Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you fail maths?

• 19-06-2005 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I am pretty sure I scraped a pass (fingers crossed!) but was wondering if it is true that to fail maths is to basically fail the leaving cert. Even if maths isnt in your course specifications? Ive asked around but have got mixed responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

Having had a prolonged argument about this with a friend, I can reassure you that you DO NOT fail the leaving cert if you fail maths. It is however a requirement for most courses/ colleges. But some courses such as Arts and Law in UCD don't need it, and they will let you in regardless of your results in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah it's a common misconception that failing one of the compulsary three will fail the entire Leaving Cert. I'm 95% sure that if you pass five, you pass the exam, no matter what the five are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Hiya,

Don't worry! I have many friends in college(NUIM) that failed honours maths in the Leaving and still received their offers and went to college. Although they are doing Arts-not sure whether that has anything to do with it! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If you're going for LAW you should be passing Maths.

Arts on the other hand, well thats for failures anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You only fail an exam and you'll have to do it again. Part of the nonsense your friend is suggesting is likely to be ancient history. I belive that there were core subjects to pass at one point but it may even be a different exam. In the old Group Cert ( arcane exam used to help people choose a trade at 14) , you could fail by failing two subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

bazH wrote:
    If you're going for LAW you should be passing Maths.

Arts on the other hand, well thats for failures anyway

eh wat are u talking about.....im doin arts in pats after the leaving...by choice!!! im sure ill get bout 450 in the leaving and want to be a teacher and arts is the way to it......
    id be a little less open with opinions like that thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

does anyone actually know, like is it written anywhere, what happens when you fail a core subject? I've heard you fail everything if you fail one of the three, and I've heard you only fail your leaving if you fail any two or more subjects... but nobody seems to be entirely sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

SHUGAR. I've got a F (ng) in history so far and physics tomorrow aint gonna be much better. Has anyone got any linkage to actual rules on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

Ok I'm repeating the leaving because I failed Maths (H) last year. That's not to say I didnt get any cao offers. I still got offered Chem Sciences in UCC but decided to go for Civ Eng instead. I don't think failing one of the three core subjects will have any effect on your course choice unless it is a requirement. for example all engineering courses require a pass grade in hons or pass maths with the colleges such as UCC only accepting at least a c3 in higher maths.

Afaik, UCC and most other colleges do require you to pass Irish (H or O) and English.

It really depends on your corse and I'm sure you can nearly guess what you require for your course. Anything with a high maths element is sure to require a pass in maths. The same goes for courses that have an emphasis on languages like Commerce w/ French etc (obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

tis bull u dont

• Advertisement

oh for heaven's sake, then why on earth did I bother with irish all these years?! none of my courses required it!
    *huff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sabriel

Thanks that kind of puts my mind at rest as Ill be doing arts next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The Ghost of Pythagoras comes and beats you with a right angled triangle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Unless u have an exemption from the dept of ed, you have to do irish. As far as i know you need irish to get in to an irish college (think ucd,trinity etc).
    As for failing maths,as a few people have mentioned-some courses will accept you without having passed maths. Ucd has one or two courses in it. I managed to fail maths by 2% last year and decided i was going to repeat,it was that or arts. No offence to anyone doing arts,but i didnt like the sound of it and i regreted ever having put it down on my cao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

Unless u have an exemption from the dept of ed, you have to do irish. As far as i know you need irish to get in to an irish college (think ucd,trinity etc).
    QUOTE]
    You do need Irish for UCD. However for Trinity you just need to pass A languuage, either Irish or foreign one, they have no seperate requirement for foreign languages

I'm pretty sure DCU have the same req - Irish OR English, bless them. IADT, too - and I think all ITs are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Used to be anyone over the age of 11 coming into Irish education system didn't have to do Irish, otherwise there were no exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

i got a c in foundation maths and failed ordinary irish. But i got three honours in business history and english did i pass the leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

i got a c in foundation maths and failed ordinary irish. But i got three honours in business history and english did i pass the leaving.

this thread is 6 years old the guy could have repeated the leaving cert and finished college already!

Advertisement