Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WireLess + standard dialup

Options
  • 20-06-2005 12:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

We are building a new house and I was orginally going to run CAT5 to each room and put a patch panel upstairs and connect it to a PC.

I talked to a few people and they said I may be better and cheaper going with a wirless network.
    What do you think?

Also if I go wireless, we don't yet have BB in the area so I will be using a standard dialup, can I still connect my standard dialup into a wireless router and share the internet this way?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you have the chance to cable the house, do it. Wired will always be more reliable and more secure than wireless, and you can always add wireless later if you need it. I'd love to have structured cabling around my place, but it's just too much hassle once a house is finished.

There used to be (maybe still are) some wireless routers with 56k modems built - Buffalo and/or Apple, AFAIR. Alternatively, you could put your own together with a modem, a wifi card, and an old PC.

Advertisement