Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free world-wide sms???

Options
  • 20-06-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I don't know if there has been a post relating to this but here goes anyway:

I've seen a good few of these websites where you can send text messages for free all over the world. I'd like to make use of these only for the fact that I'm sh*t scared I expose myself or the recipients to mobile spam.

Anyone know which of these web sites are safe or has anyone had any bad/good experiences with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Whatever network you're on normally has a facility on their site to send them. Some have a prefix set, such as O2, but Meteor don't, and I don't know about Vodafone. They're the safest ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wez wrote:
    Some have a prefix set, such as O2, but Meteor don't, and I don't know about Vodafone.

O2 lets you send to any number, national or international.

Vodafone let you send to any Irish mobile number, not sure about international ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Both O2 and Meteor allow international texts. O2 give you 250 free ones then they charge you, meteor gives you 30 before they do the same. That refreshes each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

In my experience the O2 ones are a bit useless. The messages rarely actually arrive at whatever number you've sent them to, and on the odd occasion that they do they're nearly always a few hours late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

astec123 wrote:
    Both O2 and Meteor allow international texts. O2 give you 250 free ones then they charge you, meteor gives you 30 before they do the same. That refreshes each month.

Some clarification needed here!

1. Meteor do not let you text to an international number from their website (mymeteor.ie). The number you use can only be 10 digits long - i.e. 085 / 086 / 087 and 7 digits. You can text an Irish mobile user who is abroad, but that is not technically an international text.

2. Meteor give you 300 free texts per month. It used to be 30 alright, but this changed around last November.

3. Meteor don't charge if you go over your free limit. You simply can't send any more through their website that month (it renews, afaik on the 1st of each calander month).

It has been a long time since I used o2 webtext, but iirc you could enter an international mobile number and ostensibly send the message, but it may not be received (my sister was in Australia, and never received my webtexts, but always got the ones I sent from my o2 handset). This has very possibly changed in the 18 months since I last tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Genghis wrote:
    1. Meteor do not let you text to an international number from their website (mymeteor.ie). The number you use can only be 10 digits long - i.e. 085 / 086 / 087 and 7 digits. You can text an Irish mobile user who is abroad, but that is not technically an international text.

2. Meteor give you 300 free texts per month. It used to be 30 alright, but this changed around last November.

3. Meteor don't charge if you go over your free limit. You simply can't send any more through their website that month (it renews, afaik on the 1st of each calander month).

Nope ... It all depends on the package you are on with Meteor. If you are on Anytime or Leisuretime or some of the legacy bill pay packages then you get 30 international texts.

If you are on any of the Meteor Minutes, Meteor Talk, Meteor Anytime Plus or Meteor leisure time Plus then you get 300 Irish texts.

Good old murky world of telco tarrifs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,016 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fungus wrote:
    Nope ... It all depends on the package you are on with Meteor. If you are on Anytime or Leisuretime or some of the legacy bill pay packages then you get 30 international texts.

If you are on any of the Meteor Minutes, Meteor Talk, Meteor Anytime Plus or Meteor leisure time Plus then you get 300 Irish texts.

Good old murky world of telco tarrifs ...

I had 30 international texts till they bumped me off the original original Bonus Saver Plus that everyone had in the first few months of them running (when they had no line rental for accounts and all), without telling me, and denying they did it

They also can't explain why I seem to be paying more for every call and text than their quoted rates.

As a customer from about 4 days into them existing, I can see their service in every way has gone away to hell. I'm now only using them out of a totally misguided but lingering national pride, really - I'm sure theres probably more Irish held shares in Vodafone at this stage,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

In my experience the O2 ones are a bit useless. The messages rarely actually arrive at whatever number you've sent them to, and on the odd occasion that they do they're nearly always a few hours late.

They've fixed that.

About 4 months ago their service was slow, and even worse, it was unreliable.

But now they are back to having a decent servise again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

kasintahan wrote:
    They've fixed that.

About 4 months ago their service was slow, and even worse, it was unreliable.

But now they are back to having a decent servise again. :)
    My experience includes 2 days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I am with vodafone and use the vodafone.ie website to send messages nationally, like you mentioned with vodafone I can't text international through the website.

When I enquired about free international texts websites I meant more along the lines of this: http://www.textmefree.com/

Have a read and tell me what you think....
    I don't know what to make of this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

im using the messaginyou one, its a charm, my gf is away, she got a us sim and it was costing a bomb...not anymore moohwhoohahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

im using the messaginyou one, its a charm, my gf is away, she got a us sim and it was costing a bomb...not anymore moohwhoohahaha

Any chance you could give me a link for that..

Have you or your girlfriend had any problems with pop-ups or spamming as a result of using this?

I would be sending from my work computer and don't want any crap getting back to me if you know what I mean!

Advertisement