Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional qualifications

Options
  • 20-06-2005 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm a 3rd year Software Engineering student from DCU, and I was wondering if there's any other qualifications I could persue when I'm finished my degree that would boost my value in the jobs market?

I haven't yet decided what route of IT I'm going to explore, but it'll probably involve programming/developement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

My advice would be to know your profession. There are software engineering graduates hitting the market who don't know a software design pattern from a hole in the ground. Educate yourself to be able to talk about topics related to what you were supposed to be studying so you can talk about it at an interview. Otherwise you will just look like another computer science student who has been digested throught the college system and shat out the otherside.

I sound grumpy because I recently had to conduct interviews of graduates and it wasn't pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

And if your looking for a design patterns book get "Heads first design patterns" by OReily.

Its such an easy read and covers the major patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The best qualification you can have is prior experience. Do some contract work, or even do something on an open-source project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

BizzyC wrote:
    I'm a 3rd year Software Engineering student from DCU, and I was wondering if there's any other qualifications I could persue when I'm finished my degree that would boost my value in the jobs market?
    Just finished CA myself. Most of the people I know who have been looking for a job already have gotten one, and that's before the exam results have come out. Just concentrate on doing a good 4th yr project, maybe get an early start on it. Between that and your INTRA experience, you should be ok for your first job. Then you can hopefully get your employer to pay for an additional qualifications you want to go for. They can be pretty pricey. I've got my eye on a SCJD.

With regards to Software Patterns, you'll do that with Renaat next year. He's got lots of notes on the subject on his website, and links to some e-books that you can get free through the DCU library. It's not terribly interesting tho, I'd just enjoy the summer if I was you. This could be the last one you ever have off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

MrPinK wrote:
    With regards to Software Patterns,
    It's not terribly interesting tho, I'd just enjoy the summer if I was you. This could be the last one you ever have off.

/me looks back to what kernel32 was complaining about.

/me smiles, and nods.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Kernel32 wrote:
    My advice would be to know your profession. There are software engineering graduates hitting the market who don't know a software design pattern from a hole in the ground. Educate yourself to be able to talk about topics related to what you were supposed to be studying so you can talk about it at an interview. Otherwise you will just look like another computer science student who has been digested throught the college system and shat out the otherside.

I sound grumpy because I recently had to conduct interviews of graduates and it wasn't pleasant.

Make it sound like I know what I'm talking about, got it! :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming.

Advertisement