Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone €100 off - have I been ripped off?

Options
  • 20-06-2005 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I saw adverts Vodafone have out at the moment stating "€100 off 3G phones when you trade in your old mobile". Am interested in the Motorola V980 (stated price €149 on ready to go).

I went into one of the two Vodafone stores in my town, did the necessary, and when they handed me the credit card slip to sign, it says €161!
    I queried this and they said "€12 to port your number to vodafone, and the phone is normally €249 so with your €100 off this comes to €161".

I decided to get it anyway....but today one of the girls I work with told me she bought the exact same phone on RTG from the Vodafone shop on Henry st, for €149 WITHOUT trading in any phone!

Have I been ripped off here? I'm trying to contact the vodafone shop but it's ringing engaged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Was your number with vodafone to begin with? These 3G phones only work on Vodafone. Thats why you were charged €12 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vodafone Stores?? As in a Vodafone agent like Carphone Warehouse or an actuall Vodafone Retail Store?

Also:

http://www.vodafone.ie/phonestariffs/ourphones/phonedetails.jsp;jsessionid=www.vodafone.ie-4e0ad%3A42b69171%3Afa1949e55953c5b7?mysterons=MV980_black&type=all

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eth0_ wrote:
    for €149 WITHOUT trading in any phone!

You dont actually have to trade in a phone. If you buy it online theres no way to trade it i. I think its just an effort to get people to recycle old phones ratehr than leave them lying around. They chuck them in the in-store recycle bins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Bond-007 wrote:
    Was your number with vodafone to begin with? These 3G phones only work on Vodafone. Thats why you were charged €12 extra.

I don't think you understood my post.
    I don't have a problem with the porting fee, it's the fact they advertise that you save 100 euro if you trade in your phone, when, in fact, you don't.

I was told by the girl who sold it to me that "The phone is actually €249 on ready to go". It's not. It's not advertised at €249 anywhere.

I could have sold the phone I traded in for a hundred quid, that's why i'm so pissed off about it.

Stekelly wrote:
    You dont actually have to trade in a phone. If you buy it online theres no way to trade it i. I think its just an effort to get people to recycle old phones ratehr than leave them lying around. They chuck them in the in-store recycle bins anyway.

So why tell people you get €100 off if you trade in your phone? It's clearly a lie, as the sell it for the same price whether you trade in a phone or not!

I've made a complaint to the ASAI and to Vodafone, will see what happens.

• Advertisement

Vodafone Stores?? As in a Vodafone agent like Carphone Warehouse or an actuall Vodafone Retail Store?

A Vodafone retail store.

That's a contract phone. Your point is?

I went into an independant shop and got a Nokia 6630 for €199. There was no mention of a trade in, nor did I offer up an old phone. Just in case I had a non working motorolla circa 1997 ready to hand over.

The whole trade in offer is a scam.

Bond-007 wrote:
    I went into an independant shop and got a Nokia 6630 for €199. There was no mention of a trade in, nor did I offer up an old phone. Just in case I had a non working motorolla circa 1997 ready to hand over.

The whole trade in offer is a scam.

Exactly. I'm sure the ASAI will uphold my complaint, I can't see how they can't, it's plain as day that they're ripping people off just to get them on their 3G network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

as i see it, you got your phone under the deal that they had posted - which was 149+trade in - correct?

the fact that some one else got a different (better) deal doesn't change this does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

when u buy a phone with the port you should not have to pay €12 for the porting pack. you have been done!!

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote:
    as i see it, you got your phone under the deal that they had posted - which was 149+trade in - correct?

the fact that some one else got a different (better) deal doesn't change this does it?

No.

Read what I posted again.

The phone is €149 on Ready to go.

THEN there is a €100 euro off any 3G phone offer.

So the phone should be €49.

The fact is that VF are wrong as they never offered the phone at €249 on Ready to go. For discounts the the item must be sold at the higher price for 30 straight days in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

the list price on the vodafone website is €249 before €100 discount. I dont see how you expected to get a 3G phone for €49... As far as I was aware when you buy a sim for €12 you get €12 worth of credit on your account. This could have changed since my last experience with it however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

From looking at the vodafone.ie site it seems the V980 has a RRP of €249.
    The offer is to get the phone for €149 with the trade in, which is €100 off the retail price. Apart from the girl in the shop getting mixed up, I don't see what Vodafone have done to warrant a complaint.
    On the contrary, Vodafone are offering a good introductory price for 3G phones and will recycle your old phone into the bargain.
    A cynic might see it as Vodafone's way of getting old phones (that might otherwise be sold on) off the market, but in my opinion it's a fair deal all round.

The fact is that you can get the new phones for the discounted price without trade in, which suggests the phones were never sold for €249 in the first place.

Why is it in VF's interest to get old phones off the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Call the shop you bought it in, ask for the manager and explain it to him and demand an explaination.

I recon its cos its a RTG phone the trade in's etc are usually non existant with those phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Bond-007 wrote:
    The fact is that you can get the new phones for the discounted price without trade in, which suggests the phones were never sold for €249 in the first place.

Yes, well they mightn't have been sold for €249 but Vodafone only quote €249 as the RRP not the price they charged at some time in the past. The €100 saving, is just a saving off the RRP.

Bond-007 wrote:

I think a lot of people would be willing to buy an old working 3310 for a tenner off their mate who would as soon throw it in the bin, rather than buy a new phone from Vodafone.
    There's also the "keep up with the Jones's" factor. Some people might feel their old brick is inadequate when they see all their mates with shiny new V980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

just looked at the site sorry.

Price: €149.00
    RRP: €249.00
    Savings: €100.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i bought a 6680 and they didnot even ask for a trade in of a fone.
    they did rip u off. keep at them and get ur money back.they are scammers

It might say RRP 249 on the website, but it doesn't say that in the shop.

I'm awaiting feedback from Vodafone on my complaint.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:

It might not be in VF's best interest but its in the best interest of the environment that the phones are recycled rather than dumped.

Only 1 of 3 things can come of complaining.

1) vodafone will stop selling them for €149 altogether.

2) they will enforce the requirment to hand in a old phone

3) they will continue selling them at €149 with no mention of a trade in.

At the end of the day its best for people to recycle and this is encouraging them to do so. The fact that old phones are not being demanded at point of sale is most likely down to staff laziness as there is no way of vodafone checking seeing as the phones are just chucked in the recycle bins that were already in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My email with Vodafone over this:
    the email wrote:
    Dear Ciaran

Thank you for contacting us with your query.

The full cost of a Nokia 6630 is €299. You can make the saving of
    €100 and trade in your old handset. Your old handset can be any
    phone. The price of the handset will then be €199. This includes
    the saving of €100 and trading in your old phone. If you purchase
    the handset online you can call into any Vodafone agent with your old
    handset.

If you have any further queries, please call us on CallSave 1850 20
    87 87 between 08:00hrs to 22:00hrs and we will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

For information on self service options and on Vodafone's Products
    and Services visit our website at http://www.vodafone.ie

Original Message
    Sent: 19/06/2005 21:15:36
    To: care@vodafone.ie
    Subject: Other: Online Store

Hi

I'm just looking at your online store.

The Nokia 6630 3G RTG is listed as E199. It mentions a saving of E100
    from the usual price of E299.

At the top of the page there is mention of a E100 trade-in for old
    phones. This trade-in value is on top of the E199 and so the 6630
    with trade-in would cost E99 ?

As for the trade-in itself. It says any mobile - does this really
    mean ANY mobile at all? i.e. a Nokia 5110 or Siemens C25 would be
    allowed?

Thanks
    - Ciaran

******************************************************************************

The content of this e-mail may be confidential or legally
    privileged. If you are not the named addressee or the intended
    recipient please do not copy it or forward it to anyone. If you have
    received this email in error please destroy it and kindly notify the
    sender and postmaster.ie@vodafone.com. Email cannot be
    guaranteed to be secure or error-free, it is your responsibility
    to ensure that the message (including attachments) is safe
    and authorised for use in your environment.
    Vodafone Ireland Limited. Directors: Paul Donovan - Chairman (UK),
    Teresa Elder - Chief Executive (US), Edward Langston (UK), Pauline Best (UK), Patrick Teahon, Gerrard Fahy, Alfred Kane, David Boorman (UK),
    Registered in Ireland at MountainView, Leopardstown, Dublin 18.
    Co Reg No.: 326967 VAT Reg No. IE6346967G

******************************************************************************

__________ NOD32 1.1145 (20050618) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.eset.com

They make out that you can save E100 buying online and E100 trading in. Complete bs.

Are Vodafone complete idiots? The whole notion of a 'trade in' means you SAVE money by part exchanging something!

This isn't a 'trade in'!

eth0_ wrote:
    Are Vodafone complete idiots? The whole notion of a 'trade in' means you SAVE money by part exchanging something!

This isn't a 'trade in'!

Well if they stop the offer all the prices will rise by €100. I'm happy the way it is thanks.

Plus I think everyone here is clever enough to know what the offer is about, people are complaining for the sake of it now. I had no problem working it out, and was happy not have to pay the €100, whatever way they worded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

drdre wrote:
    i bought a 6680 and they didnot even ask for a trade in of a fone.
    they did rip u off. keep at them and get ur money back.they are scammers

Rip Off you say... How much did you pay for that 6680?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

i got nokia 6630 for 199 euros
    with 80 euros credit
    no phone given to them :)

i dont think its a bad deal

i will be more than happy if i can unlock it
    coz one of me friends have settings for o2 where u can browse free gprs :)

Original Message
    Sent: 21/06/2005 03:18:40
    To: readytogo@vodafone.ie
    Subject: Re: Other: Online Store

Hi

THe discount is already stated as E100 online though. Are you saying
    that the E100 is unrelated to "trading in" your old phone ?

- Ciaran
    Dear Ciaran

Thank you for contacting us with your query.

When you purchase the nokia 6630 you pay &#128;199 instead of &#128;299 as you
    are saving &#128;100. You do not obtain a further &#128;100 discount when you
    trade in your handset in the agents.

If you have any further queries, please call us on CallSave 1850 20
    87 87 between 08:00hrs to 22:00hrs and we will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

This has to be the most misleading advertising ever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ciaranfo wrote:
    This has to be the most misleading advertising ever :(

Get on to Advertising standard agency ! 01 804 9600 lodge a complaint

• Advertisement

Power city used to do the same years ago. They offered a discount if you traded in your old tv. I never complained when they didnt ask me for my old tv as I meant I had an extra one to stick in another room.

Advertisement