Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ummm don't really know what to call this thread....new player needs help I suppose...

Options
  • 20-06-2005 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

right I'm heading out to the shops later to buy this game...could someone please give me the low down on it?

horde/alliance? what are most people?

char classes? whats most & lease common? advantages of each?

now I've had a read through of a couple of bits in the links thread but I don't really understand any of what they're talking about in the characters....

Nic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Get stuck in once you get the game. You'll pick it up pretty quickly. Choose your character depending on what role you think you'd like.

Me I'm an undead priest. I find it very very easy to get instance groups because everybody needs a priest. They're a support class but an important one at that. It was slow levelling up for the first 40 levels or slow but once you hit 40, the spells available to you in the shadow spec really improves you. Kickass in pvp as shadow spec in end-game but not as useful in end-game instances as holy spec. Holy spec in pvp is kind of useless imo.

I also have a lvl 30 troll rogue alt, which I found to be a lot quicker, easier and more fun to level up but I'm not sure whether this was to do with the class differences or the knowledge of the game I'd already learned from my priest.

Have a look here

Also you can have a few different characters, so you can try out a few to say level 10 or whatever and have an idea of their role in the game and you'll find one for you.

Excellent game that has had me cut off from a lot of the things I used to be doing. Very addictive but excellent all the same. My subscription is up in a week or so, and I'm not renewing it but it's the best game that I've ever played. Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Be a Warrior, Warlock or Druid.

Warlocks & Druids are in huge demand for high-end content and Warriors just wtfown everyone in PvP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Have a read through the manual and see which type of class sounds like the most and pick that as your first one. There's a lot of us in a Horde guild on the Bladefist server so that might be a good place to have a horde character as you'll get a good bit of help and advice from the guild.

At the start it'll feel like a (pretty great) single player game as you'll be doing a lot of stuff on your own the team play kinda bleeds in gradually with each level. It's likely you'll love it from word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

ok thanks to both of you :)

and what about the alliance / horde thing?

oh and what server are people from here on?

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

A lot of people from here play on Bladefist most of us are on the Horde side but there's a few on alliance too (dunno how many). A lot of the Horde people have made a guild now called Metamorphosis. Which you'd be automatically able to join cos you're a boardsie. :)

Horde and Alliance are enemies and you won't be able to interact with a member of the other faction in anyway other than to smack them. Picking which faction to join will affect what races you can be (Horde: Orc, Tauren, Trolls, Undead Alliance: Elves, Humans, Gnomes, Dwarfs), also you'll have different capital cites, different home locations and you'll play the first few levels of the game in different locations. Most of the game takes place in shared loactions where you'll sometimes have the same sort of stuff to do and will be killing each other silly. Also only Horde people can be Shamans and only Alliance people can be Paladins. Apart from that all the classes are shared though the type of race you are will give you some different advantages and stuff.

Phew and thats only scratching the surface. This game is fúcking vast. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Whether you play horde or alliance is up to you really. Play Horde myself as I didn't like the idea of being a goodie two shoes alliance character.

They is a mostly irish Horde guild in Bladefist called Metamorphosis. We've 50 or so players so if you need advice/help they'll be no shortage of that. And we're a pretty informal bunch to boot.

There is also a mostly irish alliance guild called Dudes on Bladefist too. Don't know what their current numbers are.

As for the classes you can play as, well not every class is available to each race so that may help you decide what you want to do

Warrior - your classic tank character. best armour and hit points. Won't have trouble finding teams in game as most elite/instance missions need a warrior. Okay for soloing with and a decent pvp character.

Hunter - best ranged attacker in the game but absolutely useless at melee. Hunters are a great class to go solo with as they also get a pet to do the melee work for them. Having a pet is why a lot of people choose hunter. Hunter is not great at 1 on 1 pvp but rocks in mass pvp such as battlegrounds.

Druid - one of the most fun classes to play as. A jack of all trades shapeshifter. Can tank like a warrior in Bear form, stealth like a rogue in Cat form, heal like a priest in humanoid form. None as these forms is as effective as actually being a warrior/priest etc but Druid is a formidable opponent. Because of such versatility Druids have no problems getting into teams and are a great pvp class. Absolutley rock in "capture the flag" battlegrounds because of their travel form.

Rogue - Rogues are the best one on one pvp character. saying that everybody that doesn't play as a rogue, hates them. Feel like running around stealthed causing mayhem? Rogue is the class for you then. A good solo class and has the highest damage of any character but has poor armour.

Priest - Priests are the most in demand class in the game as every team/party needs a healer. You'll never have trouble getting somebody to help you if you're a priest. first 20 lvls or so are tough but after that you're flying. Priest may sound namby pamby but is a class pvp character in the later stages of the game.

Warlock - Also get to have "pets" like a hunter. Where as hunter's pets are beasts like bears/tigers/croc, Warlocks summon demons and minions. Another excellent solo class. Warlocks are one of the class you don't have to pay for their mount when they hit lvl 40. Of yeah when you hit lvl 40 it costs 90 gold pieces to get a mount which for most players is tough to do. So if you want to sidestep this go warlock.

Mage - Mage is the best magic damage dealer. another great class to play as. Can solo very well and the mage is the master of mass pvp combat. Can teleport to the major cities in the game which is always a plus. Like hunter, Mage excells in battlegrounds. Mages are always a very good class to get for teams/parties for their good damage and abilities for crowd control.

Shaman - Horde only character and probably the class thats most feared by alliance. Strong melee with okay healing. One of the easier class to play as. Has ghost wolf form for travelling about til lvl 40 and Shamans are the uber class in capture the flag Battlegrounds. one of the best one on one pvp classes.

Paladin - Alliance only character. Like a warlock get a free mount when they hit lvl 40 and Pala's have trememdous survivability due to invunerability and healing and thus are pretty good for soloing. However a crap mass pvp class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I'm not sure if the Alliance guild is called Dudes anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

if u dont feel like a pvp server theres a load of us on a pve server as well (bout 60 or something tho not all irish ;) ). Hode on draenor.

Either way hope ya enjoy the game :)

Advertisement