Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer ferrari 4000

• 20-06-2005 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

Im due a bit of excess cash in a few weeks so i was going to invest in one of these but i cant find any retailers here does anybody know of any or any online retailsers that sell them for a good price or if anybody has any suggestions for a different make laptop that would be a better buy.
    Thanks
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

dont know of any online retailers, but did see these for sale in compustore in kilkenny at the weekend, didnt catch price though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I seen that ferarri laptop in a computer shop in kilkenny a while back (I guess it must be Compustore), really cool laptop! You could buy off one of the british sites, but your gonna be fleeced with the cost of the currency conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

hate to break it you lads, but compustore went out of buisness about 8 months ago.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

was the one you seen bright red or was it the carbon Fibre jobby?
    Pete

Right well Design Edge is on the same street (its a back street that slopes down to one of the main streets) as this shop (I never said it was Compustore, I dont know the name of the shop, only that its a computer/electric shop), and yes it was bright red on the outside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Elara stock Acer laptops.. might be worth giving them a call, they mightn't have your particular model in stock, but I'm sure they could get it easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Check with this lot, they may be able to order it for you - http://www.microaid.ie/acatalog/index_new.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hmm, Bar the x700 in it I dont see the point in spending the extra money.
    HAve a 3400 myself and Pop Corsair DDR400 ram in and a 7,200rpm drive and she runs like a beut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

getting one of these bad boys myself.

they'll be in the uk within the next 7-10 days im told. roughly £1200+, or €1800+ converted. dont get them in ireland, you'll be screwed no matter who you go to. it's simply too expensive to buy it here compared to the uk.

laptops direct and riskfree are the only 2 sites i know of that have them listed. (in the uk).

ive never dealt with the latter so i cant comment but their website doesnt fill me with confidence. im probably buying off laptops direct, for £1229. wait a few weeks and you will get it cheaper due to more variety but not much, maybe save £50. i've emailed riskfree as they list it as €1763 which is dirt cheap, which is why im wary. im sure theyve made a mistake with their currency conversions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They have them in the computer shop beside Mao in Chatham Street, €1999 iirc.

• Advertisement

Thats grand sure ill take a look in Beyond 200 and see what they have ive a feeling it the 3400
    Pete

They have them in the computer shop beside Mao in Chatham Street, €1999 iirc.

i doubt it very much, the black carbon fibre ferrari and not the bright red one?!

you'll struggle to find them anywhere outside japan/china atm. even in the states they aren't easily available yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

The store in Kilkenny is still trading as Compustore, the one in Carlow only changed to Camtec, or something like that in the last few weeks, the machine i seen was bright red, really nice looking piece of work!

at last the uk have gotten their first batch. there are a few sites that have them in stock here
    & here & here

typical they come in on a friday! :rolleyes: im assuming bank transfer is all i can use as my credit card isnt registered in the uk. at least there'l be no surchage of 1% or whatever it is but will i get screwed by the bank instead?

somehow i think the €1915 i work out £1270 to be will turn into over €2k? dam english sites, for once i want to be part of the uk!! ;)

Why be part of the UK....Sure Lidl had these on offer for €1499 they were called a Targa....http://www.targa.co.uk/cms/targa_2_459.php?produkt_id=383

Your only paying an extra €400+ for the name Ferrari

If you buy them in Ireland they're going to be around €1900 upwards, they look damn cool but there nothing special only a plastic red cover and a ferrari badge near the mouse pad... as odie said is this really worth an extra €400!

odie wrote:
    Why be part of the UK....Sure Lidl had these on offer for €1499 they were called a Targa....http://www.targa.co.uk/cms/targa_2_459.php?produkt_id=383

Your only paying an extra €400+ for the name Ferrari

i cant tell you how angry these posts make me!! €400 for a name +looks you say.

try an extra 20GB hard drive, 2GHz turion compared with targas 1.8, slot load dvd burner, SWXGA+ screen, better battery life, 5-in-1 card reader compared to targa's 4-in-1, tough/resistant carbon fibre behind the screen & yes the sexy good looks and slickness that comes with being a ferrari.

you dont pay €400 for the name. sure the The TravelMate 8104WLMi is about €100 dearer than the ferrari with similar specs (more similar than the targa you compare it with). it doesnt have a ferrari logo on it :confused:

smemon wrote:
    i cant tell you how angry these posts make me!! €400 for a name +looks you say.

try an extra 20GB hard drive, 2GHz turion compared with targas 1.8, slot load dvd burner, SWXGA+ screen, better battery life, 5-in-1 card reader compared to targa's 4-in-1, tough/resistant carbon fibre behind the screen & yes the sexy good looks and slickness that comes with being a ferrari.

you dont pay €400 for the name. sure the The TravelMate 8104WLMi is about €100 dearer than the ferrari with similar specs (more similar than the targa you compare it with). it doesnt have a ferrari logo on it :confused:

Check below for the addons as Standard with the Targa. I reckon this would be worth another 200-300 yoyo's compared to the ferrari. That ferrari is looking expensive now.

Still Angry....he...he

Try Targa - 2 years incl. pick-up and return service - an additional €150 on Laptops direct for 3 years. Split the difference €75 for 2years

Additional lithium ion rechargeable battery, additional power pack, ext. floppy drive

Aditional DVB-T digital and analog TV card with radio tuner, antenna, remote control, stereo headset

Additional
    Microsoft® Plus! package*
    Pinnacle Studio SE*
    Cyberlink Power Cinema*
    SAD Audio Jack*
    Ahead Sipps* VoIP internet telephony
    Ahead NERO 6 OEM Suite*
    eTrust Antivirus*
    DivX Co

I like the ferrari badge and the carbon fibre that does it for me tbh
    yes i like my labels.
    Pete

peterk19 wrote:
    I like the ferrari badge and the carbon fibre that does it for me tbh
    yes i like my labels.
    Pete

exactly, whilst you do pay SOME amount for the logos and name you certainly dont pay €400 or anything near it.

lets not forget this is an acer & ferrari - 2 leading brands in different areas. targa is a no-name with little or no reputation. as a result they cant hike up their prices and expect to sell like acer can.

all that software is just to sweeten the deal, push you over the edge. the ferrari doesnt need anything extra to make you buy it.

• Advertisement

You will proably find that both units are made by the same company, like clevo in Taiwan. Then rebranded as acer, targa, and others.

Then all the brand seller does, is request the case to be made to a certain design, then stock parts are used for the insides. Thats why so many of the laptops are made from similar parts and specs.

The point I am making is that it seems a bit expensive to pay for these same parts in shiny branded (in this case Ferrari) case when you can get the same quality unit cheaper in a different brand case.

Just a comparison example. - I drive a Passat, but that was coz I got it cheap. Skoda didn't have an equivelant at the time.

Next time I'll go for the Skoda Superb - List price is nearly 15% less and they are the same parts, just badged as a Volkswagon. Built on the same assembly line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

peterk19 wrote:
    invest

No, this isn't the right word.

rsynnott wrote:
    No, this isn't the right word.
    True invest isnt the right word i should have used waste but its how i choose to waste my money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Thank you.

Your welcome

well you may be right in the image thing although i still dont think it's as drastic (€400) as suggested. my guess is €100.

on the flip side, the good thing about all this branding is that it's worth more and holds its value more when re-selling. the ferrari series is possible one of the best notebooks at holding it's value. buy a ferrari 3000 today, and it wont be far away from the price of the 4000.

sell a skoda & passat in 5 years time & i think i know which would fetch more.

anyhow, my ferrari (:D i like the sound of that) and not my targa :p has been ordered.

hopefully i'll get it monday morning and be one of the 1st in ireland with it :) i'll also have a nice big €2k on my credit card :mad: wonder if i'll regret this :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

MMMMMM, Ferrari. :)

I'm also gonna order one from laptopsdirect either this week or next week and can't wait to get my hands on one!

Rid wrote:
    MMMMMM, Ferrari. :)

I'm also gonna order one from laptopsdirect either this week or next week and can't wait to get my hands on one!

if you do, be sure to order from monday-wensday as you'll have it within 2 days. i tried to be clever and ordered mine friday hoping i'd get it monday morning but that backfired and now it'l be tuesday. :mad:

i'll post pics as soon as i get it, just to rub it in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Think I'll get one of these myself. Was going to get an XPS Gen2 - but these seem like a nice alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Has your ferrari arrived yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I ordered mine on Tuesday evening and it arrived yesterday afternoon. It is the first laptop I have owned but I have to say that I'm very impressed so far with it. :D I still need to install Half Life2 and some other games but it's all good so far.

Advertisement