Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why is Windows update so..painful?

• 19-06-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

With registrations, validations and all that, assuming it even loads! I've had it hang utterly six times on "finding new update", despite all the relevant components installed into IE and permitted by my firewall.

I can understand that Microsoft want to now crack down on piracy, but the loops they force users to seemingly jump through (and this is a legitimate OEM version installed on its original machine) only hurts themselves, as more unpatched machines means more zombies. You have to compare this to software updates in other OS':

Apple OSX: Click the "Software Update" button, drink a coffee.
    Fedora Linux: "yum -y upgrade" as root, drink a few coffees.
    Gentoo Linux: "emerge -Ud world", leave it overnight.

And so on.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭irishgeo

One word active x and they way IE intergrates into the operating system.Thats 90% of all the updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Tis abit fiddly alright but I dont think I encountered the problems your getting and im on 56K! They could simplify it though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fenster you forgot apt-get , but yeah it's a one liner in most other OS's

Allowing SUS to run on a Workstation or an NT server would have been a help.

At present to update multiple machines you HAVE TO connect your server to the internet or BUY a third party app or DEVELOP a patching scheme yourself and that's a real pain or download an untrusted Patch kit that someone else did.

Spent an hour today rebooting servers one at a time, mostly for stuff like IE and media player .NET and other uninstallable ##### that has no business whatsoever being on a server. And servers should have no reason to connect to the internet unless they are webservers in a DMZ.

It's like living in Dublins urban sprawl, there are no local shops because everyone has a car. Everyone needs a car because there are no amenities in walking distance. You have to keep windows connected to the internet to patch it, to protect it from the internet /RANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Aye, Apt as well. I only used it in Fedora though, where it was pretty hit and miss-I've a short rant up on the Linux board. I never used Ubuntu much, or Debian at all, so I can't really comment on it for those distros, although I imagine its along the lines of "apt-get -y upgrade" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's actually amazingly good, when you consider what it was like pre win2k... But compared to any other modern operating system, yeah, not so good. And is still makes you ****ing reboot...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rsynnott wrote:
    And is still makes you ****ing reboot...
    If all goes well you only have to reboot just once :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I recall having to reboot four times in a row once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, that's not good enough, I'm afraid. The only reason you should be required to reboot is if changes are made to the kernel (not to kernel modules, to the kernel itself).

And it badgers you to reboot every few minutes if you tell it not to.

rsynnott wrote:
    The only reason you should be required to reboot is if changes are made to the kernel (not to kernel modules, to the kernel itself)..
    That just proves that Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and Fonts and DirectX and .NET just about everything except some sections of Office are part of the Kernel :rolleyes:

Microsoft have advertised five 9's reliability 99.999% uptime in the past.
    That translates into 315.36 seconds of downtime a year. Some servers take this long to reboot, from the time the shared services have stopped to the time they are usable again. At present it takes about an hour to reboot our servers after patching, part of this is because you don't want more than one machine down at a time, part is because some services are dependent on up to three servers running together. So just to keep patches up to date drops availability to 99.9%

Yes I know the advertised 99.999% is on got having a cluster BUT Netware and VMS used to do this 15 years ago (and the Dutch police still have 0 downtime on their VMS cluster).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What I really don't like about it is that it doesn't give you the option of going more than one node down an update tree. For example, If you install .NET 1.1 and run Win Update, the only update you will see is SP1 for .NET 1.1. Download and install, and run Win Update again, and you'll see that there is a further patch for the Service Pack. Why not give the option of downloading the entire update tree at the time, and install them sequentially?

Hope its fixed by Longhorn (circa the year 3000).

• Advertisement
Advertisement