Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If mods break the rules, how are they punished?

Options
  • 20-06-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, if a mod is acting the twat, who or where shoud it be reported?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the circumstances. If it's a mod outside of a board that's not his own, report him as you would any other user.
    If it's a mod on his own board, PM an admin, or bring it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

best keep quiet about it.
    if you hit report post on a mods post it instantly alerts the gestapo that your an ingrateful commie,
    theyll then whisk you and your post count away, never to be seen again.

that or nothing seems to get done about it ;)
    reported mods a few times for various things,
    nothing ever done,
    also get worried that if i reported seamus , for example, for something dodgy, the tother mod would simply tell seamus via pm, and next time in outta line in ah, not gonn a happen ;), id be perma-banned.

Chalk wrote:
    that or nothing seems to get done about it ;)
    reported mods a few times for various things,
    nothing ever done,
    also get worried that if i reported seamus , for example, for something dodgy, the tother mod would simply tell seamus via pm, and next time in outta line in ah, not gonn a happen ;), id be perma-banned.
    We don't bite. And mods don't use personal grudges as banning reasons (or at least they'll be smacked very hard if they do) :). I see a few post reports a day that I don't act upon - either because I don't believe the complaint is that valid, or it's not in my domain. I do read each one though.

Sometimes I PM people about it, sometimes I don't, depends on the report. If there's something you really feel should be dealt with, follow the usual procedure - PM the mod of the board, if they don't reply after a couple of days, or you don't agree with their judgement, escalate it to feedback.

(Why does it seem like I'm the only one replying today? :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Ah, i thought that mods are special in some way, and needed to be reported using a different method. I dont like telling tales but I have been verbally abused through a pm from a random mod. Its nothing harsh, but I dont even know this person. And i dont take kindly to random abuse from random people. Should I report it or spill the beans in here?

Don't delete the PM and report it to the Admins through the Help Desk. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As seamus says report it to the admins via the Help Desk. Sending abuse via PM's is taken very seriously and is normally dealt with harsely !!!

Ive just reported that now. Again, I hate telling tales, but I think it needs to be addressed. Funny how all these things happen in the one week, with the ban from games and all that jazz. :p Jeez, that thread got some hammering, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

a witch hunt : excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

All moderators are normal users on any other board, and can be banned by other moderators from their boards. With the exception of SMods and CMods. I say this, because it's not possible for a normal mod to ban these privileged mods.

At the same time, there should be no call to ban SMods and CMods as these mods should have more cop on than the average. Some exceptions, naturally, exist.

The person in question is a Hosted Mod, just so ye know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah well, they're not real mods anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The way I look at it, the people who own and run this site are the real mods. The rest are those kids that were told to keep an eye on the rest of the class while the teacher went next door for a minute (and write the names of the naughty on the board)...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The admins are the principal. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Loobz wrote:
    The person in question is a Hosted Mod, just so ye know.
    Hosted Mods (such as myself) are just mods of boards that are hosted on boards as a favour and aren't really connected to boards that much...

HMods are just normal users on all the other boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I always wondered what would happen in the unlikely event that an admin broke the rules or acted the muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

OFDM wrote:
    I always wondered what would happen in the unlikely event that an admin broke the rules or acted the muppet.

The admins make the rules...they can do as they want....

They are the LAW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We pour whiskey on them and set them alight.

RuggieBear wrote:
    The admins make the rules...they can do as they want....

They are the LAW :)

We all know gravity is the law. They are inferior in so many ways to the might that is gravity :p

Loobz wrote:
    We all know gravity is the law. They are inferior in so many ways to the might that is gravity :p
    lol
    i must bow to your greater knowledge....

altho i believe there are reports of supermods walking on water.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*sniffs*

I got banned from PI....

By a mod I co-mod another forum with!!

Bah humbug! The elite just don't get the special treatment they deserve these days!!

The sex is so much better as a mod tho. Women just dig authority or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

but how does that make the sex better?
    or is it a mod bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nesf wrote:
    *sniffs*

I got banned from PI....

By a mod I co-mod another forum with!!

Bah humbug! The elite just don't get the special treatment they deserve these days!!

The sex is so much better as a mod tho. Women just dig authority or something.

i have to be cruel to be kind nesf, you know that :)

besides, id have every whinging moany loser crying on here that i wasnt treating everyone the same.
    when in fact, i do.
    hell, i made you a mods of the work forum only a few weeks ago, and already i have to ban you on PI.

you have brought shame on my family and my house.

i have no daughter!

on a lighter note, i see fade2black is still whinging on every thread on here about the inequality of life.

it must be a post count thing.
    i see no other reason for it.
    blah blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

To be quite honest there are ALOT of mods who simply are on an egotistical power trip on this website. I've had 2 arguments with 2 different mods last week where I was close to being banned for absolutely nothing. The process of selecting mods and which forums they are moderating needs to be urgently looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Wah Wah Wah.

We get banned from forums we don't mod if we break the rules, we just don't break the rules as much. On our own forums we're hardly gonna ban ourselves (though it's been tried), but the higher-up people (cat mods, smods, admins) will still ban us if we step out of line.

I wasn't whinging and I didn't want it to sound like I was -

I was banned from a forum I regularly post on for calling someone a prick. That's fair enough, I accepted it. I asked a legitimate question on feedback regarding a quicker way to reply to messages with quotes and italics etc and the response was to be called a lazy bastard and then the thread was ultimately locked. Now I know, like you calling the general a c unt yesterday, the person who called me a bastard won't be banned. Boards.ie is a dictatorship, i've learned the hard way and it's fine. You are free to do your bla bla bla thing to this, or whatever else it is that makes you feel special on here.

fade2black wrote:
    I wasn't whinging and I didn't want it to sound like I was -

I was banned from a forum I regularly post on for calling someone a prick. That's fair enough, I accepted it. I asked a legitimate question on feedback regarding a quicker way to reply to messages with quotes and italics etc and the response was to be called a lazy bastard and then the thread was ultimately locked. Now I know, like you calling the general a c unt yesterday, the person who called me a bastard won't be banned. Boards.ie is a dictatorship, i've learned the hard way and it's fine. You are free to do your bla bla bla thing to this, or whatever else it is that makes you feel special on here.

tbh, there was absolutely no malice meant by calling you a lazy bastard....i'd have called you a lazy fucker but agin not meaning to insult you but just a friendly swipe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm trying to think of a way of congratulating fade2black without appearing arrogant or patronising. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

Look guys, Im not a moaner or anything like it and I apologise if that's how I come across...if Karl had stuck in a wink or something like that I would have laughed about it and maybe accepted that my idea was a poor one but I mean it just came across like a pretty ignorant reply...it doesn't matter I don't want to keep dragging this on.

D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

calling someone a prick is an offensive personal insult,saying you are a lazy bastard
    means you do not do much exercise and prefer not to do menial tasks and that,in his opinion,your parent are not married. this is not abuse.;)

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Look guys, Im not a moaner or anything like it and I apologise if that's how I come across...if Karl had stuck in a wink or something like that I would have laughed about it and maybe accepted that my idea was a poor one but I mean it just came across like a pretty ignorant reply...it doesn't matter I don't want to keep dragging this on.

D
    sometimes ya don't need the wink to see humour,his sentance was clearly not malicious,he did not say something like well better not say that but nevertheless not malicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement