Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek, The Next Emanation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

there was that big ad thing on sky1,no more startrek getting laid to rest and levar burton was really happy because he said they have run it into the ground.

I hope you've overstated the fact that he was really happy. But in case you haven't ...

That's rich coming from a guy who directed 2 of the season 4 episodes, many others throughout since TNG and would probably be eating out of a bin by now if it hadn't been for his good fortune to play Geordi LaForge. Most of the work he's done in the last 10 years has emanated from his role in TNG and the fact that he got the directing break in season 6.
    Maybe he'll get stuck starring in more crappy B-movies and doing one off guest voices in cartoons.
    Jesus, some people.

Turns out that part 1 of In A Mirror, Darkly was actually the 700th Star Trek episode to be broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Remember the whole jokey Star Trek - Superman thingy I was talking about on this thread.... ok so I got a little bored yesterday and decided to make a little video... erh... aherm yes If I weren't me I'd say it was sad too :P

Go to the very bottom of this page to check it out: http://www.stevetrek.com/movies/miscvids.html

Sad, very very sad yes I know be quiet already! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DanteX

So back to the topic here's the official news

Scott Backula has said that this is not the end of trek,
    backed by brannon braga and several others

paramount have no imediate plans and 2-3 years seems correct*

*Trek is paramount-viacoms second biggest grosser so constant re-runs expected until ratings drop (2-3 years to show the lot) then the new series rolls

John Frakes has expressed a wish to be involved in future series so mabey an titan based series?

movie 11 is in the works with a signed director and will be based in the far past **(trek past)** and feature a new crew and possibly lead to a featuring series..

any questions feel free to ask but i cannot disclose my source on inside paramount info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Love to see a series based on the titan or something else with a captian like sisko but im not too worried tbh star trek will be back and hopefully it will be good for the first time in years (voyager/enterprise)

Untill then theres always stargate atlantis and tng/ds9 reruns i suppose.

DanteX wrote:
    So back to the topic here's the official news

Scott Backula has said that this is not the end of trek,
    backed by brannon braga and several others

paramount have no imediate plans and 2-3 years seems correct*

*Trek is paramount-viacoms second biggest grosser so constant re-runs expected until ratings drop (2-3 years to show the lot) then the new series rolls

John Frakes has expressed a wish to be involved in future series so mabey an titan based series?

movie 11 is in the works with a signed director and will be based in the far past **(trek past)** and feature a new crew and possibly lead to a featuring series..

any questions feel free to ask but i cannot disclose my source on inside paramount info.

Your source? Eh, Star Trek Magazine mate, all the info you just mentioned is in this bi-month's issue. The outlook for trek at the moment is grim to say the least.

*edit* Ohh and erh, the movie will be set around the year 2010, just after World War Three.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sweet, 2010, nice to see how our history and that of trek will diverge, I mean when do the eugenic wars take place, I seem to remember it being in the '90s.
    When you think about it there are vast swathes of history only alluded to in the various existing trek episodes, plenty to keep us chomping at the bit til the next delicious slice of whatever the trek folks come up with.

Personally, I hate the idea. Stick to the 24th century. As plenty of people have said before I wanna see some kind of DS9 thing with the Voyager crew thrown in. Me needs to see what the crew did after they got home dammit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But do you really think they are going to bring the cast of Voyager out of retirement?
    Surely that would be a dreadful slur on the writing talents of the foulks who make this stuff, if they can't come up with a viable original new premise for a new show. Of course they will have to dig out Counsellor Troi in whatever new show they bring out, I think she has been in every trek series now since TNG, or was she in any DS9 episodes?
    Ah well, 24th century is all well and good but what can you do original with it? Ship out in deepest space, done, Ship saving the UFP from all comers? done, Space station out on the frontier? done.
    Maybe something back on San Fran? A military quick response unit? But the show has always promoted peace and diplomacy, so what on earth does that leave us with?
    The show about cadets? I shudder to think.

I know! What about a Time Directorate show, could keep all you damn Time Travel happy fans happy, not to mention those of you fans of swapping dimensions with characters from completely different series, honestly, I bet you shower own that stupid book where the marvel superheroes are in the TNG universe, and I bet you think that crap is cool too! Deary Deary me!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I think it makes sense for the next Star Trek show to go MUCH further into the future - they could set about creating new next-century ships for all the races
    The series could include the final battles with the borg maybe a war between klingons and romulans (again?).tbh, I would much prefer to see new exploring - go back to the roots of star trek with the weird and quirky planets and strange stuff in space. I was annoyed when i found out enterprise was a prequal as i thought it was a step backwards(literally and not literally) for the series.

is the opposite of literally illiterally? :confused:

Judging by the sort of craft the future Janeway returned in to rescue Voyager in the last episode of that superior series, I don't reckon the Borg are much of a threat to the Alpha Quadrant anymore!
    Maybe longrange space exploration is the way to go, a transwarp conduit to one of the Magellianic clouds perhaps, Stargate atlantis style, some truely unknown territory stuff, but wasn't that Voyager. Its true then, there are no original stories.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    honestly, I bet you shower own that stupid book where the marvel superheroes are in the TNG universe, and I bet you think that crap is cool too! Deary Deary me!

Erh, is the entire concept of irony lost on you completely? I was taking the pish when I was talking about that. Oh and just to note, yeah I saw that book in Forbidden Planet one time, looked at the blurb on the back and said to myself 'Ok... have to remember to forget I ever read that...'. It's actually based off of an old comic when Marvel used to own the Star Trek license for comic books, they had a few crossovers then too. Not to mention when the license was shifted to another company (can't remember who) and they had a storyline at the end of their TOS stint that brought them into our universe where Star Trek was only a tv show. Never read it but have heard about it... what a bloody story.

Irony not lost, but yup, cross-overs can be pretty weak, a bit like the Gary 7 episode of the original series. Ah well, the recent dark universe Enterprise ep. is the best alternate show I have yet seen, very impressive indeed. Why oh why didn't they produce stuff of this calibre during the preceeding 3 series?

Gary 7 wasn't a crossover, the original TOS episode was actually a pilot for another show called, funilly enough, Gary 7, which they later rewrote to include the trek characters because the show got canned, but still decided to use the pilot in Trek.

Thanks for the info, will update trivia files accordingly!

Advertisement