Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek, The Next Emanation

Options
  • 20-06-2005 3:49pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, now that the dirty deed is finally done and the crew of the NX-01 have sailed off into the realms of syndication, what next for the franchise?
    I guess Sulu is getting a tad old for a series about the Excelsior (Damn it, that would have been sweet!), No real depth possible in a Klingon show (watch this week as another underling gets nailed looking for promotion!), so where to now.
    I know they are formulating a germ of an idea but presumably we are about to have a trek free year, the horror! the horror! awaiting the production machinery to start its wind up to make a new show from scratch.
    Anyone out there hear anything on the grapevine?
    And please lets not have a "this is my idea for a new star trek pilot", honestly, you people!, you can't resist can you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

There will be no Star trek for at least 2-3 years.
    A movie was mooted with a brand new crew set after Enterprise but before TOS and is being written right now.
    However, with the cancellation of Star Trek : Enterprise, no Trek production has a guarantee of being made anymore.
    It may not even happen.
    If it does, it is as I said to feature a new crew and will probably involve the romulan war.
    Main characters may not even survive the movie.
    If that movie happens and does well, it could be the next TV series.

Alternatively, starting as soon as Rick Berman's contract is up which will be soon, other producers will start making pitches to create a new Star Trek series, it may take a long time for one to be actually accepted but, if there are good enough pitches, given Trek already long history on TV, Paramount are bound to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

there will be more trek before 2008 it wont be 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

User45701 wrote:
    there will be more trek before 2008 it wont be 3 years

Just pulling date's out of the air ? or can you back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The word from Paramount is that the franchise needs a break. We've had 18 years of Star Trek in some shape and they feel it's gotten tired. Word is that they'd like to give it a rest for "about 3 years". (Source:Latest issue of Star Trek magazine)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

but its such a gravey train for paramount,
    i cant believe that star trek would end, far too much money to be made for a company to turn down, especially with the DVD boxsets taking off.
    however i have no idea what is coming next.

i suppose if i was that bothered i could try write my own show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Justice wrote:
    but its such a gravey train for paramount,
    i cant believe that star trek would end, far too much money to be made for a company to turn down, especially with the DVD boxsets taking off.
    however i have no idea what is coming next.

i suppose if i was that bothered i could try write my own show :)
    Star Trek: Justice League
    Strange beings from another Dimension are suddenly phase shifted into our own galaxy and join the forces of Q to take over the world, and it's up to the Federation, Superman, Batman, The Flash, Wonderwoman et all to help the various Captains in Starfleet to stop this happening!

Well I thought it was a good idea...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Achilles wrote:
    Strange beings from another Dimension are suddenly phase shifted into our own galaxy and join the forces of Q to take over the world, and it's up to the Federation, Superman, Batman, The Flash, Wonderwoman et all to help the various Captains in Starfleet to stop this happening!

You see what I mean, every sad trekker loser has an equally sad plot line in his head.
    Me I would rather see attack of the plot holes where every no-brainer script trek has produced tries to destroy enterprise so they have to hunt down and kill Brannon Braga to set things to rights.
    And No Bloody Time Travel Episodes, Ever Ever Again!

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Achilles wrote:

You see what I mean, every sad trekker loser has an equally sad plot line in his head.
    Me I would rather see attack of the plot holes where every no-brainer script trek has produced tries to destroy enterprise so they have to hunt down and kill Brannon Braga to set things to rights.
    On you my friend, irony, is a lost concept. Oh and P.S. Enterprise ended a long... long time ago. Oh and erm, you might wanna learn how to use the Quote tags properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

ooohhhhh achilles,

that sounds.. ... .. .. . so EXCITING!

ive allways wondered what a spandex starfleet uniform would be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

CiDeRmAn wrote:

No no no the time travel episodes are some off the best episodes of ST

voy year of hell is great seen it countless times
    there are so many brillent episodes

remember VOY episdoe with the wuiantim slipstream drive where voy crashed on the ice planet and harry and chactay try to find voy and send a message back in time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, but there have simply been too many of them, its like every time they run out of ideas they stick time travel in to spice it up as that what the mindless drones want.
    Really the timeline must be a really messed up place with various trek casts milling from one end to the other, although its fortuitous that they keep winding up in or around the USA in the 20th century, give or take a few years.
    I wonder if Klingon, Romulan or Vulcan crews spend so long yo-yoing through the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

User45701 wrote:
    No no no the time travel episodes are some off the best episodes of ST

voy year of hell is great seen it countless times
    there are so many brillent episodes

remember VOY episdoe with the wuiantim slipstream drive where voy crashed on the ice planet and harry and chactay try to find voy and send a message back in time

oh god no! please no more time travel OR "press the reset button at the end" episodes, that voyager was so fond of!

Come on people, what Star Trek needs is more superheros.... I mean for all we know Superman is a Q... I mean, he can fly and burn things with his eyes can't he? A Quantum Leap/Enterprise crossover.... THAT'D be good. 'Hey you look just like me... I'm from the past... erh I must be your great great great great great grandfather...'.

It's better than some of the 'Enterprise' plotlines...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Achilles wrote:
    I mean for all we know Superman is a Q... I mean, he can fly and burn things with his eyes can't he?

Oh god no, my inner nerd rages. No he's not. The Q are omnipotent from a human perception point of view. Superman has weaknesses and his powers, though impressive are limited to a finite repetoire. If he was a Q, he wouldn't need to fly, he could just disappear and reappear. And he'd never have to go through all those motions to save people, he'd just click his fingers and be done with it. And I could go on and on...

Batman was a Q though...

And this is why when i admit to being a star trek fanboy i get funny looks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. Unless there's lots of Klingon/Human fights, lots of FX thrown in, and @ least one romance (wtf?) thrown in, no-one will really be happy, tbh.

Also, there should be a half decent plot. Set it after DS9, so no fanboys can say "well X happened in the future (if the series was set in the past) so blah blah". Also, bring back those aliens that kill Borg (some voyager ep). They were cool.

A Human/Kligon war, then the join to fight off the aliens.

As for how the aliens come... we'll blame it on some stupid mistake of Q (aka, the Borg f*ck-up).

Stark wrote:
    Oh god no, my inner nerd rages. No he's not. The Q are omnipotent from a human perception point of view. Superman has weaknesses and his powers, though impressive are limited to a finite repetoire. If he was a Q, he wouldn't need to fly, he could just disappear and reappear. And he'd never have to go through all those motions to save people, he'd just click his fingers and be done with it. And I could go on and on...

Batman was a Q though...
    Jesus dude calm down I was taking the proverbial urine. You big geek :rolleyes:
    Anyways clicking yer fingers to get to places is boring, I know if I were a Q I wouldn't just be teleporting myself all over the place, I'd do the cool thing and swim at Warp 1 or at least fly... I mean c'mon just think about it. THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Drop the bloody Cross-over crap Achilles, Christ, why not just clip clop off and make your own thread!
    I made a definite statement at the start of this thread about not wanting people to post their pet pilot nonsense, but if you must do it, keep it on this side of sane, the less superheroes the better.
    Quantum Leap, Comic book heroes, next you will be letting us know of your Xena/DS9 wet dreams, well let me stop you there, I don't want to know!
    Form your own thread, there's a good boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The concepts of sarcasm and irony are lost on you, aren't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

whatever the new series, I hope it has a war.. like ds9. and a proper story arc, with characters you can really feel for and who aren't hopelessly one dimensional tits... again, like ds9.

Garak: "it's just something I overheard when I was hemming someones trousers"

best line ever in a star trek episode? I think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

whatever happened to the series that was supposed to be about cadets in star fleet academy and it was going to be set a few years after tng?

whatever happened to the series that was supposed to be about cadets in star fleet academy and it was going to be set a few years after tng?

Sanity set in and every one realized it would be ****e

Yup, can see it now, OC in space, shudder to think!
    But with the story arc of the second and third Enterprise series did it not lose a lot of people, found it boring til the latter half of series 3, series 4 is far far better, with mini sequences, 2 to 3 episodes long, giving the casual viewer something they can get into without having to sacrifice the same night for months on end. Its this casual viewer that the networks must court to get ratings, The fans will watch egardless of the story quality, but casuals will switch off if it gets boring or impenetrable in the first few minutes.
    Voyager seemed to cope with both kinds of audience really well, indicated by Skys constant repeating of the series in preference to DS9 that gets aired early or late, away from prime time.
    Another saga set on a long and distant voyage perhaps? Or maybe a strike team in and amongst the neutral zones? After all its a big galaxy out there and I am sure there are plenty of threats to the UFP just waiting to be unleashed upon the Alpha quadrant.
    Borg Mk2 anyone?

Mordeth wrote:
    whatever the new series, I hope it has a war.. like ds9. and a proper story arc, with characters you can really feel for and who aren't hopelessly one dimensional tits... again, like ds9.

Garak: "it's just something I overheard when I was hemming someones trousers"

best line ever in a star trek episode? I think so.

Garak had some fantastic lines tbh

Bashir:
    They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle.
    Garak:
    Ahh, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.
    Bashir:
    Garak, this isn't funny.
    Garak:
    I'm serious, doctor. Thanks to your ministrations, I'm almost completely healed, but the damage I did to them will last a lifetime.

BuffyBot wrote:
    The concepts of sarcasm and irony are lost on you, aren't they?
    On him? Yes... quite so.

Whatever Achilles,

More to the point though, how about this for an idea for furthering the series.
    I read a lot of old sci-fi. Read a series of books a while ago by a belfast guy called James White. He wrote a series of stories about a place called Sector General, a huge space bound hospital, staffed by Doctors, Nurses and other crew from every species in known space, a very good bunch of books they were too.
    I reckon this would make an excellent concept for a future Trek show.
    you could set it after Enterprise, Voyager or even after the Undiscovered Country.

Any thoughts on that?

Na star trek was always about exploring tbh even Ds9 which is by far the best star trek ever imho needed a ship to really get it going the writers couldn’t really justify a starship showing up again and being manned by the main cast especially on a hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Whatever they come up with they should ensure that the writers and producers aren't tired. Berman, Braga and co. were at it for the guts of 2 decades. No wonder Enterprise failed. I saw only one episode of season 2, and picked it up again in season 3. And I'm one of the crazy devoted ones.

Bringing Manny Coto in was genius, and he used the huge history we've all heard about over the years e.g. T'Pau, forming of the Federation, even the Klingon ridges.

A shame they screwed up the opportunity to use that history, but I'd say it's too late to try it again. Unless they go further into the future, it's going to look like the same old stories. Although with over 500 episodes of various different Star Treks, it could be difficult to come up with anything new.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

there was that big ad thing on sky1,no more startrek getting laid to rest and levar burton was really happy because he said they have run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

DubTony wrote:
    Bringing Manny Coto in was genius, and he used the huge history we've all heard about over the years e.g. T'Pau, forming of the Federation, even the Klingon ridges.

Yup, my sentiments exactly, they really threw away great opportunities with Enterprise, but the last season only made its demise more painful when you see what they should have been making for us all along.
    3 Seasons of a bloody time cold war, script cold fish more like!
    The last season has tied all that off with a couple of fanatastic episodes and as Dubtony has said ran through the rest of Trek lore, mining it for the best unanswered questions and more to give us the best stuff the series has produced.
    And now, its all over.

Really thought Scott Bakula was gong to be one of the best leading men Trek has ever had, what a disappointment.

Advertisement