Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay fever and studying....

Options
  • 19-06-2005 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

This is freakin' horrible. I finally got down to doing some work today, and next thing I know I'm almost blowing my nose off with sneezing. I'm beginning to think someone up there doesn't want me to study anymore.

I was thinking about taking some kind of pills for it, but from what I remember most Hayfever solutions make you drowsy. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has got any magical cures or solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Take a shower and wash your hair. Get stuff called Sterimar in Boots - it's sterile saline solution - and squirt it up your nose into your sinuses - about four squirts per nostril.

Shower at least twice a day, and wash the pollen out of your hair and eyebrows, all through the pollen season. Change your clothes twice a day too. And use the Sterimar every day. It's magic.

And if you're working in the garden, wear gloves and wash both hands and gloves afterwards - most people who are allergic to grass pollen are also allergic to the juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

anything with anti-histomine would do the trick for you. It could make you a little drowsy at first but not too much, and not for long. Something like Claratin works for 24 hours so if you take it the night before an exam it'll still be working for you without any drowsiness the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I have hayfever tablets that are non-drowsy... they're generic things, 'histaclar' are the ones I have now. work fine, too, but my hayfever isn't very bad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Yeah it's horrible studying with hayfever, it's been bugging me since afternoon. I got myself some piriton it's non-drowsy it worked really well last summer but it's doing nothing for me now, I'm gonna have to get something else tomorrow.

Physics tomorrow is going to be horrible, I know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

Flixonase, neo-clarityn, wrigley's extra and washing your nose with warm salt water does the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

By the way, if I'm allergic-y, I take an anti-histamine at night. Clarityn or Piriton. It does make me kind of stupid the next day, but people tell me they can't see any difference... of course, that says more about me than about the pill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

2 other things that can help: going for a jog (in some cases), because it helps open up your airways and clears your sinuses (especially if you suffer from rhinitis/sinusitis); and if you know the pressure points for your sinuses on your toes (acupuncture), that helps alot too ;) .

Advertisement