Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Change folder permissions, leaving files as were ?

• 20-06-2005 11:45am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I could probably use FOR /F to walk through directories one at a time.
    Then something like
    CACLS folder /E /G group:W
    CACLS folder /E /G CreaterOwner:C
    CACLS folder\*.* /E /G group:C
    To Prevent users from Moving/Deleting folders but allowing them to EDIT the files in the folder.

There has got to be a simplier way of doing this - as I can see lots of problems eg: folder names being included in *.* , having to reapply permissions everyday because new folders get added all the time.

Anyone know a way where I can allow users to edit all files in all folders but only allow the CreatorOwner to move/rename/delete the folders they created ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

are you using xp? if yes then just set up a workgroup and give it the permissions you want.... use attrib from cmd prompt to set up the folder attributes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

7aken wrote:
    are you using xp? if yes then just set up a workgroup and give it the permissions you want.... use attrib from cmd prompt to set up the folder attributes.
    :confused:

It's NTFS file and folder permissions that I'm looking to modify.
    Not attributes, nor file share permissions.

:confused:

It's NTFS file and folder permissions that I'm looking to modify.
    Not attributes, nor file share permissions.

attributes are file/folder permissions
    i dont think setting permissions to read,write will let a person delete the file. that option would surely come with the modify attribute..... post if you figure it out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

7aken wrote:
    attributes are file/folder permissions
    To delete file regardless of their attrib values ;)

Deltree /Y /S *.* (Dos6/win 9X)
    Del /Q /S /F *.* (Nt/2k/Xp)

Xcalcs.exe and even the vbs xcalcx scripts can cause problems with inherited permissions :(

hi again capt'n midnight,
    i've been thinking more about it and its starting to vex me. had this thought though. encrypting the files wont work cos if you do use efs, you lose ntfs permissions meaning no-one has access. so thats out of the question

if however, your sharing accross a network, you get a new set of permissions (network permissions), this might give you the option you need via setting the network permissions to full access, then controlling the access with the ntfs permissions.

dont know if this would work...... just a thought

also, have you tried using a group policy object? it may give you the options you need. i've used it briefly to lock down a kiosk and i know that theres over 600 different settings in there.... if its installed on your pc it'll be under 'local computer console' in your mmc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement