Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

July 14th

Options
  • 20-06-2005 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm due to take my Full test on July 14th. I'm feeling ok about it but there are a few things I'd like to know before it.

Can anyone recommend a good instructor to take a pre test with? One who knows all their stuff and that you have passed your test by his teaching. Dublin/Wicklow region.

There are some things I have been told which I am not too sure about. One is stop signs, I was told before that you have to stop at these for at least 3 seconds. Stop and handbreak for 3 seconds even if the path is clear. Now when I took my Ignition provisional test, I asked the tester if this was so and he said he's never heard anything like it before.

Now if someone could give with as much detail, an explanation of how to (the best way) check each of the following:

(a) tyres, (b) lights, (c) reflectors, (d) indicators, (e) engine oil, (f) coolant,
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, (h) steering, (i) brakes, (j) horn.

I've studied the ROTR book for my theory which I did well in, but how important is it for the full test? If you don't know the answer to the questions they ask what happens? How many questions do they ask?

Also, what is considered the best slow down approach say if you are in an 80 zone and approach a 50 zone, is it best to lay off the accelleration a good few metres away and time it so you hit 50 at the exact point of crossing the sign or is it best to apply the breaks slowly closer to the sign so you hit 50 crossing it?

Is it ok to anticipate the green light if you see junction lights going orange, is it ok to get into gear then or is it best to wait till the lights go green, then get into gear and let down the hand break and accellerate? I know it's only a matter of a second or so but just curious which is best looked upon.

is it ok to cruise at 50kmph in 5th gear if the road is straight and there are 2 lanes and you can see a decent distance or is it best looked upon to stay in 4th or 3rd maybe. I was told that you should keep it in 3rd/4th but I was also told by another person that that's not really necessary today with modern breaking systems if you do happen to get into danger you can always break?? Or is it just out of the question to go into 5th gear in a 50 zone?

My instructor told me before that when reversing or making a 3 point turn or moving out from a parked position at the side of the road, there is a procedure you have to follow which involves indicating, checking mirrors, looking around your shoulder, checking mirrors again, releasing handbreak, keeping an eye on mirrors and then make the move. Is all this necessary?

When at a roundabout that is on a flat surface and waiting for a break in traffic, is it ok not to apply the handbreak? Also, if you think a car which is passing the exit to your 2nd exit to your right where all the cars are coming from, is going to the exit directly to your right (where no cars can't come from) is it ok to work the cluth preparing for that moment that they may turn off (if you know the roundabout, think of the one at loughlinstown hospital coming from Shankill, going to the N11 northbound, if a car was coming from the hospital to Shankill passing cars coming from the N11 southbound).

Also, has anyone had experience in Churchtown? How is the route? Is there a pre determined route?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I’ve no recommendations regards instructors but would be interested in well-regarded Dublin ones myself as my car test should be up shortly, my notification of test is due any day now and I’m actually going to be inured in a car thanks to the person who decided to crush my bike. =]

I know the ISM have some excellent drivers who know how to control their vehicles; I watched one young lad do an eight-point turn to get his car through 180 in a space not much larger than a large parking space. Great precision.

I won’t comment on the terribly bad driving I’ve seen from some driving instructors especially one near me who allows his students to mount the footpath at speed, and proceed with manoeuvres when obviously out of control, and who drives around while sitting in the left hand seat…

I don’t know anything about the car test really, but I’d imagine for stop signs once you come to a full and complete stop, make your observations for pulling away and do so safely; it should one, be sufficient and two take around three seconds.

When your walking out to your vehicle with the examiner you could mention that you completed your daily vehicle inspection before leaving the house that morning, only say this is you know your stuff and there’s nothing you should have twigged on the car. You probally won’t be asked to actually check things, it’ll be more, “How would you check this?”

(a) Tyres > You’d check your pressures (know them) and inspect the tire for damage to the sidewalls and insure that your thread depth is adequate.
    (b) Lights > Switch them on and go take a look. If you don’t get the opportunity to clean your car before the test at least make sure that your light covers and licence plates are sparkling.
    (c) Reflectors > I’m baffled, once they’re present and clean they should be fine. =]
    (d) Indicators, switch on right indicator get out look, switch on left and get out and look. Do not switch on your hazard lights, this only checks the bulbs, your particular car might have hazard lights/turn signals wired and their controls wired and fused differently. It’s possible, not likely.
    (e) Engine oil, get your manual out and find out where it goes in. Your cars manual will have the procedure on this.
    (f) Coolant, again rtfm.
    (g) Washer fluid, manual.
    (h) Steering. I have a guess but not only could it be wrong it could be very wrong so I’m saying nothing just in case while your on test your brain decides to fire out a random memory instead of what your instructor has told you. =]
    (i) Brakes. Same again.
    (j) Horn. Push the button, but absolutely not before 7am or after 11pm at which times its only to be used in emergency’s. And having consideration for your neighbours not till later in the morning and not to late in the evening. Really do it on that back road in the arse end of no where.

The 25 questions you can be asked on test…
    http://www.axa.ie/pdf/taking_test.pdf
    You’ll also be asked to identify various street signs, so know them.

You’ll want to reduce speed on your approach to a speed limit sign, you do not want to risk even being a smidgen over the limit when crossing it and for the test you’ll want to use your brakes sparingly. You want to move smoothly at all times, you want your examiner to hardly feel the effects of acceleration or deceleration at all.

Anticipating green lights is the perfect thing to do, not only green lights but also other road users. The test is a test of observation and anticipation. Being able to control your vehicle is good too.

I’m not sure about cruising a car. I know on a bike you should be in an appropriate gear for the speed your in to have maximum engine braking (for test purposes) and power (and engine braking for real life). That said don’t be working the engine that hard, keep it quiet. It depends on your particular vehicle.

Actually, Don’t cruise, if your doing that your available engine braking will be curtailed and you’ll need it if your not going to use the brakes.

When doing your turnabout (three, four, five, ten whatever point turn) you need to at all times give accurate signals and make the correct observations. I haven’t due a three point turn or driven a vehicle with four wheels with front wheel steering since 1999 so I can’t recall the details of that manoeuvre, in any case, that one you’ll need to be able to do, not talk about so you’ll need time in a car doing, over and over again.

I’m also not qualified to talk about when and where to use the handbrake. As for the clutch, the clutch should be in, and then when safe to proceed it should be out smoothly and promptly and you’re away. But find out from your instructor what you can get away with on test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

thanks for the feedback! any more feedback on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

The link to the 25 questions doesnt work and the axa site is down :rolleyes: Can ye get another link, i`d be interested to see these meself.

Advertisement