Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a server

• 20-06-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

ok, so im on eircom broadband home starter.
    Basically the thing is getting my ip address to acess my game servers or my ftp (from another pc)
    The ip address of the netopia modem is always 192.168.1.2
    my ip address always changes when i look into the settings

what i want to know is how to set up a server that my friend across town can join (ie half-life 2)
    if i give him my ip address, eg letss say at this point in time its 83.152.3.45

when he tries to join theres nothing at that hostname or ip

so how do you directly connect to the net to be able to set upp a server?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheToast

Find out what port and protocol (TCP or UDP) you need for whatever game/service with google and then enable port forwarding.

Another option is a DMZ host. google for more info.

http://www.portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

what you do is.

1. go to www.findmyip.com, the ip you see here will be the ip, your friend connects to

2. now, find out what port the game or ftp server you are setting up uses (lets say 21 for ftp)

3. go to the menu of your router, put the ip address you got on www.findmyip.com into your address bar and press enter

4. your now at the menu of your router, default password is blank, otherwise you should know it, look for the menu tab named either virtual server or Port forwarding depending on what make of router you have.

5. now, just do as is done on the pic provided, keep in mind that the one ringed in the pic is port 21 which is default for ftp, you can change this to whatever the default port is for your game, also make sure that you put your internal ip in the red ring in the pic

6. your all set up to host your own server, and any time your ip changes, let your m8's know, and tell them toi connect to your new ip

server2.jpg

Advertisement