Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox probs, IE ok

Options
  • 20-06-2005 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm working on a website currently. Nothing fancy just the basics. Seems to be a-ok when viewed in IE 6 but unfortunately the side menus go a bit loopy on some pages(General Info, Link 1) when viewed in Firefox. I've tried a lot of messing around with the menu layout but thought someone would have an idea what terrible design flaw I have made. I'm not going live until August so lots of time for fixing my mistakes.

http://www.sportverein.isdedu.de/

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Seems ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Identical in both browsers for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

He's talking about internal pages. If you click on the General Info link at the top then look at the menu on the left, there is a gap of a few pixels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Serbian wrote:
    He's talking about internal pages. If you click on the General Info link at the top then look at the menu on the left, there is a gap of a few pixels.

That I am, that I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

i find that firefox doesnt seem to like the div tag too much. you seemtobe using them around the problem area. firefox is much more liable t pick up compliance issues in your site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The problem is the IE's CSS implementation is actually broken; so making sites to suit all popular browsers becomes that little bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

i find that firefox doesnt seem to like the div tag too much. you seemtobe using them around the problem area. firefox is much more liable t pick up compliance issues in your site.

Div tags are fine in firefox. The problem is, as pointed out, the IE CSS implementation. It allows you to write sloppy non-W3C-compliant code, thus causing problems for everyone else.

Firefox, or just about any other non-IE browser will have a hissy fit with poorly written code, which is a good thing since it stops this phenomenon known as IE-developers, as opposed to Web-developers.

I don't wanna be a IE Developer! Ok, so it's sloppy, but help me out here and recommend me some article or book on keeping all browers happy, I'm still at a loss to WHY it does what it does specifiacally on my site. All I did was lay out tables the way I wanted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Well, I found the problem. To fix it, I just merged the two table rows that the two parts of the nav were in. The fixed HTML document is attached to this post as a zip file so you can take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

just fyi, in safari on a mac the ticker jumps all over the place for me

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Serbian, helped a lot.

Advertisement