Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a broadband in D15, help me!

• 20-06-2005 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so I've finally paid off my debts, I've been without an internet connection for what seems like ages, and I'm ready to get broadband.

I live in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, and I'm not sure which service is the best for me.

From what I've read in the threads on this forum over the past couple of months, here is what I have gathered.
    • Irish Broadband (Breeze Lite) is completely unreliable and shoud be avoided like the plague...
    • NTL Broadband seems to have top quality service everywhere EXCEPT D15, which has been described on numerous occasions as a type of "black hole"
    • Eircom are con artists who should not be trusted.

So what should I do? Does anyone in the Clonsilla area have a reliable and affordable broadband connection? Are there any/many alternatives to the connections posted above?

All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Yours,
    A Confused Joe Soap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Im in Mulhuddart with IBB Breeze Home on VL gear for the last yr+, works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    • Irish Broadband (Breeze Lite) is completely unreliable and shoud be avoided like the plague...

IBB have been fine for me, off the Ballycoolin mast for the last 15 months.

They have another mast on the roof of the Atrium building, and another on the Clonsilla road (near the Larch Grove / Portersgate according to the map, presumably to cover the great big wedge of D15 obstructed by the Quinn Direct building) so you should be able to get LOS to at least one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

pete wrote:
    IBB have been fine for me, off the Ballycoolin mast for the last 15 months.

They have another mast on the roof of the Atrium building, and another on the Clonsilla road (near the Larch Grove / Portersgate according to the map, presumably to cover the great big wedge of D15 obstructed by the Quinn Direct building) so you should be able to get LOS to at least one of them...

The high site is actually on the mast at the Clonsilla Railway station - just got connected today - user number 3...

Was on Ballycoolin but the connection was not reliable - very high contention on that mast.

Wonder how long it will last on the Clonsilla mast ?

sounds like ntl is pretty much oversubscribed in D15 also.

I have utv DSL for over a year and it has been 'ok' - good when they launched but since the last upgrade it has gone to the dogs ... very unreliable - dropping connection etc. The customer service is an absolute joke once you can get through !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I recommend that you get Esat BT and a wireless router. I get nice speeds on both pcs all over the house (and garden) but you would need to add a PCI wireless card and/or cardbus for the laptop

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,328 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm in Clonsilla and have been using BT for the past two months or so. So far it's been pretty good, with one notable exception where I couldn't connect at all. When that happened I rang their tech support and a very helpful person spent about 40 minutes on the phone with me sorting it out. No problems since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

sounds like ntl is pretty much oversubscribed in D15 also.

Im in D15 also, is Ntl really that bad? I got a leaflet to say it's available. Is it worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paddy wrote:
    Im in D15 also, is Ntl really that bad? I got a leaflet to say it's available. Is it worth getting?

No to IBB (Good but not reliable)
    No to NTL (Poor)

(I got both)

if you can get ADSL, any service, jump at it !!!

I'm living in Luttrelstown, D15

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

paddy wrote:

I had read that some boards users in D15 were having problems ... just what I read on boards.

I had read that some boards users in D15 were having problems ... just what I read on boards.

and its true.....................

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    OK, so I've finally paid off my debts, I've been without an internet connection for what seems like ages, and I'm ready to get broadband.

I live in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, and I'm not sure which service is the best for me.

From what I've read in the threads on this forum over the past couple of months, here is what I have gathered.
    • NTL Broadband seems to have top quality service everywhere EXCEPT D15, which has been described on numerous occasions as a type of "black hole"
    • Eircom are con artists who should not be trusted.
    So what should I do? Does anyone in the Clonsilla area have a reliable and affordable broadband connection? Are there any/many alternatives to the connections posted above?

All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Yours,
    A Confused Joe Soap.

what did you go for in the end m8?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tmonks

HAve been using BT BB in the D15 area (Clonsilla) for over 2 yrs now.
    Find the service very reliable and their tech support guys are good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sorry, I'm with IBB for the last week, I'm within eyesight of the high sight and I have to say its excellent so far. Speeds are equal to if not better than friends with different connections.

Fingers crossed for the future.!

Advertisement