Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inspiron 6000, HDD clicking.

• 19-06-2005 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Right so when i got my inspiron 6000, i noticed that the hdd was clicking but this was when i was using it in a quiet area, so i didnt think much of it and moved along.
    Its only when i decided to update a few drivers on the dell website that i descovered that there had been an update to resolve this clicking noise.

So i decided to download the ISO image to resolve this issue, but the confusing part is that when the prog. runs from the cd at system boot up it does this thing to put the HDD in quiet mode, great but this is'nt the instructions that it gives on the website. The download is more like the the quiet or preformance setting programme that can be downloaded aswell.

Either way the patch has'nt solved the clicking noise, so im wondering if any other 6000 owners have had the same problem and have they resolved it by using this patch or is there some other patch available?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is an issue with both the 9300 and 6600.. There is nothing wrong with it..

Check www.notebookforums.com and check the Dell forums for "clicking"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

This is an issue with both the 9300 and 6600.. There is nothing wrong with it..

Check www.notebookforums.com and check the Dell forums for "clicking"...

Yeah i looked into it further, my HDD is a traverstar drive by hitatchi, while on the dell update page it gives a patch for the western digital scorpio, so i decided to check for updates for a 9100 and the exact drive id as mine came up as a patch, saying the same thing, repairs the intermitent clicking, so i downloaded this patch and burned it to a bootable cd and booted it, up came the drive health programme, which said i dont need the update.

But needless to say, its still clicking, so i suppose ill have to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I also have the same thing on my 9100 - I guess it figures based on that there's an update for it and all.

I just ignore it - I tend to have the TV/Music on all the time when at the lappy so it really doesn't annoy me much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Have to say Sparky_S, never noticed the clicking sound when i had the laptop. But the strange thing is, it started happening on the new 6000 I got after I updated the sound card drivers for some strange reason from the dell website. When I rolled back the drivers, problem disappeared. Maybe that helps??

talla wrote:
    Have to say Sparky_S, never noticed the clicking sound when i had the laptop. But the strange thing is, it started happening on the new 6000 I got after I updated the sound card drivers for some strange reason from the dell website. When I rolled back the drivers, problem disappeared. Maybe that helps??

Yeah im gonna try that because i updated all the drivers with the latest ones, but now that you mentioned it i didnt notice the sound before the updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

clicking, other than thermal recalibration can be bad.

Run this for peace of mind:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

clicking, other than thermal recalibration can be bad.

Run this for peace of mind:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
    Yeah i ran that aswell and it said its ok

Advertisement