Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OECD - Falling CD sales can't be blamed on P2P swappers

Options
  • 20-06-2005 1:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What a surprise...
    The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) report found a "pronounced" fall in overall global CD sales of 20 percent between 1999 and 2003, while the number of simultaneous users on all peer-to-peer networks reached almost 10 million in October 2004.

Digital music piracy is acknowledged as a problem by the OECD but the report cites other factors -- such as the rise in the number of entertainment sources -- as being more likely to have had a significant impact on music sales.

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9613070

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Hah, i've been boring folks with that argument for ages, but it's nice to see somebody agrees with me! I remember when you'd nip into HMV/Virgin and all you could buy in there was music, maybe the odd computer game for your Commodore 64. Compare with today where the DVD dept is as big as the music and games isn't too far behind and BOTH tend to carry stock where the unit cost is higher than that carried in the music area.

Chuck in the fact that *ahem* young folk nowadays can also choose to spend the disposable income on 'intangibles' like ringtones as well, and factor in the fact that nowadays there are more concerts than ever going on and it all makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

not to mention the fact that for the first ten years after the introduction of the cd the record companies made loads of money persuading people to throw out their vinyl and buy "remastered" reissues of the albums they already had....

people arent quite as stupid nowadays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I constatly use peer to peer services and dispite (and probably becasue of) this I still spend about 2 grand a year on albums easaly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

everyone knows its the afghan's fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Downloading music makes me spend more money on CDs. Not everyone has the pleasure of hearing their favourite songs on the radio, that's where the internet comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Ya, i dont download songs that i can get in shops. I HATE when u cant get a single in a shop and ur expected to make some huge leap or something to get that one song!

Its so easy to download old songs anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Downloading music definately made me buy more CD's.

I think all media is suffering from this problem at the moment. We have so many different mediums of entertainment. You've got TV shows, TiVo, DVD's of TV series. You've got cinema, DVD's, movie channels. Radio, CD's, live music. And the internet, that's a huge time sink for our leasure time. Video games tend to be 10 times longer than they were a decade ago. I used to play 4 or 5 games a week between my Mega Drive and the arcades. Now I stuggle to manage 4 or 5 a year. They're just so long and time consuming. Pick-up-and play stuff died off years ago.

Advertisement