Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics !!!! (H)

Options
  • 20-06-2005 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Really really easy paper I thought. Some things that came up weren't expected, but were easy enough. SLH of Vaporisation probably threw some people, but the other 3 experiments were really easy. Most of the maths questions were simple too I thought, nothing too difficult to get your head around. The only come down might have been the wording in some question, that could throw people, like: "How are electrons produced in an X-ray tube?" - I'm sure lots of people just saw electron and x-ray, and went through how x-rays are created by electrons (rather than thermionic emission). All in all, an excellent test :) - thought I'd be scraping a B3, but fairly confident of an A1 now.

What did everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'm in the same boat, got a B1 in my mock, got A1/A2 in all class tests since, and I'm nearly sure of my A1 after today. Easiest paper since they introduced the new syllabus. Finished my 3A's and 5B's by 12.05 so i went back in for A2 and B10. Nothing could knock me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

What a simplistic paper. Messed up a couple of questions, and left out the "at constant temperature" from the end of Boyle's Law. But then again, I did two extra questions, so all should be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Experiments were very easy, I couldn't have asked for better, however the experiment to verify the principle of conservation of momentum was obviously talking about a different experiment to the one we had carried out (however not much different). I did experiments 1,2 & 3.

Q5 I got all parts (apart 2nd j part)

Q6 I ignored at first because I hadn't revised circ motion... I got it all however I just realised that for v, I put v=2(pi) instead of v=2(pi)r, stupid mistake but hopefully not a huge amount of marks.

Q7 very easy, but I hate describing experiments, I'm usually confusing when I'm trying to explain things.

Q10 I started with 1st in section B, I thought electric field strength is the same as electric field intensity so that's how I started the question, however I decided that I was wrong, so I didn't finish the question (me stupid), doesn't matter it was a spare.

Q11 I never do the article question, I generally just don't like it. But the questions were very straightforward, I was kinda disappointed with their lack of interesting questions but very easy.

Q12 I did parts 'a' and 'c', found them grand.

Overall I'm very happy with the paper, I was a little worried with how easy it was cos usually I have no spare time, but I was finished early and was wondering if I had skipped a question or something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

That was onimously simple. The experiments were not exactly what were predicted, but the equestions on them were easy. I did all the experiments.
    Only thing was I couldnt get the difference in resistance USING THE GRAPH. I did it mathematically instead.

5-easy, got 9 of them done
    6-very easy
    7-very easy
    9-easy
    10-okay, the only catch was the very last bit, i forgot that it was a vector.
    12-did a b and c...all easy.

I heard that question 11(a) was simple aswell.
    My answers were the same as the rest of my class to the sums. Overall, i'd say i got at least 95%.
    That paper will be marked very hard; lots of people will be getting A1s with the current marking scheme.

Yeah I was kinda thinking that, they can't give everyone As.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

Does that mean it will work to my advantage that i got around a C3? Like if they make the marking scheme harder will it take down only the A1 and A2 grades or all grades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Lovely paper overall! Did 1,2 and 3 in Section A and 5,6,7,11(a), and 12(a & d). Only had problems with 7 because I hadn't looked over much stuff about waves but the rest were very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I personally think that provided constants and figures should be given at the inroductory stage in a question...when I was asked for the radius of the satellite's orbit of Saturn I stalled for five minutes because the planet's mass was in little scuttery type at the very end of the question. It should be in italicised bold type after the introduction. Thank you.

I'd say it'll effect everyone, the marking scheme will be discussed and changed for everyone. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

effects all grades, they cant mark wrong what you got right though, its mostly cutbacks in attempt marks and more finicky marking of definitions. Its marked to a curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

The easier the paper, the harder they're going to mark it! :eek: :eek:

Edit: Damn taking my time writing posts!! :mad: , nevermind!!!

upmeath wrote:
    I personally think that provided constants and figures should be given at the inroductory stage in a question...when I was asked for the radius of the satellite's orbit of Saturn I stalled for five minutes because the planet's mass was in little scuttery type at the very end of the question. It should be in italicised bold type after the introduction. Thank you.

In fairness, they've always put the necessary given values at the bottom of the question, however yes it should never be like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

I thought it was a lovely paper aswell but I'd say there's probably enough tricky parts to seperate the A's. the frequency of the radio waves changing , Doppler effect. Thank god that came to me in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

^^^
    Were they looking for the idea that the satellite in its orbit will be moving towards earth, and away from earth as it goes around its period? Or that both Saturn and Earth have different velocities about the sun, hence the distance between the two (and the satellite as a result) would be constantly changing? Or both?

I screwed up a little on 3 (snell's law), got 2.17 instead of 1.3-1.5 for the refractive index. Couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong either. Everything on the right axis, line even went through the origin. Had slope formula down and 'sini/sinr=n', so hopefully they dont punish me too much...

Also for 10.) - Describe experiment to show eletric field pattern, would water + acid (to provide h+ & oh- ions), circuit + electrodes, and semolina be what they were looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

easy enough paper, i dont think they will mark it so hard though, id say a people who dont understand the subject still didnt do great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

very good paper. very happy. Only thing i couldnt get was the last bit in A4.If it's right, its right. If you deserve an A1, you'll get an a1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

It was a bit too easy. I find every in every leaving cert exam this year, its the easiest year in most of my subjects. Hope the same will happen for Chemistry 2moro :D

ya the trend better be the same with chemistry. I have to get a B tomorrow for my course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doctor D-Man

Grand paper altogether. Some parts were a bit tricky but the most I lost is about 5% and thats marking myself hard.

SECTION A
    1. Simple exp. even though it wasnt predicted. I think they were on about the one using ticker timer whereas we used the air track. I just adapted the questions a bit to suit our exp. Surely they cant take marks for that though.

2. didnt do it. not too bad all the same

3. Snells Law - as predicted. No problems here. I was actually able to guess all the questions before I even read them. Nothing new whatsoever. I think its an exact copy of a sample i saw somewhere, could be wrong though.

4. Fine out. Ended up repeating myself a small bit at the end when they asked why I is not prop to pd and the reason the resistance changes. Might not have given all the info required as it was worth 18marks

5. answered all the questions without a bother. full marks here

6. Really basic stuff. The derivation of period was on. Glad to see that. Might have got some figures wrong in calculations. The second calculation (time taken for signal to reach earth) must have been a mistake. It was in no way related to the first part and hence you were given 9 marks for a one-line calculation. Have I missed something here??

7. No problems. I really liked the fact that they asked the too easy wave exps. easy 21 marks there.

8. done this as an extra question coz i didnt really put muxh effort into radiation. first parts were fine. didn't know how 2 demonstrate ionisation. also couldnt do calculation (iii) - probably very easy too i suppose

9. skipped it. dont know why but i always seem to make mistakes in elec. questions so i decided to leave it out

10. Coulombs law. Nothing too difficult - was highly tipped to come up also. I left out a bit at the end though :(

11. skipped it. Nothing hard there though. I suppose I shouldve done that instead of 10.

12 (a) took some logical thinking - think i got it all right
    (b) skipped it
    (c) easy out
    (d) highly tipped to come up - nothing too hard there either

Overall I'd say I have to get at least an A2. Considering the easiness of the whole paper, I doubt I'll be up for an A1. They will probably be given to candidates who have given the most detail in their answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

i did'ent do much study, i thought i was alright, hopefully i passed it, (only got 23%) in the mocks, and how do ya get the refractive index of the glass block is it slope of graph?

Anyone wana throw up some answers for Section A 1,2,3

Section B
    5,6,7,11b,12a,d

you know on ques one about the 0.2s what did ye write?

That the ticker tape timer operates at a certain frequency (probably 50hz), mean every 1/50th (or .02 seconds) it makes a hole in the tape. Hence if the distance measured between two points is x, then the distance travelled by the trolley is this value x, and hence it takes .02 seconds to travel this distance (since it took .02 seconds for the two ticks).

6. .................... The second calculation (time taken for signal to reach earth) must have been a mistake. It was in no way related to the first part and hence you were given 9 marks for a one-line calculation. Have I missed something here??

Yeah it seemed to come out of nowhere...

if you used the air track though whats the story then, as it is an option is it not which way you do it

That the ticker tape timer operates at a certain frequency (probably 50hz), mean every 1/50th (or .02 seconds) it makes a hole in the tape. Hence if the distance measured between two points is x, then the distance travelled by the trolley is this value x, and hence it takes .02 seconds to travel this distance (since it took .02 seconds for the two ticks).

For that experiment, I wrote about the 2 gliders on the air-track, with the light gates measuring the times. Not what they were talking about cos the times would not be the same, but I kinda worked around it.

ya i tried that, if its an option in the syllabus they'll have to give the marks.i said you know the distance between the 1st gate and the second rider so you get the speed from the 1st gate and divide the distance by it to get 0.2s

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

4. Fine out. Ended up repeating myself a small bit at the end when they asked why I is not prop to pd and the reason the resistance changes. Might not have given all the info required as it was worth 18marks

I found I was writing the same answer too :(
    Johnerr wrote:
    i did'ent do much study, i thought i was alright, hopefully i passed it, (only got 23%) in the mocks, and how do ya get the refractive index of the glass block is it slope of graph?

Yeah, get the slope of the line from your graph.

I thought the paper was alright too so hopefully i can get a decent mark in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

A Pure dos of a physics paper. A definate A1 finally, something in this LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I jus have a little question about the snells law experiment
    snells%20law.JPG

What i did was draw the graph and all correct, then took two points of the x-axis, drew a line up (as you can see, and used the corresponding y-values to calculate the slope using the formula. I also put in the the slope of the line would give sin i/sin r. Thats what your supposed to do yeah?

On the whole i was delighted with my paper, considering i did no study at all. I worked it out and got a C1 or B3 or thereabouts, which was nice.

Advertisement