Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I wire a second phone socket?

• 19-06-2005 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

It sounds simple but it has me very confused....
    So, I have a hole in the wall with the cables hanging out, its a new house so there was just a face plate over the socket. Not sure how the wire is extended from the master socket.
    From reading other threads and opening up the master socket, I think i need to use the orange/white and blue/white wires and these need to be hooked up to pins 2-5 on the socket.

I've bought the new socket which has 4 wires going to pins 2-5. The wires are yellow, red, green & black.

The questions are, which of the orange/white & blue/white go to which pins e.g. orange with white bands goes to....
    and how the hell do i work out which pins are 2-5 on the new socket.

I can't check the master socket as the actual wiring bit is encased in plastic....only thing i can see from that is where the 4 cables end....
    white with orange bands goes to a termination labelled S1
    orange with white bands goes to S2
    Blue with white bands goes to L1
    white with blue bands goes to L2

Any help is appreciated, also i have dsl on the line so i need to make sure I don't screw that up while trying to wire the second socket.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

ok qulifyed electrician here..

on ur new faceplate connect the blue/white and white/blue cores to the red and green terminals of the faceplateie. bl/wh to red...and wh/bl to green..that should get ur pnone working.....the or/wh and wh/or cores on the new faceplate are not needed....

hope ur able to follow that..

stag39

oh yeah forgot to mention don't short the two cores together when connecxting them as u will trip the exchange... also as far as i know it shouldnt affect the dsl line thats what the or/wh and wh/or cores are being used for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Had to read this one a few times before I got it, I think.
    If you are wiring up a second socket somewhere else in the house, as I understand that you are, you will need to use the Slave (S1 and S2) pair coming from the existing master socket and wire them up to Pins 3&4 (Red and Green, the centre contacts on the socket's connector) on the new socket you're installing.
    So from your description of the master socket, it's the Orange (Organge+White, White+Orange) pair you need to wire the extension/slave socket to where the cable is hanging free today.
    One thing: this is all based on a direct connection between you master socket and extension socket - if you have other blanked-off faceplates elsewhere n the house (unlikely, as this costs builders!) then you may have to do some more work, but we'll cross that hurdle when we come to it!
    Hope I understood your post properly, by the way.
    /MK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Thanks for the responses....
    I tried both wiring configurations described above and no dial tone with either.

Also, not sure if it changes anything, but i would like to be able to hook my dsl modem up to either socket.

are you sure there are no extra phone points round the house?
    ie. ones not connected yet..
    the wires might have to be joined like to like if so in those ones..

i now recall if u have the eircom master ph. point front off it should kill any voltage in the rest of them..but dont take any chances regading shortingout the exchange..

p.m. me if ur still having trouble as i can call round to have a quick look and sort it out for u....all for no charge!! and should only take a few minutes..

check also that the red/green pair on the new ph. point is the middle pair of the socket..ie the ones leading to the copper springs that do the connecting to the phone plug...

and just a thought the master socket probally has the cable leading to the new ph. point in it and not connected...hence ur continuing problem..

using the s1 and s2 terminals is eircoms safeguarding way of not shorting the incoming phone circuit to the house...on that do u have an extra live ph. point in the house? hence the already in use slave connections..

what dsl service are u using? as in isdn uses a second pair into the house..

hope u can make sense of all this info..

niall ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Sorry if it seems I am hi-jacking the thread , not my intention , but this caught my attention .
    stag39 wrote:
    also as far as i know it shouldnt affect the dsl line thats what the or/wh and wh/or cores are being used for...

My phone sockets only have the wh/bl bl/wh wires connected , and I have had dls for 2 years , am I picking this up wrong ?

Hi Jonski, forgot to mention in my last post that madkevo was right about the s1 and s2 connected cores being the extension cores on another cable to another ph. point and not a 2nd line on the same incoming cable.. sorry for any confusion ..

the eircom engineer, maybe should have kept to the same colour code of the second cable -- if this is the case-- to stop any confusion of further eircom installers... as technically they are the only ones to open the master sockets...

in that i think the phone servive from master socket onwards in this case are the colour coded cores or/wh wh/or..

and those cores to the new ph. point are damaged ie. crushed, nail etc, in some way hence no dial tone... the only way to know for sure is to test the cable with a meter for voltage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

jonski wrote:
    Sorry if it seems I am hi-jacking the thread , not my intention , but this caught my attention .

My phone sockets only have the wh/bl bl/wh wires connected , and I have had dls for 2 years , am I picking this up wrong ?

DSL works over the same wires as voice, it simply uses a larger frequency spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Thanks for all the replies...probably be a few days before i have time to mess about with it again.
    I don't have a multi-meter, just one of those current detectors, type used to make sure I don't drill into power cables. I check if there was any voltage using this and all 4 cables discussed above show a reading, although I'm not sure this is an accurate test for voltage on a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I am 70% certain that in Ireland, when the phone is put "on the hook" i.e. you hang up, the two wires are "shorted" by the phone circuitry. When there is an incoming call, a 70 Volt signal is sent to the phone and using more circuitry, this makes the phone ring. I think what this means is that it is perfectly safe to short the wires but the phone won't be able to make or recieve calls. Also, I found this little gem on the 'net: it's a short guide on how to wire the master socket. I had to take it from the main file because the full file is too big. Here ya go.

Btw the attachment doesnt mention this but the extension linemust be connected to the terminals on the front faceplate marked "L1 and L2", not "S1 and S2". S1 and S2 are for a second phone line. And regarding the wire colours, that's a pretty complex issue because it depends on each case. At home here it's b/w connected to green and w/b connected to red. What does matter is that whichever wire is used to serve a pin say pin 3, then that wire needs to be used for the same pin in every other socket.

In other words, if blue/white is connected to pin 3, white/blue cannot be connected to pin 3 in the second socket. That sounds fine but there can be an issue if eircom used the inverse way to wire the master socket backplate (the network termination unit). Hope that makes sense :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement