Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doping in cycling.

Options
  • 19-06-2005 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

what do you guys think of the use of doping in modern cycling? how widespread is the problem, do you think the big riders use and what's your opinion on the solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

lili wrote:
    what do you guys think of the use of doping in modern cycling? how widespread is the problem, do you think the big riders use and what's your opinion on the solutions?

Hmm, don't know much about the road scene, but in MTB you don't win without it (or even place).

Of course, I can't stand over that statement in public :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

There has been evidence of drug usage for many years.

But proving it is difficult.

The difficulty I have I that I am a very average cyclist. Average speed on the road is now up to over 18mph. If I were to attempt to compete, I cannot take certain drug for specific conditions.

I have Haemochromatosis. Very High Iron Count genitic disorder. I have a phenominal recovery rate because of this. It also has side affects

see www.haemochromatosis-ir.ie

Thats beside the point. The condition is performance enhancing. What's more, nearly one in 40 Irish have and they do not know about it.

I do not agree with high tech drug use in the pro's. But i would not accept that I cannot take a paracetemol as a amateur.

Read Lance armstrongs book 'Its not about this bike'. Interesting from adrug point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Never mind the Lance Armstrong book. The definitive is the Paul Kimmage one. Get it, read it.

The only ones that might not be doped are the very young and the very slow.

I admire Armstrong for his recovery from cancer, but do not believe he is any cleaner than, say, Cipollini was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

me either, i'm not sure that the top of basket are so clean. average of 40km/h in the mont ventoux seems to me very strange. even the festina team which was archi-doped in 98 didn't reach a such chrono.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It reminds me of some old quotes from the Tour

Questioned about the role of amphetamines in cycling and whether he had used amphetamines, Fausto Coppi (Tour winner 1949 and 1953) replied "Only when necessary." Asked how often that was, Coppi replied "Almost all the time."

Go back to the 1924 Tour and remember the words of Henri Pelissier: "Do you want to see how we keep going? That's cocaine to go in our eyes. Chloroform for our gums. This is ointment to warm the knees. And pills, do you want to see the pills?" His brother, Francis, added: "We keep going on dynamite. In the evenings we dance around our rooms instead of sleeping."

• Advertisement
Advertisement