Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about going plasma...

Options
  • 20-06-2005 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I've ditched my idea for a projector as I think a plasma display is better value for money. But I have a few questions before I go all out:

1) is ghosting still a problem?

2) I've been told that plasma displays require re-gasing every X yrs, is this still true?

3) I have been told that the lifetime of a plasma display is anything from 3yrs to 9yrs to upto 20yrs, is there a definitive answer to this?

4) As HD-TV is "supposedly" comming out this time next year, is it worthwhile to buy a HD-TV ready device now, even if it costs upwards of 1,000 euro extra? I took a look at one in DID electric and it was a beaut, but at 3,000 its much more than I wanted to pay

5) what is a good price to pay for a Plasma Display

I was considering getting a Samsung PS-42D5S for €2200 but have yet decided as its not fully HD-TV, its partially HD-TV ready what that means, I'm not entirely sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

some of the questions i cant answer but if your buying a new plasma display and want it to be HDTV compatable with sky when they launch there service make sure it has a HDMI input, but this is because they want to be able to use copy protection.

Some of the best displays you can expect to pay around the €3000 to €10,000 price.

Personally when im going HDTV i will buy LCD because it lasts longer and is more energy efficient (sp?)

Plasma is soon going to be phased out as ive heard because LCD is getting bigger screen sizes by the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sparky_S wrote:
    Personally when im going HDTV i will buy LCD because it lasts longer and is more energy efficient (sp?)

Plasma is soon going to be phased out as ive heard because LCD is getting bigger screen sizes by the month.
    Plasma lifetimes are about 20 years at 4hrs a day with some new plasma at 40yrs, just like LCD's.

The battle between plasma and LCD is going to keep on going, the disadvantages of each are slowly being solved.

SolarNexus wrote:
    1) is ghosting still a problem?

2) I've been told that plasma displays require re-gasing every X yrs, is this still true?

3) I have been told that the lifetime of a plasma display is anything from 3yrs to 9yrs to upto 20yrs, is there a definitive answer to this?

4) As HD-TV is "supposedly" comming out this time next year, is it worthwhile to buy a HD-TV ready device now, even if it costs upwards of 1,000 euro extra? I took a look at one in DID electric and it was a beaut, but at 3,000 its much more than I wanted to pay

5) what is a good price to pay for a Plasma Display

I was considering getting a Samsung PS-42D5S for €2200 but have yet decided as its not fully HD-TV, its partially HD-TV ready what that means, I'm not entirely sure.

2) The only place I have heard this from is someone who worked in Currys. Its bull.

3) Most manufactures say 30,000hrs, which is 20years @ 4hrs a day

4) Do you want high def? With HD-DVD, Blu ray and next gen consoles supporting high def I think its a worthy investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it's mainly for TV, a plasma may be a good idea. If it's for movies definately go for the projector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

blorg wrote:
    If it's mainly for TV, a plasma may be a good idea. If it's for movies definately go for the projector.
    to be perfectly honest, it would be for a bit of everything: gaming, television, computer display etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

For sky HD you don't necessarily need HDMI. DVI will also work and sky are saying that you will be able to connect via component also (but this is not a digital connection!). Its always good to hold on as things will get cheaper but you can't wait forever. Plasma is not going anywhere soon. If it were manufactures would not be releasing bigger and better screens every month. Pictures seem different between plasma and LCD and it is down to personal preference. Some say lcd looks to artificial or something where as plasma looks more natural.

To acces all of Sky's HD services you will need a DVI/HDMI connection that is HDCP (a form of copy protection) compliant. From what I understand not all of the channels will use HDCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

does that mean no recording off the telly?

No recording HD from Sky at least. If devices do come out that allow it the copy protection can be updated to ban these devices. But they will get around it eventully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I've heard from numerous people and sources that plasmas do require Re-gassing every X years...

Also they guzzle down electricity like theres no tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I'm getting my attic converted next month and
    I was thinking of buying a Plasma for the room.
    But for the sole purpose of watching dvds.What is
    the best option for dvds; Plasma,LCD or a projector?

PWEI wrote:
    I'm getting my attic converted next month and
    I was thinking of buying a Plasma for the room.
    But for the sole purpose of watching dvds.What is
    the best option for dvds; Plasma,LCD or a projector?
    I would go for a projector. It gives you a bigger image and for cheaper. But requires more space.
    I've heard from numerous people and sources that plasmas do require Re-gassing every X years...
    It is complete and utter bullshit

http://www.google.ie/search?q=plasma+screen+regassing&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official

Advertisement