Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading hard drive

• 20-06-2005 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to install a new SATA hard drive, but have come into a few problems.

When I enter the BIOS setup and search for a hard drive it never finds the new drive.

It is connected to the motherboard to a PCI card. I have got the drive to work but telling the BIOS to look for a SCSI drive when booting up. It's a seagate drive and it states that some systems may pick the drive upas a SCSI.

Any ideas on how to get the BIOS to recognize this new drive.

Thanks,
    Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The bios of your computer won't detect the SATA drive, the "bios" on the PCI controller card should though. After your post screen you should see an additional bit of information where you can go in and configure your PCI SATA card.

At least that's my experience, others may differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Yeah there does seem to be some information about the hard drive pop up while windows is loading.

I not sure if there's a way of getting into this PCI card bios though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Yeah there does seem to be some information about the hard drive pop up while windows is loading.

I not sure if there's a way of getting into this PCI card bios though?
    If your using Windows, try simply the device manager, and add new h/w (if its a slave)
    else, you may need to format and segment drive ect....
    keep us updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Conar

Junior #8 wrote: »
    If your using Windows, try simply the device manager, and add new h/w (if its a slave)
    else, you may need to format and segment drive ect....
    keep us updated!

I'm pretty certain he's either got it sorted or given up by now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah for thread necromancy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement