Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Comparisons for Self Build

• 20-06-2005 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello All

I've been looking with interest on all things to do with cost. As I said on an earlier post we are building a 3,000 sq ft house, straightforward design, dormer type bungalow - velux windows instead of dormers. Below is our budget, we are very lucky that a lot of our family are in the trade and helping out a lot along the way, I'd love to get some cost comparisons to make sure that the budget isn't way out!!

PS: Prices are in thousands :D

Self build Insurance 3K
    Scaffolding (buying and selling later) 2K
    hedge + pailings .3K
    Engineer 1K
    Solicitor 2K
    Concrete floors 2K
    Paths 1.5K
    ESB Connection 1.3
    Water Connection 1K
    Radon Barrier 0.5K
    Septic tank 2K
    Groundwork (incl ready mix) 9K
    Stone + Stonework 5K
    Blocks 5K
    Blocklaying 10.5K
    sand cement flueliners 3K
    Roof 18K
    Slabbing 2K
    Plastering 15K
    Plastering materials 2K
    Sills and lintels 1.5K
    Fasia and soffit 1K
    Windows/doors 10K
    Electrics 4K (Doing this ourselves - price for supplies only)
    Hoover System 1K
    Plumbing 4K (Doing this ourselves - price for supplies only (ensuites, baths etc seperate)
    Internal doors / skirting 8.5
    Stairs 3
    Insulation 2.5
    Landscaping 1K

I think thats it, would love some feedback on this ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Scaffolding you should almost double lad, will defo cost u 3.5 for 2nd hand scaffolding and boards if you are going to scaffold the whole house at the one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Levi25

Hi Yop

Just a reminder - I'm not a lad :D

We got a price for the scaffolding, back and front - 2.2K thats in the south though.

What about the other prices? Esp roof (straightforward with 1 valley) and plastering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

I'm building a similar sized house, and I'm expecting to have spent about 5k on insulation. I'm putting in kingspan/xtratherm everywhere, plus rockwool to fill in any gaps/awkward bits.

Does the windows and doors figure include the veluxes? Mine are just under 10k excluding front door, which is costing 1600 for a solid teak jobby. I'm expecting to pay about 3k on veluxes.

8.5k on internal doors??
    I saw really nice heavy white oak solid panel doors at the weekend, for 200 ea, but as i'm ordering 20, 160 ea.
    €41.80 ea for a white oak architrave pack
    €23.30 per 12 ft length of white oak skirting (6in X 18mm).
    add in handles, hinges and varnish, etc and your figure is probably not far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

Levi25 wrote:
    What about the other prices? Esp roof (straightforward with 1 valley) and plastering

Mine cost about 5k in timber through a friend in the business, reckon it should have cost about 7 or 8.

Tiles - 3000 tiles at 650 per thousand from Roadstone
    Ridge tiles and the plastic fixing thingy - can't remember (1 - 1.5k??)
    Lead .8k (yours should be much less, as you have no dormers)
    Anything else I've forgotten?

Re: plastering - your budget for materials, is about the same as mine (that's internal only). As for labour... what's that? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry girly!! that is a great price for the scaffolding!!

We are doing a TF so very hard to compare with a full block house. Internal doors seem extreme alright though.
    Window and plastering sound spot on.

• Advertisement

I hope I have allowed too much for the door - more money for decorating :D

The price includes the frames and handles too, we have 3 internal french doors so they are a bit more too. I'd like white oak too - they look lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi,

2k for concrete floors, is this for precast floors (spanwright etc), if so thats a great price. Ive been quoted an average of about 6.5k for a slightly smaller house.

5k for stone and stone work, how much stone work are you putting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Also 1k for your hoover system is about right for self install. Which you sounds like you will have no problem doing.

Im getting mine from Vacuflo for 1.2k self install. Thats for the larger unit whichs does up to 5000 sq ft.

Out of interest how many windows and door??

We have 22 windows and two standard black PVC doors, got them all for 8k from Mahons in Athlone

All the front face is stone but its mostly windows.

I think that there is about 16 windows, 6 veluxes (4 big ones and 2 small) and a conservatory so I do think that the windows will cost a bit more than 10K but not that much, I hope.

As for concrete floor - I've no idea what type we are having will have to ask the men about that :D

I'm interested in hearing roof prices and plastering prices cuase we haven't got quotes for them, although family are doing roof so surely won't rip us off!

• Advertisement

Plastering costs.

We have 2100 sq ft house. Skimmed only inside as it is all platerboard. Nap outside with standard 1" reveals. Front is stone so plastering 2 gables and back.

Costing were as follows, variances!
    I got 9 quotes - 4 never came back
    1 - 9000
    2 - 9500 - To Render outside and spray inside
    3 - 9800
    4 - 9500
    5 - 8750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

We are close to finishing a "self build" in Co Roscommon. Wen I say "self" - it was the opposite - I did nothing except hire all the labour and buy most of the materials (with guidance from builder)
    It is also a dormer with dormer windows - plus garage
    House floor area is approx 2250 sq feet
    We had one builder to do the shell of the house - including roof and foundation. I have him back now doing paths and drains and sewage.
    Have a look at progress on http://self-build-in-ireland.blogspot.com/

I have been quoted €2500 for internal painting of the house - includes varnishing the timber. Is this excessive? (Excludes paint)

My other figures -

Insurance - oops ! just did a house under construction policy (€250)
    Scaffolding - builder supplied
    hedge + pailings ? whats this
    Engineer 1K - mine is 1.2k - and he's crap
    Solicitor 2K - 1.5k Concrete floors 2K - ditto
    Paths 1.5K - not finished yet - but expecting similar
    ESB Connection 1.3 - same
    Water Connection 1K - 1.2k here

Septic tank - waste treatment system from Envirocare 3.2k
    Foundation concrete - 4k for concrete
    Blocks 5K - 4.5k
    Blocklaying 10.5K

Slabbing 2K - i was charged for labour 2k !
    Plastering 15K 12.5k (and he is expensive and didn't do the garage inside)
    Plastering materials 2K - around 1.8k not including plasterboard!
    Windows/doors - 6.6k tj grady
    Electrics - 4k for supply and fit

Plumbing - 9k for supply and fit (sanitary and showers extra)

Internal doors / skirting - about 4500 finished - (red deal/pine)
    Stairs - not done but priced at 1.3k fitted (red deal and metal spindles)
    Insulation - about 6k I reckon for walls roof floor - all kingspan stuff
    Landscaping - spent about 5k so far - includes site clearance - it was a bit of a hill.

Labour 33k for foundations blocks and roof includes garage
    Stone for foundation and drive - about 5k
    Rest of materials for house - about 22k (to bring it to builders finish)

The total build cost of the house alone (excludes site, engineer - solicitors - esb etc) is about 120k
    The final cost including garage and landscaping is 140k
    The expected finished cost including kitchen floors tiles paint is 167k
    Not as cheap as I first thought it would be!!

Ogham

Finally I get to find out who did that blog, to be honest I got my inspiration from your site. I have followed your build through since January, excellent page and great ideas and detail.

Best of luck with the move in

Just got a quote of 6900 for doing the plastering.... a lad who has just left a builder in Dublin and moved back to Mayo, now I am sceptical, what would ye think, I intend to see his work first before I decide though.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Cushtie

ogham , yop

Excellent Blogs. really goes to show the amount of work you have to put in. Ogham it must have been a great advantage that you were around alot to keep an eye on stuff and run here and there for supplies etc. what about you Yop are you around your site alot.

the place we will be building is about 25 miles from where we live and work now. I am considering selling up and putting a mobile home on site, 1 to be close to the action as possible 2. for site security

Thanks Custie - I live 20 miles from the site and work 25 miles from the site so it is a bit of a trip but I have been on site almost every day since middle of May.

Yop - nice to know i inspired you! :rolleyes:
    Looks like you are a lot more hands on than me - the only bit I have done is a small bit of spade work and a bit of paining.
    Do you think I am being ripped off for the painting 2500 for inside only downstairs (floor area about 1700 sq ft) plus varnish all skirting and doors - labour only. He reckons he will do it in a week - with 5 men - so that will let us move in quicker and save maybe a mnths rent (550) - I spoke to a builder in Donegal (wifes cousins husband) - who said 2k for a 1400 sq ft would be normal for builders - so maybe it's not too bad - but I think his price included paint (probably cheap stuff)
    Yop - that plastering price is probably OK - ours is block inside - so needed much more plaster. Yours will be skimcoat on all internal walls - so less work. I think the plasterer was probably the most expensive per hour out of all the trades. (I forgot the bloody wall chaser - he charged me 430 for less than a days work for a man and a "boy" -!!)
    I haven't really shopped around to much - just gone on recommendations and paid what thay ask for.

Anyway - I'll keep trying to update the blog with prices. The final stages seem to feel more costly - probably because ther's less money left. We will probably have to miss out a few bits of furniture and the garage door and the extra TV etc - till we top up the bank account again!

In fairness lad you Blog is excellent, very informative, especially to us "virgins" of building.

Painting - I am doing that myself, bought a compressor and spray gun so going to cover all windows and everything else that should be covered and run around the whole house before any stairs, door, skirting etc goes in.

Varnishing will also be my pain..... ;)

Plastering - Ya big big money, would have scratch coated outside myself but then would not have gotten a plasterer in after that.

I must update my blog, loads out of date,

Tell me, the pics, where are you linking urs from, is there a free link that I could store them on and then link from the blog?

Actually do me a favour and check if they are viewable now

Yop - I use "Hello" by Picasa - which is connected to Blogger.com somehow I think. - Another of google's great ideas. t's free - just needs a download and it ties in with blogger automatically .
    I think there's a link to it when you go in to the blogger dashboard ....
    No I just checked - it's not there anymore?

heres the url
    http://www.hello.com/

Good Luck

Yop - your pictures are still not visible .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cocomax

Levi25 wrote: »
    Hello All

I've been looking with interest on all things to do with cost. As I said on an earlier post we are building a 3,000 sq ft house, straightforward design, dormer type bungalow - velux windows instead of dormers. Below is our budget, we are very lucky that a lot of our family are in the trade and helping out a lot along the way, I'd love to get some cost comparisons to make sure that the budget isn't way out!!

PS: Prices are in thousands :D

Self build Insurance 3K
    Scaffolding (buying and selling later) 2K
    hedge + pailings .3K
    Engineer 1K
    Solicitor 2K
    Concrete floors 2K
    Paths 1.5K
    ESB Connection 1.3
    Water Connection 1K
    Radon Barrier 0.5K
    Septic tank 2K
    Groundwork (incl ready mix) 9K
    Stone + Stonework 5K
    Blocks 5K
    Blocklaying 10.5K
    sand cement flueliners 3K
    Roof 18K
    Slabbing 2K
    Plastering 15K
    Plastering materials 2K
    Sills and lintels 1.5K
    Fasia and soffit 1K
    Windows/doors 10K
    Electrics 4K (Doing this ourselves - price for supplies only)
    Hoover System 1K
    Plumbing 4K (Doing this ourselves - price for supplies only (ensuites, baths etc seperate)
    Internal doors / skirting 8.5
    Stairs 3
    Insulation 2.5
    Landscaping 1K

I think thats it, would love some feedback on this ;)

hi looked at your costs your not allowing for heating or renewables
    alot of your costs seem way of ie its costing 8.5k for internal doors and only 10k for windows and doors
    ground works and septic tank at seem
    and your allowing for 10.5k to lay 5k worth of blocks thats way out
    get a good qs for yourself
    their worth their money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Hi Op,

I think you left out price for tiles for all area's kit, bathroom ensuite etc .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Insulation seems low at 2.5K, don't skimp on this or you'll be sorry down the line..
    Bump up the insulation spec as much as possible, money spent on this will improve your comfort levels and save you money forever....Where money spent on hardwood rather than softwood doors/fittings is just asthetics and down to personal taste..

On the plumbing I'd suggest laying insulated pipe & control cable from hotpress to roof space so solar panels can be added later, extra coil in tank also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

this thread was started in June 2005 i think we can safely assume
    that prices have changed quite a bit since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SLIPPERY FROG

any prices for hollocore/ sq foot

Advertisement