Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect for small extension

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi MorningStar,

I agree with a lot of what you posted, Architects and Engineers should be able to give fixed price products, the percentage of the project basis has always confused me, perhaps that is where the Profession could help itself, a fixed cost based on the work involved.

There was a time when the Architect was fully in control of the job almost as if he / she were the client, the trust appears to have evaporated out of the service because the public appear to have the question in the back of their mind, "Why wasn't the cheapest quote accepted ?"

The percentage basis of their employment comes under question when by and large they are acting in the client's interest based on experience and professionalism.

I have seen many people who have had there roofs opened up only to have a contractor arrive in and start playing the "Extras" game, of course they can't argue when the roof is off their building (not just home owners).

The very same with extensions, attic conversions, drive ways, garden walls, plumbing, heating.................. the list could go on all night.

There can be change of work orders and unforseen items that are usually covered by Provisional Sums, then you can hit dry rot that should be every property owners nightmare, I can assure it is mine because the customer is inclined towards the "Rip Off" mentallity even with the most honest contractor.

The Survey Fee was not my idea ;) it was a customer who offered a fee for an honest report that he could rely on, that was pre 1980 when the Celtic Tiger was but a glint in his Grand Fathers eye :)

As for the tax issue well we see the "Nixer" concept throughout some posts, the public will get the service they pay for, if not today they pay tomorrow.

In cases where there are disputes between a consumer and supplier of goods and services I actually disqualify myself from carrying out the works the reason being, no conflict of interest the customer has a survey they can take to court if they need to.

I am not seeking a nomination for Sainthood, I am behind schedule, I do make mistakes and I am still trying to figure out what these are "sinclair zx 81, Vic 20" :D

What did this thread start out as ? apologies for going so many miles off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Sorry for confusion guys
    Architect's brief is for drawings only... needed to get planning permission. Other wise I would not have bothered. He'll have no contact with builder if / when i get one.
    I thought it was a little on the dear side...but going through the front door and you paying percentage. The problem I have with this is that it is not based on the actual cost but what architect says it should cost. On the phone they were quoting telephone numbers...€ K4, € K5, again just for plans. I rang many companies from list I got from their assopsiation in ballsbridge.
    The other reason for getting this guy is ..I could get no one else, As previously stated I had 1/2 out and they all ran away after holding me on a string for months on end. More than 2 years trying to get plans...That's crazy.
    Another problem now is the short list of builders I had will, I suppose, have evaporated by now. And if the experts on telly are right everything will go up 10% to 15% next year when SSIA mature. I'll probably have no choice but to self /direct build.
    Planning permission is needed because of remaining back yard size, unless relaxed planning is very recent
    As regard ROOKAD, I know ...I got it first time....But ye could sell tickets....Best entertainment in years....Do keep it up..It lifts the cloud of depression that sometimes falls on threads like these.
    RooferPete....there's a wee bit of auld Terry trying to get out
    Best Regards guys
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

tapest wrote:
    Sorry for confusion guys
    Architect's brief is for drawings only... needed to get planning permission.

I am really seriously thinking about doing drawings part time now. Of course the the Autocad licence is pretty expensive which I would have to pay. If it's just for planing they aren't even that detailed.

I agree the SSIAs are going to shoot up the prices. I think it will happen before they mature as people realise this.

Advertisement