Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics !!!! (H)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

*Angel* wrote:
    Why does everyone here seem to hate the experiment to find the specific latent heat of vaporisation of steam? I think only one other person said they did the experiment. It's easy stuff and the question was easy and predictable.
    I did it too. It was hardly even a question on the experiment - basically work out the sum. It was like Junior Cert!

*Angel* wrote:
    Why does everyone here seem to hate the experiment to find the specific latent heat of vaporisation of steam? I think only one other person said they did the experiment. It's easy stuff and the question was easy and predictable.

The reason I didn't do question 3 is because there was 24 marks going for just an equation, so if I made some stupid mathematical error it may cost me big time! Besides that, I have no reason. Just liked the other 3 I guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

The reason I didn't do question 3 is because there was 24 marks going for just an equation, so if I made some stupid mathematical error it may cost me big time! Besides that, I have no reason. Just liked the other 3 I guess. :)

Then it's a lot of marks for one sum, an advantage in my view, and most people have an idea that the answer would be around 2 x 10^6, so you'd have an idea if you got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

q2 was a easy done in 10 mins ****ed up one thing in q8 forgot to change years to seconds hope i get the a1 but will settle for a2

*Angel* wrote:
    Then it's a lot of marks for one sum, an advantage in my view, and most people have an idea that the answer would be around 2 x 10^6, so you'd have an idea if you got it wrong.

Very true. But after my slips on the maths paper I was just afraid to tackle any kind of sum I guess. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:
    I did it too. It was hardly even a question on the experiment - basically work out the sum. It was like Junior Cert!

Yeah and seen as I hate explaining the methods in experiments it was very good :D .

Brendygg wrote:
    q2 was a easy done in 10 mins ****ed up one thing in q8 forgot to change years to seconds hope i get the a1 but will settle for a2

So many people are looking for that A1, myself included. I'm just wondering how many people will actually get the As that they expect, it seems like everyone is expecting a high grade which is really unrealistic, this marking scheme is probably going to cause a lot of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

we'll all no on aug17th

Only bout 8 weeks...

Indeed it is. It feels so close.........

On a separate note, Angel, if I remember correctly, are you doing App. Maths? Have you any predictions? Like have you an inkling on where Hooke's Law might come up etc?

I only started the course in February and I had to do it at home too, so I have no teacher to ask predictions from. :(

Do you think there would be any point in posting a thread about predictions? I don't think you can really predict App. Maths so I'm not sure if there would be any value in doing so.

• Advertisement

On a separate note, Angel, if I remember correctly, are you doing App. Maths? Have you any predictions?

Yep I am, although I have neither heard or would trust predictions for app maths, it seems like anything could come up.

Do you think there would be any point in posting a thread about predictions? I don't think you can really predict App. Maths so I'm not sure if there would be any value in doing so.

I don't think so, however I do think the hydrostatics will be hard this year (cos simple last year), but I think you said you weren't doing that.

I'm getting a little worried bout it now, cos I took the last 2 days off study (lost any motivation whatsoever) and I haven't done app maths for about a month and I should be getting an A1 but I haven't even decided what questions I'm doing (I'll def be doing projectiles, relative velocity, connected particles, diff equations).

How did you find doing the course in such a short time? How many topics did you cover?

How many topics did you cover?

I did 7 topics. Everything bar questions 6, 8 & 9.

How did you find doing the course in such a short time?

Very difficult, especially since I was doing it just based on a book, without any outside help available. I found questions 2 & 10 the hardest to learn, with questions 3 & 4 being the easiest.
    I'm getting a little worried bout it now, cos I took the last 2 days off study (lost any motivation whatsoever)

I'm finding it hard to study myself. I've no motivation whatsoever. I'm so sure that I'm going to get a low B in this, and that it's not going to be in my top 6, that I just don't see the point in pushing myself, even though I should be and I really really want to.

What topics did you cover?

What topics did you cover?

Everything, that is my teacher covered everything over 2 years, I'm not doing statics though I hate it for some reason, other than that nothing is out. I'll probably prepare 8 questions for the day, studying starts tomorrow (maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Do ye too know eachother. ye've being the two most active people on the LC forums and both are very intellegent by the looks of it.

studying starts tomorrow (maybe).

Yeah. I'm starting today too (I assume you meant today?).

Just out of interest, are there many out of your class? Or any you the only one doing it?

Webmonkey wrote:
    Do ye too know eachother. ye've being the two most active people on the LC forums and both are very intellegent by the looks of it.

Wow thanks! Although I must admit a lot of people have been saying that they're going to get about 580-600 points, whick is at least fifty points more than I'm expecting.

And the fact that we are the most active people also signifies that we don't do enough study!!!!!!

And no we don't know each other, not from this life anyway.

So, how's the LC been for you Webmonkey?

Webmonkey wrote:

Only from boards

appearances can be deceiving...

Yeah. I'm starting today too (I assume you meant today?).

Just out of interest, are there many out of your class? Or any you the only one doing it?

You're evil, yeah you caught me out today then...

13, all higher bar 1. 5 girls and the rest guys.

Wow! Didn't realise there were so many doing it! there are 4 secondary schools in my area and yet I'm the only one doing it! :( I really wish I just had a teacher to talk to or something!!!

I'm the only one doing HL Maths too but at least I can ask for help from a lot of teachers about that. :)

Wow! Didn't realise there were so many doing it! there are 4 secondary schools in my area and yet I'm the only one doing it! :( I really wish I just had a teacher to talk to or something!!!

Now if you have any trouble...
    I'm the only one doing HL Maths too but at least I can ask for help from a lot of teachers about that. :)

And there was me thinking it was bad that only about 60 out of 150 in my year did higher, I find that v hard to believe. :eek:

• Advertisement

*Angel* wrote:
    And there was me thinking it was bad that only about 60 out of 150 in my year did higher, I find that v hard to believe. :eek:

LoL. Well there was 2 to begin with..............

I'm listening to some Charlotte Church music right now so I must be tired. I wonder what would put me straight to sleep? Maybe if I watched the US Grand Prix again..............

Goodnight!

I wonder what would put me straight to sleep? Maybe if I watched the US Grand Prix again..............

You actually watched it then? I only watched the highlights cos I was so pissed off. :mad:

Night

*Angel* wrote:
    You actually watched it then? I only watched the highlights cos I was so pissed off. :mad:

Night

Yeah I watched it to see who would come 3rd for some reason.

Ta ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The LC has being quite good actually. Done better than i thought i would.all I need is 300, think i have that. Hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

sixdraw wrote:
    no its proportional to mass per unit length and i think you might get 1 or 2 marks for the "mass per" part. don't be thinking about little bits like that, its allready done
    f ~ 1/(root mass per unit length)

I don't think you would have to say it's inversly proportional to mass per unit length...the question was "Give two other factors that affect the frequency of a stretched string". It doesn't say to state their relationship with f.
    Angel wrote:
    Only bout 8 weeks...
    Only!!!. It'll do my head in! Nevermind, there's always Wimbeldon, Formula 1 and THE INTERNET. I watched indianapolis because I was quite amused at Jordan and Minardi getting 11 and 7 points respectively. Michael Schumacher isn't out of it yet, especiallyif Michelin are punished badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

i'm not saying you have to say its proportional , i'm just showing how frequency is proportional to the mass per unit length, hence saying that whoever gave mass per unit length as an answer will be correct

OTliddy wrote:
    Only!!!. It'll do my head in!

Sure it'll fly by :D .

Advertisement