Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Grand Prix may not happen!

• 19-06-2005 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

50 mins before the start of the grand prix and 9 of the 10 teams are refusing to race unless a chicane is put into the track to slow the cars down. This all comes from dodgy michelin tyres that are causing accidents!

Madness!!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33183

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just watching ITV and any number of things could happen, most likely is that all cars will start but that Michelin runners will leave the race after a few laps....and the result will in effect be null and void. Crazy state of affiars though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Interesting...... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

It's gonna be a weird race, why the hell didn't they put the chicane in? It would've made sense.

Looks like the michelin runners are going in on the 1st lap, for f*ck sake! This is ridiculous.

Snot lookin good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

*Angel* wrote:
    It's gonna be a weird race, why the hell didn't they put the chicane in? It would've made sense.

Probably a safety issue. A diy 20 min built chicane woul'nt be ideal. Imagine the court cases etc if something happened because of a dodgy temporary chicane.

Stekelly wrote:
    Probably a safety issue. A diy 20 min built chicane woul'nt be ideal. Imagine the court cases etc if something happened because of a dodgy temporary chicane.

They knew about this over an hour beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

absolutely ridiculous :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

This is going to be silly... Doesn't look good for Michellin staying in F1 either...

A few things I do not want to see, if this happens;
    champange on the podium
    drivers celebrating
    teams celebrating (I don't think even Minardi would celebrate a win today!)
    a 1 car finish

Why can't they just allow tyre changes? If they impose a minimum of say 5 tyre changes this should negate any performance advantage over bridgestone, or even allow bridgestone to change tyres if they want.

• Advertisement

Why can't they just allow tyre changes? If they impose a minimum of say 5 tyre changes this should negate any performance advantage over bridgestone, or even allow bridgestone to change tyres if they want.
    As Jim Rosenthall said, common sense has not prevailed...

It seems like an obvious solution, but then the bridgestone runners are likely to complain because at the moment they're benefiting from it. It would be highly unlikely that they would change the rules for one race...

Un-fúckin-believable!

7 teams came on at end of parade lap.

Ferrari
    Jordan
    Mindari

The only teams running. FFS!

Omg this is so weird. :eek:

Might actually see a Jordan podium. Surely their last ever.

Just after thinkin... Could a Michelin car go out on the last lap and score some points?

Just after thinkin... Could a Michelin car go out on the last lap and score some points?

They have to complete the 73 laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

ah this is pathetic, listen to the crowds booing. i dont blaim them.

Bernie is the boss, i cant believe he let this happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ecclestone must resign, so must Mosely and Michelin must be kicked out.

It doesn't matter though...... the damage has been permanently done forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

This is totally ridiculous.

Well they are all in the points now I guess.

*Angel* wrote:
    Not quite true. A car can still score points even if it doesn't finish the race, as happened in Monaco, 96 I think it was. That said I just remembered that they have to complete 3/4 race distance so I reckon the answer to my question is no.

I JUST CANT GET OVER THIS. I'm furious, i can see martinB is pi$$ed off aswell when he interview that small git that decided to ignore common sence

*Angel* wrote:
    No they don't. Once the winner has crossed the line, your race is over when you cross the line, even if you're 20 laps down. That said, they couldn't start the race per say, so it still wouldn't be possible.

On a side note to that point: THIS IS BORING!!

Not quite true. A car can still score points even if it doesn't finish the race, as happened in Monaco, 96 I think it was. That said I just remembered that they have to complete 3/4 race distance so I reckon the answer to my question is no.

My bad, I for some reason assumed it had changed since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

After all the fuss over safety after Raikkonen not coming in because of an unsafe tyre at Barcelona (I think) this happens. A tyre manufacture admits their tyre isn't safe, and their not allowed to change them. Michelin offered the FIA solutions to the problem and the FIA said no.

Who do you think will get 3rd?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It is absolute madness! Why is there even a race with only 6 drivers? Pointless.

the most entertaining thing so far is the marchalls coming onto the track to collect things that have been thrown onto the track

• Advertisement

Just heard that the Michelin teams offered to race without scoring points if a chicane was put in place. Blame definately has to lie with the organisers.

I'm not gonna watch it, it's too boring and annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

*Angel* wrote:
    I'm not gonna watch it, it's too boring and annoying.
    Ditto.

Stoddart claims he'd not have put his cars out if Jordan had honoured the agreement not to race. But because they are challenging each other all season, he felt the need to to keep in touch points-wise. But he'd rather not have raced.

If EJ was there Jordan wouldn't be racing today, nor would Mindari, it would be Rubens vs Schu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

Go, Karthikeyan!
    Ridiculous race.
    Can't they just drive a few rounds, change tires, drive a few rounds...?

there has to be some real a$$ kicking after this. Bernie didnt look like a leader at all when he was being interviewed, reminded me of Bush after 911. He said 'i wish i knew what was going on'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Champ cars are on in a while.

sod this rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Another nail in the F1 coffin. :rolleyes:

Another nail in the F1 coffin. :rolleyes:

i wouldnt say that yet, this season has been the best in years but I have to say its the end of the US gp. I'd say Indy circuit will be putting a few law suits in against the FIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

LOL! Ralf Schumacher is knocking the stuffing out of the commentators, great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Haha, I'm loving it. Let's hope this is the beginning of the end for Ecclestone and his lackey Mosley.

• Advertisement

ando wrote:
    i wouldnt say that yet, this season has been the best in years but I have to say its the end of the US gp. I'd say Indy circuit will be putting a few law suits in against the FIA

I didn't mean thats the end of F1.
    How many nails does it take to close the lid on a coffin????
    Just more F1 crap.
    I'm a big F1 fan but you can't ignore the fact thats its not the best form of motorsport. It hasn't been for years.It's just slowly going downhill.
    It's dead in the U.S. now but today will also effect it's worldwide popularity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Not impressed.....

I've switched it off. I cannot believe they could not come to an agreement. This is really $hite.

I've followed the sport for a long time and I'm angry!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

"Restart the race" HA!!! as if...

And now Ferrari put an end to any sort of a race. :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Haven't figures been dropping in Indy anyway. I think I read somewhere that there was talk of brining it to Long Beach or something. Another street circuit...nothing wrong with that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Thats the end of the US GP i'm afraid. And any hopes of a New York street race.

I'm sure Mr Red Bull is pretty pissed off, seeing as promoting his drink in the US was one of the main reasons he bought Jaguar...

Think i'll watch GP2 from now on, it's 100 times more exciting. Guranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

My interest in F1 has been waning for a couple of years now, mostly because it is definitely the most boring type of motor racing going, fecking truck trials beat it (manoeuvre a truck at 7km/h between two sticks with imminent danger of rolling over down a hill on an obstacle course or high speed formation driving?).

I never really liked the idea of a US GP when it was first suggested imagining that the Americans would just have the F1 cars going round a big circle like NASCAR, didn’t happen, but that said the circuit at Indy is hardly one of the most interesting tracks in the season.

About the tires, WTF? How do you make a mistake like that? That fiasco is going to cost one hell of a lot of money. Can Indy sue the teams for compensation? Who will in turn sue Michelin who are going to get a massive amount of bad press over the next few days?

The ‘rear tire deflation’ looks like a blow out to me, why did they choose to use such a fancy term for it, the damage control spin is obviously working away, in all its futility.

Will there be another US GP? It’s entirely possible that there won’t be a market for one.

The problem with the tires was that they would be “unsafe in corner 13 at speeds in excess of ‘x’.”

Whiting, the FIA Race director, said that Michelin needed to tell the teams what speed they could take corner 13 at and that when they slowed down they were not to hold up other cars. So they could have raced? They’re professional drivers, they have speedometers in their cars, could they not be trusted to follow instructions to keep the speed down in a particular corner?

I think they were dead right not to alter the course to make up for some teams mistakes.

All told, I think this is a great victory for me in my battle to convert my friends and family from boring formula one to always exciting motorcycle racing. =]

What a joke…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I feel sorry for the people who spent so much money to go and see the race. One guy told ITV he spent 2months wages on the weekend. I dont understand why the race couldnt have been posponed untill 2moro or untill later this evening. Yanks are used to waiting around for ovals to dry out. They did it with the grand national in England when a bomb scare caused the race to be posponed I think was a week or a day.
    I think its a victory for burocracey. The people to blame are the sponcers and organisations involved. Formula 1 has become so wrapped up in money that it is totaly unflexable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Dose anyone else feel as though if Eddy were there he would have put a deal together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Dose anyone else feel as though if Eddy were there he would have put a deal together?
    eddy was a an owner of a sinking ship who still cashed out and made hundreds of millions. jordon was always a joke of a team, but eddy always worked the media to his advantage and made a packet out of it. he is not/ was not a savior for anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement