u on the higher contention ratio. 48:1 i think it is. You shouldnt get any noticeable downtime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement